• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

55watts HID for $65 with LIFETIME WARRANTY!?

Re: 55watts HID for $65 with LIFETIME WARRANTY!??!??!

I think some Prime members have tried them and the consensus is that they are ok, but have reliability problems in the long run. But, i guess with a lifetime warranty....

I've had slim 55w, 4500k bulbs, for the past couple of years without problems.

Also have the ddm 35w slim ballast, 4500k bulb, hi/lo on my Ducati for over a year with out problems as well.

Last edited:

I think some Prime members have tried them and the consensus is that they are ok, but have reliability problems in the long run. But, i guess with a lifetime warranty....

I've used another brand of 55watts HID with lifetime warranty for my other 3 cars and the only hiccup was installing them too close to the headers. I fixed the issue by ceramic coating the headers. the HID ballasts were left in the original position.

I've used these exclusively on three of my cars now. Out of the 3 sets one of them had a ballast go bad after about 2yrs of daily driving duties. The warranty process was a bit lengthy (about 6 wks door to door) but I would say they did go above and beyond what I expected in terms of warranty service. They even called me personally when I emailed them asking what's taking so long.

I'd buy them again in a heartbeat only because you can't beat the price. I'd say they're a B set. They use to be an A- set. For an A set at a reasonable, but slightly more expensive price, try http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. Obviously OEM is an A+ in my book.

I have DDM 55W slim ballast kits on three vehicles for a combined operating time of 7 years daily driving duties.

NO problems, I recommend them :smile:

Dave

Don't do it. I can tell you from personal experience they are reluctant to honor the warranty and their ballasts are unreliable so you will be needing it. Do an internet search for the company and you might be shocked what else shows up. It has been discussed before so just search for it on here and you can find other reviews.

Last edited:
I also have the DDM 55W slim ballasts 4500K HID kit on the NSX for 3 years. I don't drive mine everyday. I maybe turn on the head lights twice a week on average.

Cheap, bright, and easy to hide.

No problems with mine so far.

I don't even have my receipt even if they do go bad.

Honestly if a $65.00 kit goes south after a year it's really not an issue. It's only $65.00. I had my $485.00 Xectronic kit go bad in 3 years and was dissapointed.

Honestly if a $65.00 kit goes south after a year it's really not an issue. It's only $65.00. I had my $485.00 Xectronic kit go bad in 3 years and was dissapointed.

I agree its not alot of money .... I remember when those faux high wattage blue halogen bulbs came out they were the same price and they would burn out every six months.

LIFETIME WARRANTY! LOL that's a joke. Good luck getting them to replace there faulty product. I know I couldn't.

But they are cheep and, the newer versions are more reliable according to other owners then the older versions. But if you have issues, from my experience your on your own.

Cheap so give it a try. Lifetime warranty on any of these products is a joke. You could get lucky if you spend enough time annoying them about it.

I've had 6 DDM/Apexcone kits and had 1 problem with 1 ballast that went bad after 3+ years of daily use. Since I couldn't track down my original receipt and payment info (I probably threw it away), I just bought another kit at $40 since the DDM Tuning store is 10 minutes away from my house.

My Apexcone/DDM kit in my NSX has been running fine for the past 4.5+ years. Then again it gets very minimal usage (only about once a month on average)...

I see some of the M3 guys like these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=170
I will be looking into these myself.

Note that the above are 35W kits. At $150 a set you'd be able to get 3 sets of the 35W DDM tuning ones (or 2.5 sets of the 55W kit)... I think I'd rather have 3 sets instead of just 1 set.

It has just been a PITA to deal with these. They may be cheap up front but you know they will fail and then you have to spend your time and effort to deal with the failure in addition to getting pulled over and possibly fined. Often cheap up front costs means higher life cycle costs and if you are going to keep your car a few years it's worth it to find a kit with a proven track record IMO.

... in addition to getting pulled over and possibly fined.

:confused: Can you explain this? For CA, all HID kits are illegal as they aren't SAE or DOT approved. Then again I've never heard of any NSX owners getting pulled over and fined...

Back