• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

a 91 orig owner with 4,800 miles!!!

Steve Spanbauer (91 blk/ivory) and I found a guy today in Oshkosh WI who owns a red 91. He bought it brand new in 91 and it has only 4,800 original miles!!!!!! Never has seen rain etc. WOW!!!
I want this car!!!!!! That has got to almost be a record for low milage!!! Not bad we have 5 NSX's in a town of 50k

Wow, I thought I was the low mileage master. I only put 2300 miles on my Syclone in 8 years! ( 30.000 total when it sold last weekend):D

I also have a red 91 with 3450 miles on it - bought it in December 1990 -- and it's never been rained on or used the windshield wipers.....Only problem is my wife tells me to either drive it or get rid of it - only have a 2 car garage.

I just replaced the front tires as the rubber seemed to be getting kind of hard from age - (even though the car was kept covered and in the garage) -- brand new A022's feel a lot softer and stickier.

PhilH said:
I also have a red 91 with 3450 miles on it - bought it in December 1990 -- and it's never been rained on or used the windshield wipers.....Only problem is my wife tells me to either drive it or get rid of it - only have a 2 car garage.

I just replaced the front tires as the rubber seemed to be getting kind of hard from age - (even though the car was kept covered and in the garage) -- brand new A022's feel a lot softer and stickier.

the ? i have for you is, is there any particular reason why you dont drive your car? why would you spend the $ to buy the car to let it just sit there for 12 years ? ?

my philosophy is to enjoy the car, your life before you die.
you never know when that might be...

we sound like ferrari ownres...

"ya, i only put 4 miles on my car every 2 years...and thats just to take it to change the oil..."

C'mon...we bought NSX's instead of ferraris because either we can't afford it or we want something RELIABLE!! we'll, lets show how reliable they are and have some fun with them!!!

I have a 91 with 44,000 and thats too little for me!! ;)

I think every NSX owner should drive his car as much, or as little, as he (or she) wants to. Some have one because they drive it on the track, some have one because they drive it everywhere they go, some have one because they take it to car shows, and some have one just for the pride of ownership and seeing it in the garage. (And some have more than one.)

Some have cars with close to zero miles, some have cars with over 200K miles. Some have cars that are extremely modded, some have cars that are bone stock. And most take pride in treating their NSXs their own way, not the way anyone else does.

Different strokes for different folks...

(Incidentally, median mileage on Ferraris is between 1K and 2K miles per year; on NSXs it's around 5K miles per year.)

nsxtasy said:
I think every NSX owner should drive his car as much, or as little, as he (or she) wants to. Some have one because they drive it on the track, some have one because they drive it everywhere they go, some have one because they take it to car shows, and some have one just for the pride of ownership and seeing it in the garage. (And some have more than one.)

Some have cars with close to zero miles, some have cars with over 200K miles. Some have cars that are extremely modded, some have cars that are bone stock. And most take pride in treating their NSXs their own way, not the way anyone else does.

Different strokes for different folks...

(Incidentally, median mileage on Ferraris is between 1K and 2K miles per year; on NSXs it's around 5K miles per year.)

if having an NSX makes the owner feel good, then i would rather keep the $ in the bank, and when i feel the urge to look at a good looking car, i would go to the show room of the local Acura dealership... imagine if you put that $ in Microsoft 13 years go....

you can get yourself 10 NSX's :) maybe more :)

I am sorry.... the only way ANY sports car should average 3 miles per month is if you live in Northern Greenland or if you are fortunate enough to own several sports cars. People who have things OR money and don't "use" it and take it to the grave is a sad thing!!!! JMO

Drive on!!!!!!!!!!

Bell turbo B18C1 said:
I am sorry....

I am quite certain that the owners of low-mileage NSXs feel just as strongly about their own preferences for how they use their cars, as you do about yours. They probably think that it's a shame for people to "waste" so many miles on such a fine car for "mere commuting". I am not supporting their view instead of yours; I am merely pointing out that theirs has its own logic and legitimacy, just as yours does.

Just like people who track their cars might or might not show intolerance by claiming that those who don't, don't use the car's capabilities the way the designers intended; and those who don't track their cars might or might not think that those who do, "mistreat" their cars. And the same for modded cars vs bone stock cars.

"Different strokes for different folks" means that people are different and have their own opinions and preferences. And they are every bit as comfortable and happy with theirs as you are with yours.

RyRy210 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2421126639

Veleno also has a low mileage '92. Last time I heard it had only 1,200 miles.

Insanely low mileage '91s aren't as scarce as some people think.

I just checked on this car - and run - don't walk:

Get this:

- No timing belt change
- No 30k service
- No 60k service
- No 90k service
- Only 1 oil change

That thing should end up going for salvage value. I wouldn't even stand next to that thing if they tried to start it up! That old timing belt might snap, the fuel filter might explode, and other horrible things might happen.

I told the owner about reducing the price in 1/2 to cover all the oil changes and regular maintenance this car has missed due to years (regardless of climate control).

I also asked when the last time he exercised the ABS and the AC was. Can you believe they hung up on me!?!?

VBG / j/k

:rolleyes: :p ;)

Matteni, I believe it 100%

I recently read an article printed in one of the major automobile magazines (C&D, R&T, Motortrend) but I forgot which one. It said that low mileage cars that are primarily driven short distances and not serviced regularly will more than likely have more internal engine wear than a similar car that has regularly been serviced and driven long distances (highway miles?).

It mentioned something about the low mileage engines being always driven in situations where it never reaches its ideal operating temperature (hence more friction and wear during driving and engine start-up) and some other technical stuff.

For any folks who havent put in their mandatory 10,000 miles/year, I would be happy to bring your car up to the appropriate mileage for your year model. If you are behind 50-60-70,000 miles, NO PROBLEM! And for a small fee, I'll even run the wipers. :D

Its a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

PhilH said:
I also have a red 91 with 3450 miles on it -
I just replaced the front tires as the rubber seemed to be getting kind of hard from age - brand new A022's feel a lot softer and stickier.

How would you know? Do they help the car stick to the garage floor better?

;)

:rolleyes: Hey guys anybody who bought an NSX as a investment and is not driveing to keep value up, is a fool!!! But keep doing it because I might want to trade my 91 up on a newer low mileage "investment car"..ha/ha The great thing and bad thing about the NSX is the resale value.....It makes it alot easier for your average joe to buy a exotic car that gets more attention than a 100k porsche or 65K viper etc....don't ya just love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: mileage

synergy004 said:
my uncle has a 91 blk/blk with 1,200miles, never seen any weather but one month of sun on the islands. Car just sits. He's the original owner and says he will never sell, he will take the car with him when he dies.

lates

Did you ever ask him WHY he never drives it?? Curiosity begs an answer.....and what does he drive while letting his poor '91 NSX rot?

PhilH said:

I mean this with all respect...but why are you letting that car sit? It is not good for it to do that, and I cannot understand why you would not want to let it stretch its legs more often. The car is too much fun to let it just sit for so long.

apology in advance for my mood... BUT...

what a depressing thread... here I have been waiting 12 years to get one, and there are people letting them ROT in garages!!! :mad:

this is pathetic...and I can't subscribe to the PC "I respect each owners preference" crapola. Yeah it's your right to do with it what you please...but I defeiniely don't respect you for it...

sorry... I'm just bitter...

Last edited:
Re: apology in advance for my mood... BUT...

scottjua said:
what a depressing thread... here I have been waiting 12 years to get one, and there are people letting them ROT in garages!!! :mad:

this is pathetic...and I can't subscribe to the PC "I respect each owners preference" crapola. Yeah it's your right to do with it what you please...but I defeiniely don't respect you for it...

And I don't respect you for your self-righteous intolerance.

Why don't you just buy one instead of complaining about "waiting for twelve years"? :rolleyes:

ok, I willing to admit that I'm bitter...but self righteous...? I never thought myself to be better than anyone else... hey my intolernace is my fault...and right as much as it is to sit an NSX in a garage.

Either way... no hard feelings toward anyone here... We're all enthusiasts for the thing one way or another, but I just can't understand that stance as much as you can't understand mine.

No hard feelings at all.

Heck, I even wish you had an NSX; you've certainly been around here long enough!

:cool:

yeah I tend to get over emotional when it comes to this kind of thing... my choice of words may not always be the best...but you can tell where I'm coming from at least.

And about going out and buying one...it's never been a money thing...and it's hasn't always been completely under my control... :(

scottjua said:
And about going out and buying one...it's never been a money thing...and it's hasn't always been completely under my control... :(

Assuming there's another person involved - figure out a way to make it work for both of you. Whether that means giving them something that they want too, or making some other accommodation with them... you get your NSX, and they get something that they want, too. Good luck...

Here is my questions. So if Acura puts in a special break in oil and doesn't recomend you change that oil until 7500 miles, are all these cars with miles less than 7500 still using the break in oil? If not, would changing out that break in oil be of concern? In a way, your screwed either way since people will complain that you haven't changed the oil in 12 years, but if you change it out early you are not letting the break in oil do whatever it supposed to do. Boy, I'm glad I don't have to worry about that:D

Back