• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

97-01 Type-S interior trim color?

Does anyone know what the stock 97-01 Type-S center console/ashtray, center vent and door insert color is? Most people say it's the same as the Zanardi which is NH314L but going through a JDM parts catalogue it lists it as YR247L, which some people say is stock for 02-05. Probably minimal difference but I'm OCD like that. Thanks in advance!

Center Console, Door Switch Trim, Ashtray Cover, A/C Clock Vent Trim
97-99 Type-S is NH314L
02+ Type-S is YR247L

Door Cards are different depending on the color of the seats, could be blue, red, orange, or black perforated alcantara.

Last edited:
I seem to recall @Honcho saying the Type S interior colors were limited to black/black and black/orange.

That may be true of the Type-S Zero...

The Type-S did have an option of Black Door Cards with Black/Black seats with Silver stitching of "RECARO" or Black/Black seats with Red stitching of "RECARO, You also could do Orange door cards with Black/Orange seats with orange "RECARO" stitching, or blue door cards with black/blue seats with blue "RECARO" stitching.

I may have crossed my wires with the red perforated suede door cards, that may have been an 02+ R option only with the Red Jersey Mesh seats with red suede cushions.

Here are the combos I've found for Type-S so far...

Black door cards with Black leather outer with red "RECARO" stitching with black suede cushions
www.yokooauto.com/vcsMember/stockList/photoList.html?shopNo=747-2&carNo=166

Orange door cards with Black leather outer with orange "RECARO" stitching with orange suede cushions
www.yokooauto.com/vcsMember/stockList/photoList.html?shopNo=747-2&carNo=185

Black door cards with Black leather outer with blue "RECARO" stitching with blue suede cushions
www.yokooauto.com/vcsMember/stockList/photoList.html?shopNo=747-2&carNo=180

Blue door cards with Black leather outer with blue "RECARO" stitching with blue suede cushions
www.yokooauto.com/vcsMember/stockList/photoList.html?shopNo=747-2&carNo=157

For 1997-01, door card suede (perforated) was black, blue or orange if you selected the Type-S or S Zero trim level at purchase. You could also get body-color matching perforated leather for most of the available colors in 1997 via the custom order plan. Not sure about 02+.

Center Console, Door Switch Trim, Ashtray Cover, A/C Clock Vent Trim
97-99 Type-S is NH314L
02+ Type-S is YR247L

Door Cards are different depending on the color of the seats, could be blue, red, orange, or black perforated alcantara.

Pretty sure it's not NH314L Zanardi. Here's a photo of a 97-01 NSX Type S Zero:

9Ghc7kz.jpg

And here's my console, with the same radio block off plate:

50325059083_9bd6c5dae4_c.jpg

You can see the Type S is much darker and more flat looking.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's not NH314L Zanardi. Here's a photo of a 97-01 NSX Type S Zero:

You can see the Type S is much darker and more flat looking.

The 97-01 Type-S is 100% NH314L, the same as the Zanardi. Your first picture is of a Type-S Zero, the Type-S Zero had a different trim color than the Type-S.

97-01 Type-S/Zanardi - NH314L
97-01 Type-S Zero - NH1L
02+ Type-S - YR247L

The reason your radio block off plate doesn't match is because it's the block off plate from the Type-S Zero. Since the Type-S didn't have a radio delete option there is no block off plate for the NH314L trim color.

The 97-01 Type-S is 100% NH314L, the same as the Zanardi. Your first picture is of a Type-S Zero, the Type-S Zero had a different trim color than the Type-S.

97-01 Type-S/Zanardi - NH314L
97-01 Type-S Zero - NH1L
02+ Type-S - YR247L

The reason your radio block off plate doesn't match is because it's the block off plate from the Type-S Zero. Since the Type-S didn't have a radio delete option there is no block off plate for the NH314L trim color.

Ah, that makes sense. Interestingly, the video of the Type S in Honda's collection hall in Japan has no mention of it being a Zero even though it has the darker console and radio delete.

https://youtu.be/mCWlTtQIKmc

skafia said:
Ah, that makes sense. Interestingly, the video of the Type S in Honda's collection hall in Japan has no mention of it being a Zero even though it has the darker console and radio delete.

That car is the S Zero press car that Gan San tested at the Ring in 1997. At the time of the test, it did not have the "Type S" badge on the rear bumper. It's Ring time was disappointing, but I don't speak Japanese, so I can't pinpoint why. Gan San was having some trouble with sudden oversteer in several corners, though.

What do you guys think looks better, type s zero plastics color or 02-05? I have a car that I’m going to change out from the 91-01 color and I’m havin a hard ice deciding.

What do you guys think looks better, type s zero plastics color or 02-05? I have a car that I’m going to change out from the 91-01 color and I’m havin a hard ice deciding.

S Zero, but I'm biased. :D I actually think the OEM US 91 trim looks the best and most high-end of all the trims. The 02-05 silver looks too garish and out of place to me.

Sorry - late to the party.
My December '99 Type S has Black door cards with Black leather outer with red "RECARO" stitching with black suede cushions - the interior colour code is "Type F" according to the sticker on the passenger side door jamb
The centre console is the dull silver - not as bright as the 02+ Type S
Sorry about the dusty looking photos - we are in the middle of pollen season here in the South of NZ - I think it is pine tree pollen

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 194
You can tell that the Type S in the videos is actually an S-Zero because the rear passenger wing doesn't have an aerial hole - this was the only variant not to have a hole pre-drilled - the panel has a unique part number iirc.

You can tell that the Type S in the videos is actually an S-Zero because the rear passenger wing doesn't have an aerial hole - this was the only variant not to have a hole pre-drilled - the panel has a unique part number iirc.

Yep. And the stereo blank out plate. Only the Zero was available with no audio 97-01.

Sorry - late to the party.
My December '99 Type S has Black door cards with Black leather outer with red "RECARO" stitching with black suede cushions - the interior colour code is "Type F" according to the sticker on the passenger side door jamb
The centre console is the dull silver - not as bright as the 02+ Type S
Sorry about the dusty looking photos - we are in the middle of pollen season here in the South of NZ - I think it is pine tree pollen

I know you mentioned your car is a December '99, is that the build date or the model year? I ask because your e-brake handle has perforated leather and in the US that was introduced in 99 with the Zanardi and 2000+ with all other NSXs. The orange Type S posted above does not have this perforated leather.

December '99 was when the car was delivered to the first owner and registered for the road in Japan, so I assume that it was made a small number of weeks prior to that date. It certainly has the later-spec ABS that was introduced in Japan in a spec bump which occured in September '99 when the LEV designation was awarded, and the model number changed from E-NA2 to GH-NA2.

That car is the S Zero press car that Gan San tested at the Ring in 1997. At the time of the test, it did not have the "Type S" badge on the rear bumper. It's Ring time was disappointing, but I don't speak Japanese, so I can't pinpoint why. Gan San was having some trouble with sudden oversteer in several corners, though.

I'm going to question the statement about the identity of that specific vehicle, but only because I've developed an unhealthy interest in the Type S - in part because of your build thread!

The car tested at the ring in that video is in an odd hybrid spec. It is registered in the UK, it has a European rear bumper, and it has European rear lights. It also seems to have a mph speedometer.

I conclude that the car in the video is therefore a one-off, UK-legal NSX Type S Zero spec development car built specifically for Honda's European test centre to UK homologation requirements - it's certainly not a production-spec Type S Zero. Interestingly it does not have headlight washers, which should be a UK requirement for the HIDs fitted to the Type S and are fitted to every other pre-facelift European market NSX - that said, maybe Honda's attention to detail on the legal requirements instead decided to delete the HIDs from that car to avoid the extra weight of the wash system.

All of this doesn't mean that it isn't the car at the Honda collection hall, but it would have had to have been rebuilt to Japanese production spec in order for it to be the same car :)

If I don't watch out, the Imola Orange 'Ring Type S is going to become my unicorn - I'd love to know what happened to it, because if it still exists it just might be the perfect UK version of the NSX . . .

/nerd

All of this doesn't mean that it isn't the car at the Honda collection hall, but it would have had to have been rebuilt to Japanese production spec in order for it to be the same car :)
/nerd

My guess would be that in order to test on the Ring it probably needed to have the proper Euro spec bumper and tails. The cluster is a ? for sure. But the Type-S Zero was always intended to be Japan only so that's why the front bumper/headlights do not have the washer, the car was never going to be outfitted with them. Swapping a bumper, tail lights (and possibly the cluster) are things that could be swapped out pretty quickly so it may be safe to assume the one in the Honda Collection Hall is this car.

There has been a fair amount of discussion about L421WMR and P988RAM over the years on NSXCB.
There is another Type S around in the UK which may be the same car as the one in the video that is wearing the L421WMR registration plate - it was a development vehicle used and abused by Honda R&D Europe, and when last spotted, wasn't in great condition.
N5XSR is or was at the the time of the above video owned by NSXCB member MarkC

From reading the UK threads, it looks like L421WMR is a Honda UK registration that was used on several NSX promo/press cars over the years, the first one being a 1995 NSX-R. The NSX at the Ring in the Best Motoring video is very clearly a Zero because it has no antenna hole in the left quarter panel. There is another Zero that was tested at Suzuka in the same episode. And then the one in the Collection Hall. I suppose it is possible that these are three different cars, but I think it much more likely that they all are the same car and Honda brought it back to the Collection after it did its time during performance testing. The Imola L421WMR Type-S was likely the UK press car tested by several auto journalists. I think it still lives in England with a private owner. This is why I love Prime. A bunch of NSX nerds talking about NSX stuff that literally no one cares about. But I do. :D

From reading the UK threads, it looks like L421WMR is a Honda UK registration that was used on several NSX promo/press cars over the years, the first one being a 1995 NSX-R. The NSX at the Ring in the Best Motoring video is very clearly a Zero because it has no antenna hole in the left quarter panel. There is another Zero that was tested at Suzuka in the same episode. And then the one in the Collection Hall. I suppose it is possible that these are three different cars, but I think it much more likely that they all are the same car and Honda brought it back to the Collection after it did its time during performance testing. The Imola L421WMR Type-S was likely the UK press car tested by several auto journalists. I think it still lives in England with a private owner. This is why I love Prime. A bunch of NSX nerds talking about NSX stuff that literally no one cares about. But I do. :D

It's the best kind of internet nerdery :biggrin:

There has been a fair amount of discussion about L421WMR and P988RAM over the years on NSXCB.
There is another Type S around in the UK which may be the same car as the one in the video that is wearing the L421WMR registration plate - it was a development vehicle used and abused by Honda R&D Europe, and when last spotted, wasn't in great condition.
N5XSR is or was at the the time of the above video owned by NSXCB member MarkC

Interesting - cheers for the tip!

Unfortunately the old Facebook photos of the mystery car from when it visited VTEC Direct aren't loading, so it seems I've missed the opportunity of taking a look at those photos myself. The idea of it being a Honda Europe R&D car seems to hold up to me, but we're probably past the point now where it's possible to tell for sure.

At this point I think MarkC is the object of envy for those of us in the thread for actually having an IOP Type S on the road . . .

Back