• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A smoker while I was filling up.

While at the Shell station, a smoker on the opposite side came over to talk to me about my car! Not only was he filling up his car; but gas cans as well. I couldnt believe what was happening. Needless to say, I stopped the pump after 8 gallons and got the hell out of there. Should I have done something else?

Depending on what area it's illegal. But what can u do beside tell on the guy. The gas attendant won't do anything and I'm pretty sure the cops won't come out and prolly would laugh at the call.

A light cigarette with gas fumes isn't that dangerous a lit match with gas fumes is another story

I think you could have, as non confrontational as possible, asked him to put the cigarette out. Unless he was totally devoid of common sense I think he would have done it.

it wouldn't have caught fire.. The fumes would have not been dense enough to catch fire in open air and gasoline wont ignite if you drop a lit cigarette in it instead it would just put it out. Now, is it a dumb idea yes. Would I have been pissed yes. Would I do it no.

I think you could have, as non confrontational as possible, asked him to put the cigarette out. Unless he was totally devoid of common sense I think he would have done it.

I would not have been this diplomatic ,my nature will not allow it .I would have said "hey asshole put the cigarette out - are you stupid ". 35 yrs ago I was filling "Vinny the coffee mans truck", 65 chevy with gas fill right after drivers door .Being Italian he was talking to me with his hands moving as he lit his smoke ,hot humid day ,fumes coming out went up in flames. burned my arm ,eyelashes ,side of my face .we had just installed check valves in the pump nozzles so nothing else went up .

Last edited:
I have had this happen before. I asked the kid, "You see me pumping gas right?" and he just walked back to the curb and complimented the car from a distance.

In 1986, I watched a Camaro burn up at a pump. The owner left the engine running while filling because it was cold outside. I am not sure how the fire started, but fuel did hit the hot exhaust pipe. We had problems putting the fire out,as fire extinguishers at the gas station only stopped the fire from spreading. The car completely burned. The owner was lucky to only have some minor burns.

Last edited:
New pumps have vapor lock. Unless u pull the hose out and he's got a flare a fire isn't starting. Even pouring that much gas on a match is gonna put it out. But then again there's freak accidents.

I'm sure smoking next to the pump is illegal. When I smoked, I have been guilty of the same on occasion....especially when filling up my diesel trucks. In any event, being non-confrontational, as you were,in this insane society we live in was definitely the best choice....even if the was clearly in the wrong.

Last edited:
You should have just started a gasoline fight. Would have probably have been more fun. :smile:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZnZ2XdqGZWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I once confronted a TAXI driver smoking while he was filling up. When I asked him to put it out, he got angry. So I called the TAXI company and they put him in his place. :biggrin:

New pumps have vapor lock. Unless u pull the hose out and he's got a flare a fire isn't starting. Even pouring that much gas on a match is gonna put it out. But then again there's freak accidents.

Freak accidents are why one doesn't smoke or use a cell phone when fueling a car, or gas can for that matter.

Fueling today is a lot safer, but as Steve Matchett can attest, a tiny amont of petrol can make for a huge fireball.

Not use a cell phone? Isn't that a bit extreme?

well I have poured gas on the ground and it pooled up in a small hole in the cement thru my cig into said hole filled with gas it went out like it had hit water.

Cell phones emit small charges which could ignite the fumes.
I think that 'myth' was busted on mythbusters :biggrin:

Regardless of any anecdotal stories here; I know I would never ask my kids to hold the pump while I stand there lit up talking to them. Even with the probability of .000000001%, I would not risk it. There are those who take calculated risks and there are those who are just plain stupid.

Cell phones emit small charges which could ignite the fumes.
I think the likelihood of cell phones causing gas station fires is probably about the same as them causing planes to crash. That said, I do not use a cell phone when I pump gas.

I once confronted a TAXI driver smoking while he was filling up. When I asked him to put it out, he got angry. So I called the TAXI company and they put him in his place. :biggrin:
That's awesome. :biggrin:

On the topic of gas station stories, I once had a zealous attendant warn me not to get into my car while I was fueling up. I had my door open, and was just reaching in to grab a pen to note my mileage. :rolleyes:

it wouldn't have caught fire.. The fumes would have not been dense enough to catch fire in open air and gasoline wont ignite if you drop a lit cigarette in it instead it would just put it out. Now, is it a dumb idea yes. Would I have been pissed yes. Would I do it no.

+1.

"Hey man, I'd love to talk to you more about the car bit would you mind putting the cigarette out? Makes me nervous around gas" probably would have worked. You're putting it on yourself and not his idiot self.

+2 still not a great idea as are cell phones by the pumps or in aircraft. The aircraft thing is an anomaly that has been proven to be possible. While myth busters is a quick tv stab at finding out the truth a lot of problems can only be duplicated under nearly impossible conditions.

Back