• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

A Benchmark for the New NSX: Porsche 918

An excellent read for any interested in the high performance hybrid powertrain concept that will feature in the new NSX, being done by a company that doesn't turn out garbage. Same concepts: multiple electric motors, regenerative braking, mid-engined powerplant.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-porsche-918-spyder-prototype-first-ride-review

I find it amazing that Porsche allowed Car and Driver to photograph and get a detailed overview of this proprietary, cutting edge technology. 50 motor- and engine-control units!!! YOWSA!!! It's interesting that they HAD to use carbon fiber given the weight of the all the electronics/motors/batteries. Since Honda has already alluded to a set weight and performance target, we can only hope that will lead them the same way.

Porsche firmly plans to have this car production ready 9/18/13.

And I'd bet the house that come 9/19/13 there will be one on the way to an undisclosed location, perhaps near Torrance or Marysvile, for teardown ;)

Enjoy.

2014-porsche-918-spyder-prototype-photo-448308-s-1280x782.jpg

2014-porsche-918-spyder-prototype-photo-448311-s-1280x782.jpg

the-road-to-the-future-is-littered-with-wires-and-black-boxes-try-as-we-might-we-were-unable-to-locate-the-flux-capacitor-photo-448315-s-1280x782.jpg

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.5 in
Length: 182.8 in
Width: 76.4 in Height: 45.9 in
Curb weight: 3750 lb
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 2.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.0 sec
¼-mile: 10.2 sec
Top speed: 205 mph

What's up with the wheel base and weight? At $850 grand I don't think anyone at the moment will want to follow that footstep. Honda is not shooting for Mars.

Last edited:
Honda will really need to take advantage of the instant torque of electric motors and lithium batteries to make a truly amazing powerband.

Back