• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura can't duplicate key

I wish. I have the skill, but not the proper tool. I need an old-style slam punch cutter, and the dealership's thousands of miles away from me(they only have the newer style anyways).

All Acura and Honda dealerships had them back in the day. They sat on the counter and had a large paddle on top. The gun style is worthless IMO, too universal and too much room for mistakes.

I went to a few locksmiths with my titanium key (actually it's made of "Monel") and they all turned me away after I told them what it was made of. Some of them did not want to cut it because they did not know if the Monel would damage their machines. I finally found a locksmith who was willing to do it. He did give me a warning that it may not work before he cut it. Fortunately, the key worked perfectly after he cut it.

well took mine to lowes, had the key that came with the car, took the new Titanum NSX key, they cut it but it only starts the car if the key is in a certain way. and def will not open the doors from the outside, so the key is basiclly useless to me. so I asked the guy why wouldnt this work? he goes i dont know you put the original key in this hole, and the new blank key in this hole and press that big red button. I was so mad I was gonna snap. had to leave.

so I bought 2 more 130 dollars keys.

have not cut them yet. scared to. dont wanna EAT another key.

was going to take to dealer but after reading this I am not sure they could do it.

and the locksmiths around me look like run down shacks in the hills of Montana LOL

SO Hondacuraplanet does that mean if we gave you a code from a 91 titainium key you could make a dupe without having the original?
Is the code 4 numerals

SO Hondacuraplanet does that mean if we gave you a code from a 91 titainium key you could make a dupe without having the original?
Is the code 4 numerals

If there was a way I could get my hands on the right machine, it'd be exceedingly simple. All Acura and Honda keys after 1990 except Legends, Passports, and SLX and all the way up through the current sidewinders were one single format. Eight cuts from head to tip, and 6 different cuts in depth. The key code will be a 4 digit, yes. From the 4 digit code, there's a book that provides the cut sequence. I got to be so good at it, that I could cut keys by eye :) .

Can I get key codes? Potentially. All I'd need to do is find a machine like the one I had, or one of you intrepid folks could have a nice little NSX business with a little setup help from yours truly ;)

I thought everyone knows what the key is made of

"Offered with the 1991-1996 NSX when new, the factory metal "titanium look" key was a special part of ownership as unique as the car itself. The key is actually made from Monel (nickey alloy composed of 70% nickel, 30% copper)."

took from SOS's site.

so you 1997-2005 guys got plastic junk keys with your purchase LOL..

the " Titanium " is just what everyone calls it.

back to the original topic.

Tim where can you find a cut machine? all us prime members can be on the lookout for these machines in our local craigslist.

let us know we will help you find the damn machine you need to do this.

i have a 2000 nsx. i went to ACE hardware, they cut it for $3, and programmed it for $15 off of my existing key. acura wanted $150. what a joke.

Hi Gerry, Ace hardware? which one? I'll go there if they can do it, I need one cut/programmed for my 1997. I had tried a locksmith and they could not do it, they said take it to the dealer.

I used the one at 67th ave/101 on the north loop. Phoenix az. I'd think pretty much any ace could do it.

FWIW i purchased the blank programable one off ebay, and it turned out the chip was wrong, although the ID on the exterior of the key was correct. Waste of $25. So i had to buy a blank from ace. i don't remember the price, but it was CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and works just fine. In fact, i ended up using my EBAY key as a "valet" type of key... unlocks but won't start the car.

I picked up a flyer from my local Ace store the other day detailing their chipkey capabilities. Cost wise, they quoted me around $70 to do it, with the walk to the car to test it out being the longest part of the process (ie not long at all). It looks like they are calling the stores that provide this service "chipkey centers", so there must be a search you can do on their website to find which stores have it. They also have a device on their customer service desk that you can wave your key through and it will tell you if they can make a copy of it or not. Mine caused the light to come on, indicating they could duplicate it. Haven't done it yet but will do so soon. Seems a lot cheaper and easier than taking it to the dealer (my local one quoted me $100+ to do it).

I looked around the Honda and Acrua dealer's in the area. It is the parts guys that have the slam punch cutters. Found a parts guy at an Acura Dealership with a slam punch cutter that has been around since the dealership opened. He pulled the slam punch cutter out from the bottom of a drawer and cut my key in about 10min. One of my orginal keys has the 4 digit code stamped on the key. Honda stopped doing this later on and used the VIN and the book to determine the 4 digit code. From the 4 digit code the key pattern can be determined.
You just have to find the Honda parts guy that has been in the business for a long time. (Call it wisdom!)
I bought the key blanks from the same guy. He cut them for free.

For keys with the imobilizer chip, keyless.com sells blanks, with programing instructions. Your Honda/Acrua parts guy can cut them with a slam punch cutter and you are good to go. You just have to find that part guy with the cutter and wisdom.

I found this thread when looking to make a copy for my 98 this week. I can confirm that ACE hardware locations with "automotive chipped key" services can properly duplicate your key. The blank for my 98 Targa was HD-106PT5 item # 86480 and the cost was $39.99 before tax. Started the car and opened the doors. No problems.

Bought my '97 NSX-T used and it only came with one black key with red Acura on it and a remote. I need to get at least one duplicate made. Called my local Acura dealer and they wanted $53 for the blank key and $105 to program it! Guess I need to try a local lock smith.....

my local ace hardware does it here too. i bought a factory key for my 92 and he didnt charge to cut it. they said it was free if you brought in your own key. of coarse mine does not need programed, but they said they do it for newer models.

I found this thread when looking to make a copy for my 98 this week. I can confirm that ACE hardware locations with "automotive chipped key" services can properly duplicate your key. The blank for my 98 Targa was HD-106PT5 item # 86480 and the cost was $39.99 before tax. Started the car and opened the doors. No problems.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try locally for some spare keys for my 1997 NSX-T.

Last edited:
Took my 1997 NSX-T key by Ace Hardware and they were able to copy my key using an I Key #HON100 chip key. The copy starts the car and unlocks the doors as well. Price $53 with tax out the door. My dealer wanted $53 for a key and $105 to program it........

Back