• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC Condensor Fan Motor..Worth the effort?

Having problems with a fan motor.
I have checked the fuses and that is not the issue. Passenger fan runs just fine. My driver's side condensor fan isn't running. From what I've read, it isn't a relay issue because one of the fans runs fine. Correct?

I get cold air when driving, but if I sit idle the car never really cools off in this 90+ degree weather. I stuck my hand into the driver's side grooved wheel liner and feel the fan blades resting idle. When I start to spin the fan "to and fro" I feel the fan provide a little resistance and act as if it wants to start.
Not to confuse, IT DOES NOT actually continue to spin after I quickly back my hand out.

My question is: Is this typical when they go bad? Should I waste any time removing the wheel, wheel well liner, etc... for a closer examination of the fan and possible quick fix?

Also, assuming the motor is done, is it possible to repair the motor or is buying a new one the only option?

You could likely find a used one from Ravi@ unbrella. You definately need to get it fixed. Running the AC w/out it running can build a lot of head pressure which is not good for the system.

I had some time today, so I popped open the wheel well liner. I spun the fan a bit and it started working again. It doesn't work with the same intensity as the other side (based on the sound output.) I turned it off and on a few times and it only fires up about 50% of the time. A couple good taps to the back of the fan motor and it engages but still not as much force as the other side.

Does this sound like I need a new motor or would an electronics repair shop be able to get this fan motor operating at a high level again?

I had some time today, so I popped open the wheel well liner. I spun the fan a bit and it started working again. It doesn't work with the same intensity as the other side (based on the sound output.) I turned it off and on a few times and it only fires up about 50% of the time. A couple good taps to the back of the fan motor and it engages but still not as much force as the other side.

Does this sound like I need a new motor or would an electronics repair shop be able to get this fan motor operating at a high level again?

Fan motors normally replaced, not repaired.

The same thing happened to me a while ago. The workshop just replaced the carbon brush on the fan motor and it is now running fine.

Back