• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3rd Annual Chicago Area Fall Picnic & Group Drive

It's BACK! The Fall Picnic and Cruise! It's time to dust off those NSXs.

Our usual turnout for this event is around 12-14 cars - we can go for more!

We have this down to a science now: Delnor Woods in St. Charles for a picnic. Then group drive through the rolling hills of the countryside, using our time-tested route. Maybe add a dinner and drinks location for afterward - perhaps the Filling Station in St. Charles

DATE HAS BEEN SET:

Saturday, October 9th., Delnor Woods, St. Charles

The picnic grounds have bathroom facilities, a giant pavilion, a playground for kids, large field for dogs, and a waterfall and walking path. It's a great event if you want to bring the whole family.

The fun begins around Noon.

This event costs next to nothing. It's the perfect size for our Chicago area group. PM me if you have any questions. And of course any input is welcome.

JUST AN IDEA: If folks are interested, Addison is not far away - we could link on a karting event at the end of the evening at CIR.

Link from the last time we had one of these events...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93533

Link to the facilities (not very good pictures - look on the thread instead)

http://www.stcparks.org/Parks/Delnor-Woods-Park.asp

LIST OF NSXers who can attend...

Frank Oles
Q (Sean)
Ajay
BKenney (Bob)
plumcraezy (Rae & Dave, schedule permitting)
troca (Tony)
hardcore-nsx (Ryan)
rutrx7 (Brian)
Pruhnke (Phil)
Valenzul (Val)
ChitownNSX (Joe)
Shogunnsx (Jeff)
Brylek
Bobert486 (Jackson)

Question marks (let me know if you can make it the 9th)...
NSX6 (Robert)
ALSWEL (Jeremy)
nsxtasy (Ken)
Sketch

Last edited:
Sept. 18th is my only open Saturday, but I'm game for whatever we can put together.

Also, I'll be at the NASA Autobahn event on Sept. 11th if anyone would like to come out.

Dave and I will come whenever it is as long as I do not get called in to work.

Cool. I received a lot of PMs from people. Trying to coordinate the date that works best for everyone.

So far, I've heard back from:

nsx2tall (randy)
plumcraezy (rae & dave)
rutrx7 (brian)
Q (sean)
DRZZZ (dave)
synth19 (ginash)
troca (tony)

Still waiting to hear back from Bob, Val, Joe, Jeremy, Ajay. But it seems like we have the Chicago Crew back in the house!

Talking to everyone it seems like the most people can make it the weekend of October 9-10. People need some time to plan for this - lots of folks have races and other events in September, and if we push it any later weather could get crummy.

Question is Saturday October 9 or Sunday October 10.

Would people rather have it on Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks, Frank. OK, now for a few other details. Did you have to pay for this site (I thought you did last time) so what do we each chip in, or do you want to figure this out after we see who shows-and is this a rain or shine event? If I remember we had to bring everything, or were there any grilles in the park? Is it time to start listing who will bring what? We should have an head count estimate of members and any guests that will attend (I have two non NSX friends that would like to participate making it 4 for my head count). I think at a minimum we need grille and combustibles, eating implements, drinks and food.
Is the game plan to do some early picnicing, then a cruise, then a more formal meal (where?)? Tony

More details to come. I don't want to formally post the schedule until a few more details are worked out. But to answer a few of your questions...

1. FEES
The rental of the grounds was $50. I'll get money from people before we leave on the group drive.

2. WEATHER
Rain or shine, this thing is happening! The pavilion we have rented is plenty big, so there will be enough room to set everything up and eat without getting rained on. If it's too rainy, we can bag the group drive and go for another activity - my suggestion here is Chicago Indoor Racing in Addison, which is only 15 minutes away.

3. SCHEDULE
Still working this out. What worked well in the past was: arrive around noon. Grill and eat. Hang for a few hours. Group drive around 4. If folks want to eat after the drive, we can stop at the Filling Station - nothing expensive. I'm trying to keep the cost of this event down because I know how tight things are lately. I'm also up for karting afterwards - still waiting for input on this.

4. HEAD COUNT
Lets try and have an accurate head count by October 1, that would be great. But I'm not going to be strict about this. If you don't want to commit and the day comes and you feel like showing up, please come. If you want, bring a few friends too, that's cool. I'm sure there will be enough food to go around. This is an informal event. There is a playground for kids, space for dogs to run, etc. Please PM me or post up in this thread.

5. FOOD AND SUPPLIES

NOTE: Please bring your own water/beverages to drink (and share).

I've contacted each of you individually as far as what to bring from the picnic. If you haven't heard from me, please bring one of the following items, which are open for everyone to bring:
• Side Dish
• Salad (pasta, couscous, veggi, hummus, etc.)
• Dessert

I also need someone to bring a boom box and bean bag or some other outdoor game. If I could have some volunteers for those items, that will be great.

I'll take care of the grilling meats and table cloths. (chicken breast, burgers, and a few veggi burgers).

6. GROUP DRIVE
I will recon the picnic grounds and the group drive route the week before the meet. I'll provide maps so nobody gets lost. It's a 60 mile route.

Last edited:
I'm officially out, too... I have my last campout that weekend with my daughter for Indian Princesses.

Frank, I would love to scope out a route with you prior to the picnic:wink:

I'm 75% sure I'll be there. Hopefully, I don't get called into work.:mad:

Bobert486 - hope you can make it. I can tell you some stories of the adventures your NSX was on before you had it - I MISS that car!

This weekend, I visited the grounds/pavilion to make sure everything was in order and it's perfect.

Also, I test drove the route for the cruise portion of this event - no construction or crummy pavement, so it should be a good drive, weather permitting.

Unless people want to step forward and volunteer for specific picnic supplies, I'll be PMing people this week to request a couple items from each of you.

All we need at this point is good weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Bobert486 - hope you can make it. I can tell you some stories of the adventures your NSX was on before you had it - I MISS that car!

This weekend, I visited the grounds/pavilion to make sure everything was in order and it's perfect.

Also, I test drove the route for the cruise portion of this event - no construction or crummy pavement, so it should be a good drive, weather permitting.

Unless people want to step forward and volunteer for specific picnic supplies, I'll be PMing people this week to request a couple items from each of you.

All we need at this point is good weather.

Frank,

Would you care to describe your "test drive"?:wink: (JK)

Dave

The NSX Fall Picnic is only a week away!

This event will happen rain or shine. The Pavilion is big enough to house everyone, even if weather sucks. Should it rain, we'll bag the group drive and head over to Chicago Indoor Racing instead, for those who are interested.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

11:30-12 Arrive and setup
12-2 Eating!
2-4 Hang out, games, RC Car grand prix, break dancing contest:eek:
4-5 Pack up, assemble for drive, drive to start (maps provided)
5-6:30 Group Drive
7-9 Drinks/food at The Filling Station in St. Charles
9-? Swingers Party, Drugs, hang with Lindsay Lohan (if out of rehab)
2am Lawn Job on Randy J's front lawn

I've contacted each of you individually as far as what to bring from the picnic.

I'm bringing the grilling meats and table cloths. (chicken breast, burgers, and a few veggi burgers).

Everyone is responsible for bringing their own beverages to drink.

If you haven't heard from me, please bring one of the following items, which are open for everyone to bring:
• Side Dish
• Dessert

I also need someone to bring a boom box and bean bag or some other outdoor game. If I could have some volunteers for those items, that will be great.

Thanks!

Choose your lawn carefully. After I win both the Midwest and Great Lakes NASA regions this coming weekend I'll have plenty of time to hunt you down. And just for good measure, I've got an old clutch and 3 sets of tires-- not to mention all-wheel-drive. Your yard will be ready to plant corn when I'm done.

I have not heard from you so we will be bringing one of the following

If you haven't heard from me, please bring one of the following items, which are open for everyone to bring:
• Side Dish
• Dessert

I have not heard from you so we will be bringing one of the following

• Side Dish
• Dessert

So what exactly are you bringing so we both don't bring the same thing? :)

Back