• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$66k Kia!??!!

It was just brought to my attention by jalopnik that Kia makes a $66k sedan? I totally missed that one. Wonder how it compares to the equus.

The Kia K9 is apparently built on the same platform as the Hyundai Genesis and Equus and as a result probably shares a lot of parts. Not a simple rebadge, but definitely closely related.

Until 2005, the Optima literally was a rebadged Sonata. The cars have diverged since though although I imagine there is still powertrain and platform sharing.

It's basically an Equus. Some styling differences, HUD, trim etc but Engine, gearbox, chassis are all Equus.

But just remember - The loaded Equus with Exec package competes with a LS460L which lists for $96K!

Saw one on the road, and while I can say that they are certainly very nice, $66k can land you in a pre-depreciated used car market that has an incredible assortment of options. What do you think the 1st year depreciation of a K900 is going to be? $15,0000? More?

So I did a quick search on Ebay for Genesis Sedans (V6) and there are quite a few 2011-2012 models in the low 20's. What did these cars cost new?

I noticed some of them have small blue LCD screens and no NAV, is that a major option on these cars? Also noticed some don't have sunroofs.

I know absolutely nothing about Hyundai or Kia, guess I should pay them a visit but it seems they depreciate quite a bit in the first year making them great DD with that awesome 10 year warranty!

Nav is usually part of the premium package on the V6 and standard on the V8. 2012 was a major uodate with more power and an 8 speed trans. I would personally go after a clean 2012 V6 and not bother with the V8.

- - - Updated - - -

No sunroof is a plus to me. It's nothing but a source of wind noise. The car is supremely quiet. The HVAC is stellar. Forget the roof. Put it on 70 degrees, tune out the outside completely, and throw some jazz on the XM. You will never miss the sunroof. You want open top get in your NSX.

I would buy that at the asking price if it checked out. A loaded 2012 with 23K miles? That's a lot of car for not even base base Camry money.

Can't imagine anyone would buy an expensive Kia.
What's the TCO on a car like that?
The depreciation has to be 2x a normal car.
Wouldn't surprise me if that $66,000 kia TCO is the same as a $120,000 car.
But hey, why drive a Porsche when you can drive a Kia right?

Both Kia and Hyundai... for a LONG time now has had a guaranteed trade in value program. That has curbed depreciation substantially.

Back