• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 street/track 02+ conv, NA2 type r, Have questions

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but not to NSX's I grew up with one sitting in the garage 1995 NSX-T red 5 speed. I recently purchased an NSX off the forum from down in florida http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/167258-1992-NSX-blk-blk-5-speed-51k-JH4NA1150NT000412 back in April. Many people talk about the ultimate NSX, well I am sure there will be many faster, more h/p, handle better, etc I plan on building the nsx to best I can.

Engine: Right now I plan on having SOS handle the engine, transmission, and turbo. I will be going all out on this, SOS: stage 3 3.5L FI engine, twin turbo, built 6 speed conversion etc. The supercharger on it along with the headers, exhaust, intake, and fuel system will be coming off and will be sold.

Body: The body I am not doing anything over the top, 02+ NA2 type R, front end conversion, type r hood and spoiler, lights and emblems but will probably keep it all black with some simple body modifcations as well. The slightly wider front fenders with JDM markers, the downforce rear difusser, and the new short antenna and spoon mirrors if I can manage to get my hands on them. And will be selling all of the parts coming off the body as well.

Interior: The interior will stay how it is for the most part besides "fixing" some things from the previous owners that I do not like. It already has type R style wheel and shift boot, and will be adding the nsx-r door sills as well. I am a sucker for JDM what can I say. I just plan to put in a DD stereo in place of the single din and have centerconsole door switch panels and navi pod painted a matte black, harness bar with harnesses, have the jdm navi pod with screen put in for monitoring the engine vitals, and I am still in debate about if I will recover the seats or put in racing seats. If it recover them it will be black with red perforated inserts, and stitching.

Suspension and brakes: The car already has the stoptech BBK on the front, and I will be installing it on the rear as well. Every upgraded part possible for the suspension, all bars, bushing, links etc. To many to list.

Wheels: I am not sure on what I will do for wheels I am hoping that the talk of forged replica of the 02+ wheels but in a 18/17 stagger will happen. I just know I need to get those HRE's off of it asap, maybe fine for Miami, but not New Hampshire.

Misc: Lithium Ion battery group buy, some engine cosmetics, bolt kit, hoses, throttle body cover, radiator, radiator duct, etc.

My main question I have at the moument is on the suspension. I had purchased the Tein mono flex coil overs with the EFDC, But I am considering instead going with the Moton Motorsport Suspension Shock Absorbers by ScienceofSpeed, I want this car to be the best possible with out getting into the extremely exspensive custom made parts releam. I am sure the motorsports will handle much better on the track, which is my ultimate plan for the car, well still driving it to the track, and around town, to the ocean etc in the summer. Has anyone out there had both set ups to compare? And would you consider the extra 3 grand to go from the 3 way to 4 way set up to be worth it at all?
Any insight would be greatly appericated, especially from the track guys.

welcome..after reading your intro i take it you are from new england..if so you should spend some time talking to turbo2go he is up your way..tracks his car and has a top tier racing suspension.He is very good at absorbing info from prime and has learned alot over the years.

Ok thanks for the advice, appericate it.

Got your PM. I have triple adjustable KW's and I just ran them at NHMS. Here I am braking hard from 120 or so as we were able to use the south NASCAR oval. One throttle blip to go to 3 and the guy's battery died. LOL. But I, moving. I am at about the same skill level as my friend with a Z06 and he was beating me around Watkins Glen. I was 4-5 seconds a lap faster than him and the difference was suspension. 4-5 seconds is an enormous difference around the tiny 1.6 mile NHMS track.

Too much to type here, I definitely don't think you need 4 ways but you also need to know Motorsport dampers squeak. They will make a check valve noise that sounds like a bird chirp when you go over bumps. If you can not deal with that on the street, get a street damper. The KW's are 10K a set, if you want to ride in my car and see you can.

I would urge you to do some track work before you go all out building this car. Even if not in this car. It will change your perspective on mods. Also, safety.... If you're going to track the car you must seriously consider a rollbar at a minimum and preferably a cage. You have a Targa so caging this car would render that useless. The just a lot I could tell you if you are serious, but it's too much to type. I'll PM you my phone number.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if you can tell but I am MOVING for the short straight that there is. I was exiting the oval pretty fast already.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DPuFwYR6YQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Got your PM. I have triple adjustable KW's and I just ran them at NHMS. Here I am braking hard from 120 or so as we were able to use the south NASCAR oval. One throttle blip to go to 3 and the guy's battery died. LOL. But I, moving. I am at about the same skill level as my friend with a Z06 and he was beating me around Watkins Glen. I was 4-5 seconds a lap faster than him and the difference was suspension. 4-5 seconds is an enormous difference around the tiny 1.6 mile NHMS track.

Too much to type here, I definitely don't think you need 4 ways but you also need to know Motorsport dampers squeak. They will make a check valve noise that sounds like a bird chirp when you go over bumps. If you can not deal with that on the street, get a street damper. The KW's are 10K a set, if you want to ride in my car and see you can.

I would urge you to do some track work before you go all out building this car. Even if not in this car. It will change your perspective on mods. Also, safety.... If you're going to track the car you must seriously consider a rollbar at a minimum and preferably a cage. You have a Targa so caging this car would render that useless. The just a lot I could tell you if you are serious, but it's too much to type. I'll PM you my phone number.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if you can tell but I am MOVING for the short straight that there is. I was exiting the oval pretty fast already.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DPuFwYR6YQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks for the input I would love to check out your car sometime. My car is an 1992 so no targa, I grew up drooling over a targa that I wasnt allowed near in the garage. I will give you a call sometime for sure would love to pick your brain.

Update, interior will be done to full new NA2 NSX-R interior parts and reproductions where not available, god help me lol

So it has been awhile since I update this build thread. The car and the plans for the car have changed quite a bit. First I will begin by saying i have decided to make this car as if I bought a really NSX-R and then modified it.

Interior update: I have finished the interior (almost) I put in the tfnet red NSX-R carpet, I was lucky enough and have gotten true NSX-R Recaro racing seats from Dan's NSX-RGT replica (and let me tell you they are very comfortable as Turbo2Go can attest too), along with the cedar ridge harness bar and takata 4 point racing harnesses. I have changed the replica NSX-R steering wheel to a genuine with the real horn, trim, and even the real screws. I have moddified my ODB1 usdm gauge cluster and now have a working NA2 NSX-R cluster in its place. I have also gotten all the a pillars, b pillars, headliner, visors, and every other piece that will fit from an NSX-R into a LHD NSX. I also had my center console cut and modified by Caroline-NSX for a double din. I put in a pioneer avic-150 with a second screen in the JDM nav pod. (I also modified the Head unit to display the NSX-R logo on white when it starts up) I replaced the sub with Angus's 12" factory depth box (and let me tell you it sounds amazing) with some MB Quartz speakers and tweeters. Many of the other interior panels were also changed because of minor flaws that bothered me. (the window vent trim had the crack in it around the sensor and removed the whole dash just to replace that bit) I also updated the door handles and switch trim to the NA2 style. I installed a s2000 push start into the JDM nsxr shift boot plate with the kit from Crafty plugs. I also purchased a from Procar special their carbon fiber arm rest plaque that reads NSX-R.
Pretty much gutted the whole interior, and it came out beautifully. I will update what has been going on with the engine, and suspension after I eat dinner.

Shay

Shaylor you need to post pics. It's boring to read a bunch of text. You have one of the most expensive and best builds going but reading your thread is like a date with a nun. :D

Im not sure a 3.5l twin turbo is going to be the best motor if you plan on tracking it AND driving it regularly.

Also If you don't already have a lot of track experience, and assuming you're talking about road racing, it will be very difficult to learn in a car with the specs you describe.

sounds like you've got a pretty cool build going, I would second Turbo in saying take it out a few times to the track before doing any major motor upgrades. Simpler is always better (and a lot of the time faster}

Pictures of JDM NSX-R parts and during the work:

Almost finished interior pictures:

Here are some pictures of the car from this summer:

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_9554.jpg
    IMG_9554.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0393[1].jpg
    IMG_0393[1].jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0365[1].jpg
    IMG_0365[1].jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0373[1].jpg
    IMG_0373[1].jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0379[1].jpg
    IMG_0379[1].jpg
    94 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
In your NSX-R inspired build.. i'm curious what exterior body mods you have in mind.

I also echo everyone's concern on tracking your car with that setup. Still a great build, and impressive collection of parts, but.. say.. running 18/19 wheels, a Nav pod, a double din, heavy sub & amps... would be going against the spirit of what an NSX-R is.

Shaylor is local to me so we have met up. Was a great chance for me to sit in real NSX-R seats and all I have to say is dayum those things are the most comfortable and supportive things I have ever sat in. They are MORE comfortable than the OEM NSX seat and I fit in it perfectly. He is just making the ultimate NSX and when I first read his post I thought he was a 13 year old troll talking a big game as we have seen that before but he is a real guy really putting this massive build together. The stereo.... yeah... I am still not quite on board with that. And I want to take him to the track with me. It is going to be a lot of car to handle at the track. He's not running 18/19 he is going to purchase 17/18 OEM forged replicas if I ever come through with those.

The seats:
The seats are one of my favorite things with the build, so far I have only came across two members on the forum that ever had them. I maybe incorrect about this if anyone knows for sure how many have been imported that would be awesome, but I believe these maybe one of three pairs in the us. One set being in the NSX-R replica they built for the Fast and Furious series.

The console:
The console was done by Caroline-NSX and I would recommend him, it did come out great. He cut and painted it. He also painted my black trim around the gauge cluster to match the matte black NSX-R trim, has that piece will not work between the LHD and RHD.

NSX-R inspired build:
The exterior is going to have the full NA2 NSX-R conversion done all using downforce parts for the most part. Vented type r hood, type r wing, oem side skits, lower rear bumper, even the under trays for upfront. There will be some slight modifications to the standard type R NSX, this will include the Lexan rear hatch with scoop from Science of speed, it will have one of downforces front lips, the type r prototype rear diffuser vs the real replica, and the down force carbon fiber extended side scoops and rear deck lid vent. Have to help get as much cold air into the engine bay for it to breath as possible.

Stereo and wheels:
Well I will not be daily driving this car, it will be driven, a lot. Unlike Dave I wouldn't be satisfied with just using my iPhone haha The rear panel with the amps and hybrid battery capacitor can be removed with in 10 minutes if needed, everything is connected behind with plugs and there is a circuit breaker to kill the power feed as well. I purposly went with lighter amps, I am not a crazy sound guy but do enjoy a nice stereo, they are digital amps so the total weight addition is not that much to the car. I didn't want to strip out the stereo a/c etc because my goals for this car
1. Is for people who do not know what it is to never believe me when I tell them it is 22 years old.
2. To have this car be able to compete with the current class of cars the NSX was originally designed to do. (We all know how great they handle even stock with the new cars, they just became under powered in competition towards the end)
3. Hopefully have some of you guys that I respect very much here on prime consider this to be one of the top street NSX's in the world. I love honda, bleed honda red, everything I own is a honda, down to my weed trimmer. This is my dream to take hondas super car and rebuild, modify and hopefully "perfect" it and update it.

I am aware this car is way more than I will be able to handle right away, there will also be two power settings one at around 650 and then the full power around 1000. I should probably for my own good have the switch be a key and give the key to Dave till he thinks I am ready lol

Thanks for everyones input and taking the time to read my jumbled thoughts ;)
I will be posting more tonight about the suspension, chassis, brake setup, safety items, and weight reduction tonight. Then more detail into the engine build later on in the week.

The seats:
The seats are one of my favorite things with the build, so far I have only came across two members on the forum that ever had them. I maybe incorrect about this if anyone knows for sure how many have been imported that would be awesome, but I believe these maybe one of three pairs in the us. One set being in the NSX-R replica they built for the Fast and Furious series.

Just to note, that NSX they used in Fast and Furious was actually borrowed from prime member Vance.

Great build here. Balance of track and comfort.

interior looks fantastic but why was it gutted? did a new dashboard get installed?

No but you have to remove the dash board to replace the window vent trim. There are very few panels that didn't get replaced on the interior.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to note, that NSX they used in Fast and Furious was actually borrowed from prime member Vance.

Great build here. Balance of track and comfort.

The black one that Dom's sister drives when they break him out of the prison bus? I thought I watched something in the special features saying they built it?

Interesting thanks for the info.
And thank everyone for all the kind words on here and all the PM's I got about the build. I can't think of any great recognition than from my fellow prime members.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok braking system: Stoptech slotted all the way around with the new revision of the e-brake. I have upgraded the ABS system from the NA1 to the NA2, and soon will be upgrading to the ABS from the NSX-R as well. I have added the DownForce front brake air scoops as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Suspension and chassis: Here is where I think I have gotten the luckiest finding parts that are no longer available. The car will ride on a rare set of KW Competition dampers 3-way adjustable, it will also have an umbrella lift system. Dali front and rear sway bars, non compliance clamps, SOS toe links, Non compliance sway bar links, SOS main bushing upgrade, and carbon 6 tie rods. As far as chassis bracing goes, I managed to score two rare parts, both brand new. STMPO front strut bar and STMPO rear nsx-t three way brace. I will be modifying the fire wall to use the 3 way brace. Also stiffening up the chassis is LoveFab's front upper and lower braces. And I have a JDM NSX-R middle brace.

Weight savings: I have done the amazing lithium-iron battery kit from Phryxis (this is one of my favorite modifications I have done!) removed some sound deading material, nsx-r seats, NSX-R Steering wheel, NSX-R rear engine hatch, ABS system upgrade, fiberglass bumper beams, even the new NSX-R headliners a and b pillars saved a little weight. Forgot one piece of weight savings I forgot to mention... I don't think anyone has ever done this before. I have the nsxr single pane glass coming for between the engine bay and the driver :)

Cooling system upgrades, Mugen thermostat and fan thermostat, koyo radiator, Scorp965 coolant tank, all new hoses Venair Reinforced Silicone Coolant Hose Kit, and SCW Performance radiator panel.

- - - Updated - - -

Shay, when you selling the supercharger?

Sick part! subscribed!

Science of Speed is checking it all out and then it will be for sale very shortly including everything that comes with the kit including all new hoses. Also along with my B-Line CAI, comp tech headers, hi flow cats and borla exhaust. The whole system worked and sounded amazing together. The B-line CAI makes a big difference especially in sound on the supercharger set up.

- - - Updated - - -

I also forgot one thing for the exterior mods.... Spoon Mirrors :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

I will also have a five speed transmission with less than 60k miles on it, the ECU, and a brand new dif out of a brand new 6 speed transmission for sale, along with countless other oem parts. (All of the body panels that will be coming off plus black oem seats.)

I will also have a ton of after market parts as well, a spare b line cai, the original smaller odyessy battery with bracket, SOS coolant tank, Brand new never install Tien Mono Flex coils with the EDC, uni oem style foam filter, NSXR lower brace, NSX-r replica steering wheel with horn, stop tech slotted rear oem sized rotors, Down force air scoop upgrade, smart antenna module, and a sub box i am not sure who makes it with a 8" JL sub in it.

Last edited:
I see you already checked out the iLift system for raising and lowering the car as your name is on the list, but for a different suspension setup?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/176853-iLIFT-Intelligent-Suspension-Lift-Systems-New-Product-Introduction

Also, another member here was able to use the Downforce undertrays up front and under the engine compartment, along with the Difflow Diffuser to effectively create a complete flat underbody package for optimal aerodynamics without having to do too much custom work. Pairing that with the vented NSX-R hood with radiator hood scoop and rear wing should add some useable downforce.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/163843-downforce-full-undertray-project

Last edited:
Back