• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A little better audio wanted

Funny thing is that, I rather hear my engine scream most of the times anyways! :biggrin:

Funny thing is that, I rather hear my engine scream most of the times anyways! :biggrin:

Me too believe me. But women passengers get bored because they don't have the same appreciation.

To srta end this thread, I think the best improvement anyone can make quickly and easily that is not even permanent is to use a portable fed through a GROM or USA spec so you get a direct feed in, and fit a JBL MS-2 in line as I talked about in other threads. Don't expect more bass. Just better quality mids and highs and an actual stage.

I've got the amp mounted in the trunk and the EQ is in the glovebox.

SoS kickpanels to mount the speakers in the doors, and the sub is in the passenger footwell.

Yup, this is me also....same set up with OEM head unit, and CD changer...the EQ has a jack for my ipod to integrate in....its all good and very happy with it...was not a high cost upgrade

My speaker mounts are "home made", and the amount of flex from that 6.5" speaker when the mount itself is only roughly 7" inches square with the hple in the middle is very minimal. I used 3/4" birch plywood, for the first layer of baffle that attaches to door (primed and painted first) and the second layer to build out the baffle thicker was 3/4" MDF primed and pained also glued/laminated to the first layer of baffle. When the OEM speaker enlosures are out, it leaves almost a perfect square in which to mount the baffle about 7" in size. the next layer allowed me to angle the driver slightly, and give me clearance for the doors, as well as tuck nicely right behind the grille. Sound deadener all around the area and good to go. I get far more wind noise, tire noise and engine noise than any resonant vibration from this door speaker, if any at all...

Sub is the Angus box with Pioneer 10" IB flat , EQ is a 1/2 din Cadence unit that has sub crossover and level, clip level adjustments for input, MP3/Ipod input volume control, and overall system volume...its clean in that it adds zero noise or hiss, plus I can modify seven bands ...better than just bass and treble. Very simple integration for how much control I now have over the system. If the lights on it were orange, I would have found a way to mount it in view, but they are blue so it stays in the glove box. I will ewventually add a 1/2 DVD player that will also go in the glove box and a Nav screen /pod for video. All with keeping stock head unit in place and no console cutting. (the input on the EQ is the 1/8" input jack, so it could also be used from the DVD output to get the sound into the system the same way as my iphone)

Alpine PDX5 in the trunk -no heat issues at all.

Only think different is that I added a 4" speaker in each corner behind seats with the gain set very low on my amp for them, so that you can barely hear them, although if you fade F to R, they are on, and it nicely rounds out the fill. /they are a two way Boston set, (that when bench tested first sounded awesome on their own) but I disconnected the tweeter so not to have imaging issues in the high end FQ's...

I can't imagine needing anything more than this system - it ROCKS when you need it to, and is crystal clear all the time....no space given up, and no cutting done...other than for the 4" rear speakers (in which I already have replacement corner panels for some day if I ever don't want them) I orderd an extra door speaker grille, and used this to make smaller grille covers for the rear 4" BA's that now look OEM...
I I dsconnected the
E

I was really surprised with how nice the stock H/U sounded with the EQ as well.

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a better speaker in the center console and hooking it up to the right channel (passengers? meh who cares about them :p) for rear fill.

I just had my iPod hard-wired into my '95 Bimmer 3 series and it does sound great. It has been quite a while since I had my CD player in the Bimmer but I don't recall the great bass that I am now getting with the iPod. Frankly, I am impressed and a little miffed :redface: since I appear to be contradicting my statement earlier in this thread that it was not acoustically possible for the iPod to sound better than a CD at the same listening volume.

After reading this thread I had decided not to ditch the CD player in my NSX for a US-Spec iPod adapter. But listening to the great sound in my Bimmer is making me rethink that.

Is it possible that the iPod is equalized to boost the bass, and possibly the treble, so that it sounds more lively (and, to my untrained ear, better) than a regular, unequalized CD player?

Last edited:
Is it possible that the iPod is equalized to boost the bass, and possibly the treble, so that it sounds more lively (and, to my untrained ear, better) than a regular, unequalized CD player?

There are EQ's in the ipod/phone but they may be flat. Compression however does that. It exagerrates upper bass, and outright LOSES very low bass. This is bass the Bose system can't reproduce anyway, and so the exagerration of the upper bass sounds like more "punch" to an average ear. Essentially, you are listening to an EQ'd system. If there was a reference system for comparison, then you'd know how the song really is meant to sound, and you'd hate the compressed version. But most people don't have a reference. That's why to many, the Bose system is actually pretty good. If all you ever drove was a Honda element, a fit in comparison would feel like a fast sports car. I guess everything in life is relative.

Last edited:
Hey - I drive an Element! And a Civic and an NSX.

I can't tell the difference. :rolleyes:

:wink:

I have an element too. Best everyday beater car ever. LOL... I like it because it keeps the NSX feeling REAL fast.

Me too believe me. But women passengers get bored because they don't have the same appreciation.

True, an absolute truth ... when we take long trips, I mount my Iphone running Netflix for my lady LOL

Oscar

So for a stock system, it sounds like a

GROM adapter +
JBL MS-2 device

Should be a great bare-minimum upgrade, or is there something else that needs to be added to this combo?

If I install a double din stereo unit, will it be ok if I still use all the existing stock speakers and amps?

So for a stock system, it sounds like a

GROM adapter +
JBL MS-2 device

Should be a great bare-minimum upgrade, or is there something else that needs to be added to this combo?

Yes, and they take almost no installation.

If I install a double din stereo unit, will it be ok if I still use all the existing stock speakers and amps?

Yes, but that doesn't mean it will sound better.

thanks for the input.

yes I am not looking for better sound as I think the stock speakers are plenty good enough for me. I just want to give the interior a more modern look with a double din unit.

Yes, and they take almost no installation.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it will sound better.

Yes, that is it...its come down quite a bit from last fall when I bought it...but that is it..very clean sounding, line driver helps feed the amps, and total control over the sub Xover and level..and as mentioned, has the 1/8" input jack for iphone or other mp3/ I even recently used one of those small portable DVD players with screen and used the audio out into the system via this jack, and it was nice on a long trip to Minneapolis.....

Back