• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A Year With Honda's Supercar (10k mile update)

I'm just over the year mark, so still somewhat of a new owner.

Last July, I finally had the chance (and financial means) to pick up a car I’ve always dreamed about owning; the vaunted Acura NSX is the ever present, ever popular Formula Red on black. The car was bone stock down to the lugnuts, never modified. Mine came to me surprisingly 4 miles from my apartment after a year of looking (and passing on some out of state cars), with 97,197 miles on the odometer. The previous owner, although good to the car from a mostly mechanically standpoint, neglected to drive it often and the battery had died.

So the first money I spent on the car was a new battery.

The next few days were spent doing a paint correction as the paint needed work so I pulled it into the garage, removed the wheels’ put it up on jackstands and got to work. After 2 days of this, the car looked much better. Then the modifications ideas came.

Common modifications for the NSX, the “starter pack” if you will are generally an exhaust of some sort, wheels/tires, and suspension. Some go past this to a fault, and often times it’s overdone IMO. I went with a Pride V2, one of the many available “pretzel” style exhausts. Shortly after, I added test pipes which I’ve subsequently removed because although loud; Honda does not make the best sounding V6. In their place is now Angus HFCs. Later, I added an extended air intake scoop to let the C30A breathe more and hear more of the induction noise by my left ear. Something about a mid-engine car, I suppose. Many say it's underpowered, and comparing it to today's cars; perhaps.

While I greatly enjoy the car with the factory suspension, my other car is an S2000 and that’s one of the more raw driving experiences I’ve ever encountered. To address suspension, I searched for various options across all of the NSX boards (which, is honestly not that large of a search because there are only so many of these cars left) and settled on a slight improvement over factory; the ubiquitous Bilstein dampers with OEM Type-S/Zanardi springs. The combo changes the car dramatically, and definitely for the better. Especially when paired with the 94+ 16/17 wheels.
And since that, I’ve just driven the car, the community, and to some extent; the difference in how I’m treated in the car. In my S2000, it’s a sportscar but rarely gets a second look. In the NSX, I’ve yet to have a negative reaction. People thank me for driving it, bringing it out. The community, while not perfect (what community is?) is one of the best I’ve encountered. Many of the owners are true enthusiasts, leaving the car for another but always coming back. Sure, there’s the hassles of driving a supercar; people will floor it past you just to prove they can. Or pace you. Any number of things. But as a whole, I can take this car to the nicest events Dallas has to offer; park it next to a new Ferrari, and not worry about being asked to move.

While not as raw or hyper of an experience as my S2000, it is a great cruiser, and requires more steering input but once you get it; the car is very responsive. Almost a dual character car, the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I’ve not pushed this car on the track yet, but after my timing belt service next year; I most likely will.

At the time of writing this, I’ve just crossed the 10k miles driven with the car since buying it, and I recently scored a set of Advan RSII in 17/18. Realistically, this will most likely be my last modification to the exterior of the car. In 10,000 miles of driving my dream car, I’ve realized one thing:
It’s great.

I'm just over the year mark, so still somewhat of a new owner.

Last July, I finally had the chance (and financial means) to pick up a car I’ve always dreamed about owning; the vaunted Acura NSX is the ever present, ever popular Formula Red on black. The car was bone stock down to the lugnuts, never modified. Mine came to me surprisingly 4 miles from my apartment after a year of looking (and passing on some out of state cars), with 97,197 miles on the odometer. The previous owner, although good to the car from a mostly mechanically standpoint, neglected to drive it often and the battery had died.

So the first money I spent on the car was a new battery.

The next few days were spent doing a paint correction as the paint needed work so I pulled it into the garage, removed the wheels’ put it up on jackstands and got to work. After 2 days of this, the car looked much better. Then the modifications ideas came.

Common modifications for the NSX, the “starter pack” if you will are generally an exhaust of some sort, wheels/tires, and suspension. Some go past this to a fault, and often times it’s overdone IMO. I went with a Pride V2, one of the many available “pretzel” style exhausts. Shortly after, I added test pipes which I’ve subsequently removed because although loud; Honda does not make the best sounding V6. In their place is now Angus HFCs. Later, I added an extended air intake scoop to let the C30A breathe more and hear more of the induction noise by my left ear. Something about a mid-engine car, I suppose. Many say it's underpowered, and comparing it to today's cars; perhaps.

While I greatly enjoy the car with the factory suspension, my other car is an S2000 and that’s one of the more raw driving experiences I’ve ever encountered. To address suspension, I searched for various options across all of the NSX boards (which, is honestly not that large of a search because there are only so many of these cars left) and settled on a slight improvement over factory; the ubiquitous Bilstein dampers with OEM Type-S/Zanardi springs. The combo changes the car dramatically, and definitely for the better. Especially when paired with the 94+ 16/17 wheels.
And since that, I’ve just driven the car, the community, and to some extent; the difference in how I’m treated in the car. In my S2000, it’s a sportscar but rarely gets a second look. In the NSX, I’ve yet to have a negative reaction. People thank me for driving it, bringing it out. The community, while not perfect (what community is?) is one of the best I’ve encountered. Many of the owners are true enthusiasts, leaving the car for another but always coming back. Sure, there’s the hassles of driving a supercar; people will floor it past you just to prove they can. Or pace you. Any number of things. But as a whole, I can take this car to the nicest events Dallas has to offer; park it next to a new Ferrari, and not worry about being asked to move.

While not as raw or hyper of an experience as my S2000, it is a great cruiser, and requires more steering input but once you get it; the car is very responsive. Almost a dual character car, the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I’ve not pushed this car on the track yet, but after my timing belt service next year; I most likely will.

At the time of writing this, I’ve just crossed the 10k miles driven with the car since buying it, and I recently scored a set of Advan RSII in 17/18. Realistically, this will most likely be my last modification to the exterior of the car. In 10,000 miles of driving my dream car, I’ve realized one thing:
It’s great.

It's great that you are enjoying your NSX the way it was meant to be driven. No one really understands why we would pay so much for a 25 yr old car. That's because they've never driven one. Once you have, you get it. The car is more about the experience than the numbers on paper. I have an S2K also. Two very different cars that really complement each other IMO. Continue to drive and enjoy that beauty and congratulations on the purchase.

Great write-up, Major! I added an S2000 to the stable about a month ago. I have been meaning to write up a comparison between the two (although I know it's been discussed before). Bottom line is that the S2000 is like a frisky, hyper puppy that will play all day long. But every time I get in the NSX I am reminded of how truly special it is. Effortless speed and handling. Likely the highest-quality car ever built. And a great cruiser.

Since RYU asked;

In the next few weeks, it will look a bit different with the Advans but that's about it for now.

I do love my S2000, and I've been hard pressed to find a suitable replacement. It's just too good of a car.

Last edited:
Back