• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

6-Spd Manual with many problems just @ 8k miles...

My NSX is pretty new at only about 8k miles and only 2 years old ('03).

Since the car was new off the lot, the shifting was unusually notchy, and when posted threads about that here, everyone reassured me that it was normal. Now, after 8k miles, when I am driving normally, and shift from first to second gear, and I open the throttle, the car abruptly SNAPS out of 2nd gear back in to neutral. Basically the car does not want to stay in 2nd.

Does this have to do with the gearbox, synchros, or clutch going bad so soon? wow, I expected a lot more from a car worth $89k, and rated the #1 most reliable car in the world in '91.

Any information would be appreciated.

for some reason that reminds me of the snap ring issue, however I've never heard of it happening on a 6 speed tranny.

well i love keyes acura. i have a 98 with supercharger and their tech vic i think is great. call josh assistant service manager and tell him bob sent you. 818 782 1120. :smile:

92NSX said:
A bad clutch wouldn't cause it to jump out of gear.

Well, I would not be so sure about that. It sure sounds like this clutch has been not completely disengaging, and over time it has taken out the second gear syncro.

If you put the car in first and are cruising, then just blip the throttle does the shifter move for and aft? If it does you may have a broken snap ring. If this behavior is only second gear, you will need a trans rebuild, and your clutch may need replacement. Either whjay whatever is wrong the trans will neeef to be R&R'ed and fixed.

I know this sounds grim, but it should all be fixed under warranty:).

Had you had the car in for service about the poor shifting? If so what were you told by Acura??

HTH,
LarryB

most of the time at honda they will just replace the trans with a factory new one instead of repairing the faulty one. some times it is a factory remanufactured one....with an nsx i dont know if they have any factory remanufactured available.

Thank you for all of your helpful replies...

Bastanza, when I first got my car, I did notice the super notchy shifting especially from 1st to 2nd, it almost ruined the experience of driving a sports car of this nature. I took it in to Santa Monica Acura and they told me it was "normal".

when I am in 1st gear and I blip the throttle, I do see the shift knob move back and forth a little. I can feel it with my hand too. The past few weeks, (only in 2nd gear) when I would open the throttle, the shift knob would vibrate A LOT, so much you could even hear it, but when you would let go of the gas it would be ok.

For the record, I dont "abuse" my car but I do drive it hard most of the time, quick shifting, and in VTEC.. the way the NSX should be driven. I barely even drive it, I've had it for 2 years and only a little over 8k miles. My daily driver is a 05 IS300... I am looking to get rid of my NSX.

Lastly, I drove my friend's 03 S2000 the other day, and even though you cannot compare it to the NSX, the gearbox felt A LOT better. A LOT less notchy, crisper shifts, and overall way better feel when shifting...

Well for sure something HAS been wrong. If you think the S2000 shifter feels better, your NSX must feel terrible. I have driven both and I disliked the S200 shifter very much. Too notchy for me, especially compared to the NSX.

Take it in for service, find the original paperwork abnout them inspecting it and saying it is OK. Keep it handy:).

Good Luck,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Well for sure something HAS been wrong. If you think the S2000 shifter feels better, your NSX must feel terrible. I have driven both and I disliked the S200 shifter very much. Too notchy for me, especially compared to the NSX.

Take it in for service, find the original paperwork abnout them inspecting it and saying it is OK. Keep it handy:).

Good Luck,
LarryB

Take it to the dealer. Simple as that. At least you have the security blanket of the warranty.

Not to hijack this thread but I'm shocked that Larry didn't prefere the S2000 shifter. I owned two S2K's prior to my NSX and while the NSX shifter is good, it's not in the same league as the S2K, IMO.

Last edited:
IS300nowNSXsoon said:
My NSX is pretty new at only about 8k miles and only 2 years old ('03).

Since the car was new off the lot, the shifting was unusually notchy, and when posted threads about that here, everyone reassured me that it was normal. Now, after 8k miles, when I am driving normally, and shift from first to second gear, and I open the throttle, the car abruptly SNAPS out of 2nd gear back in to neutral. Basically the car does not want to stay in 2nd.

Does this have to do with the gearbox, synchros, or clutch going bad so soon? wow, I expected a lot more from a car worth $89k, and rated the #1 most reliable car in the world in '91.

Any information would be appreciated.

it does sound like a snap ring failure. everything is only as strong as its weakest link. just be optimistic.... now you can get a 4.55 :biggrin:

My 02 with 4000 miles use to and still does grind into second, especially when cold and at higher RPM's. I changed to GM FM oil last week but it still is notchy and grinds from first to second. So it might be the same type of problem. No jumping out of gear though! Let me know what happens to yours. I might take mine into Keys also as Pasadena (now Crown City Acura) same people) looked at it and said there was nothing wrong. Of course they left the oil drain bolt loose and oil was dripping after I got home that day!

BH

Josh @ Keys took care of me.. The car runs like new now.

Santa Monica Acura really lacks in customer service, I will never take any of my Acuras there even though it is just down the street from my house.

I am planning on selling my NSX. It only has 9900 miles and is in perfect condition.

Here is the link on here with the info:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50487

The car is still available but HRE's were sold. Stock wheels are on the car right now and asking $68k. Email me at [email protected] or PM me here if interested.

Thank you.

Back