• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX NA2 vs Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06

Re: Acura NSX NA vs Chevrolet Corvette C Z

A couple of you guys are misquoting my words regarding my comparison to $300k to $400k cars. I wasn't talking about the quality of the workmanship, those cars obviously offer finer appointments and more exotic body styles, but few can match the performance of the Z06 and that was my point. Even the Enzo at $1m is only a few tenths quicker (0 to 60mph) and 20mph faster top end. The Porsche Carrera GT at $450k a copy is only a couple of tenths quicker (0 to 60) and 5 to 8mph faster top end. I mean come on, give credit where credit is due? Show some reviews of production cars under $300k with track specs like the Z06, I mean they are rare if any at all?
EFE Z06

Well it's not all about you and you're posts, at least not for me. I was responding to SKi on the first one on 3-400k cars.

You are missing the point as well.
Drive the exotics you mention and you'll understand.
Great value and speed are important criteria for some. From a chair reading road tests it may look like a Enzo but drive a Enzo,a 355 or even a NA2 NSX and you'll begin to understand the attributes that set these cars apart and maybe, just maybe, understand why they would pass on your car.

All the exquisite restaurants with unique cuisines are not going to close just because theres a incredible diner. More food, more nutrition, tremendous value sounds like the only sensible choice but just like performance cars it's not about that. It's the connection and feel the car and driver share.

Your car fills your needs. I have owned Corvettes and I have driven and repaired several C6's and have driven three C6 ZO6's, in fact, I can drive one whenever I want and own one too for that matter. It's a phone call away, a phone call that' not going to happen.

NSXPrime has a long history of threads on comparisons that entice owners who rightfully have love affairs with the car of their choice and think there is a tangible reason why they have the best car. They think they discovered the holy grail and want us to know we are wrong.
There are some here who buy $20k rebuilt wrecks and want to pass themselves off as 90K exotic car owners.
BTW, I have driven MANY NSX's and you could have some distance between one and another in terms of performance.
I drove another C6 ZO6 that felt slower than another one I drove as well.

EFE ZO6, your posts are some of the best I have seen here on Prime on a car to car comparison, but don't expect converts.

Last edited:
You know jetpilot, anybody can make a long list of problems even with an NSX and make it look like all owners are having it, and thats what you've done here. Please be fair if you are going to start a mud war? Why don't you be honest and post the real article regarding Europe and not make it look like a Corvette problem! You obviously went on the Forum and read Corvette Banned in Europe without reading the actual link, here it is! It's not a Corvette problem but all performance sports cars!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601093&sid=aijQ0.2BMGw8&refer=home

Not too happy about the test drive?
One driver out of thousands says he wasn't happy with his first test drive and you post it as if it were something common, a poor excuse for do diligence!

Roof repair flies off again.
The Z06 loose roof was recalled by GM early and dealt with ASAP. Some dealers tried to glue the original roofs when they should have been changed, but some owner didn't want to wait for the new pieces, thus the problem with some repairs.

New Paint looking weird?
Should I go scan through NSX websites and list all the little complaints I find and treat them as if all NSX owners have them? That's what you have done to fuel the already biased opinions regarding Corvettes. Over 90% of all Z06 owners are very satisfied with their cars and the few problems some have had is noway indicative of the majority. At least GM is trying to address any problems that arise with the Z06 and is working hard to eliminate them for the future. No car is perfect (especially in the first year) and all one can expect is for the manufacturer to fix anything that comes up, and GM is doing a good job. I've had two minor problems and they were repaired quickly. My roof never was loose but GM recommended I take it in for a repair just to be safe.

Here is just a few NSX problems and recalls and these aren't from NSX forums, but website bulletins. Like I said, no car is perfect including the NSX.

1991 NSX Recall
http://www.automotive.com/1991/12/acura/nsx/recalls/index.html

1991 – 2005 Trouble spots
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1991-to-2005-acura-nsx-2.htm

2004 Repair information
http://www.mycarwizard.com/vehicles/2004-repair-information/2004-acura-nsx-32-mt.html#recalls

EFE Z06

Why do I have the impression we are having a discussion with the Marketing Department for Chevrolet. :confused:

I do admire the Z06 and have said so repeatedly and I openly applaud its accomplishments; I prefer the NSX to the point I own 2. :cool: :biggrin:

You have a Great car, enjoy it. I guess I just DO NOT feel the need to "justify" why I own an NSX or the need to sell others on its merits to enjoy mine. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

...The comments about the far better build quality and reliability the NSX has over the Corvette is simply hogwash...

I've driven a C6 ZO6 and the performance/torque is amazing. I can only wish that my NSX performed like that, but then again, the handling of the C6 ZO6 was not as delightful as my NSX.

On Monday, I took my Astro in for a new alternator. Parked in front of me at the Chevy Dealer Service Dept. was a C6 ZO6 WITHOUT its roof. I've read on this forum that this "delamination" is rare, but this is the third C6 hardtop I've seen with this problem. If I've seen three already, it's not rare. (Also, Chevy has a "Recall" to fix the problem.)

I go to car meets all the time and I have plenty of C6 owners that come up to my NSX and tell me how good the build quality is of the Japanese NSX.

The General's build quality is MUCH better than it used to be. Today, I would not say that Honda's build quality is "far better"... just "better". But then again, I'd say the Ford's build quality is better than the General's.

Re: Acura NSX NA vs Chevrolet Corvette C Z

EFE ZO, your posts are some of the best I have seen here on Prime on a car to car comparison, but don't expect converts.

Thanks for the kind words pbassjo. I'm not looking for converts but rather just keeping the facts strait about the new Z06 which was the original subject of this thread. I've asked those who have owned both (NSX & now Corvette) to post their reasons for converting, but I think they already know this is not the forum to convince people why "they" think the Corvette is better and that's fine, it would just turn into a mud throwing contest with two groups that both love their cars.

Everybody loves the car they own and can justify why they picked it, and I understand why some may choose a NSX, Porsche, Viper or Ferrari over a Z06, I have driven and tried many sports cars that I didn't buy and know exactly why some prefer the choices they made. On the otherhand there are Z06 and C6 owners that have owned a number of exotics and prefer the Corvette (believe it or not), so it does come down to what their priorities are. Several well off owners on Corvette Forum own a new Z06 and an exotic also (Lambo, Bentley or Ferrari) and have posted the differences they experience in the cars, and of course performance is a big deal with them and the reason they love their Z06's.

I just perceive many on this forum make a judgment regarding the new Z06 (or C6) based on their experience with previous Corvettes and that is not a fair comparison, even I didn't desire to own a Corvette for almost 30 years, but the new models are a whole new ballgame. Let's let this thread rest in peace and recommend anybody interested in both cars actually drive them before making a judgment, then they can make an honest decision based on facts and not opinions. I hope the new NSX comes out with the hottest looks ever, at least 500HP and an affordable price, then you guys will really have something to brag about! :biggrin:

Cheers,
Ed
EFE Z06

Last edited:
Never ever saw Acura do any sort of promotional campaign on an NSX off the showroom floor!

Then you weren't paying attention - there have been many discounted NSX lease programs from Acura. When I bought my car, new from Acura, in 1996, there was a $10k factory rebate and the dealer gave me another $2k.

I get crowds around my car almost every place I park it, and that is no exaggeration.

(( ;
EFE Z06

Funny you brought this up. Yesterday I pulled up in a gas station where there was a shiny black C6 (brand new w/ temp tags) pumping gas and next to it was a van (with AZ/ NM plates :confused: ) loaded with college students.

When I pulled up the kids literally jumped out of the van and took snap shots of my 14 year old NSX and yes quickly glanced at the C6 vette.

The cocky vette owner had to squeel tires as he pulled out (nearly side swiped a parked vehicle) just to get noticed :rolleyes:

I am also one of those NSX owners that can slip in a C6 Z06 (if I chose to do so) but no thanks, Im very happy with my mid-engine, all alluminum layout :wink:

This is so embarrassing. About 80% of the energy on this topic has been spent trading paint with a troll who never posted on Prime before. In fact all his 22 posts to date have been on this thread alone.

Let's recognize a troll when we see one, and not be lured into a pointless exchange. :rolleyes:

Please let this thread die!

"You guys try to make excuses that the NSX is all one needs or can handle performance wise, that's only because you don't have more power!"

I have owned many cars as well (30-40)
2 with well over 450hp.

What was the last cars rating I bought?
195hp.

Some get it, some never will.

Just know there is a guy out there in a Miata (and many NSX's) that can smoke you on a track. (Food for thought)
And all this talk about street racing & magazine numbers is for the birds.

If you truly enjoy driving, you will end up with something like an NSX
or a lowly 195 hp used car like I picked up.

The new Z06 is a great car!
Everyone here has told you that.
But, do not get indignant just because no one here wants one.
And I can assure you, for many its not for the lack of funds.
:biggrin:

Enjoy your car! Just like we do!:smile:
After you figure out its all about the driver, and not the car, you buy the car you like to drive.
Thats it.

I won't come close in touching the indepth comparison from previous posts. But I have to chime in. In 1969 I was 13 years old. My brother Ray returned from Vietnam and one of his buddies was Ron Hulett. His father owned Hulett Cheverolet in Camdenton MO. Ray bought a 1969 White Corvette at cost and it was a thing of beauty. In the mornings before the bus came to take me 13 miles to school, I would go out and sit in the car and listen to the Box Tops, The Letter. I loved the car and the song and it imprinted a love for the Corvette. A Vette will always turn my head.

But....... If I'm not careful an NSX will cause whiplash. I work with USAF Combat Controllers. Studs. They have their Harleys, PickUp Trucks and RX-7s and there are a few Vettes here and there. Despite all the toys, when I pull my NSX into the parking lot in a week or so, I know the adrenlin will be flowing as I get hammered about the NSX I'm driving.

The Vette is a Legend and it will always deserve the respect it receives. But as many have posted here, the NSX is a timeless design, not often seen, therefore it draws attention.

That's is the pride in ownership we all have.

T

This is so embarrassing. About 80% of the energy on this topic has been spent trading paint with a troll who never posted on Prime before. In fact all his 22 posts to date have been on this thread alone.

Let's recognize a troll when we see one, and not be lured into a pointless exchange. :rolleyes:

Please let this thread die!

EFE is not a troll. He has respectfully and with data defended the car he is passionate about. If he was the one who started the post, then you could say he was a troll. I have enjoyed the perspective that he has brought to the conversation. With all due respect, many people's opinions on this board are hopelessly NSX-biased and it is refreshing to hear an opinion from another source rather than just having a big NSX circlejerk.

He is a troll, his not starting the thread not withstanding. He has never posted on Prime before this thread, and he has never offered any other insight in any helpful way in any other place on Prime. He came here to defend his car. Period. If it were some years-long member with a thousand or so (helpful/insightful/interesting) posts to his credit he would not be a troll. Every one of his 22 posts thus far can be found in this thread, and this thread alone.

He is a troll, his not starting the thread not withstanding. He has never posted on Prime before this thread, and he has never offered any other insight in any helpful way in any other place on Prime. He came here to defend his car. Period. If it were some years-long member with a thousand or so (helpful/insightful/interesting) posts to his credit he would not be a troll. Every one of his 22 posts thus far can be found in this thread, and this thread alone.

Well I wasn't going to make anymore postings, but when a fool like you comes on this thread and makes idiotic statements and false accusation, I'll break my silence. Maybe you didn't read the original posters title, or maybe you haven't taken the time to read the whole thread, but either way the poster sure isn't going to get a fair opinion of a Z06 from most single minded chumps like you! The poster was asking opinions on both cars, the thread got posted at Corvette Forum and I came over here to add some knowledge that perhaps the poster would never hear from a bunch of diehard NSX lovers. If my opinions offend you, then you shouldn't have come to this thread because it was simply making a stand for the Z06 without all the bias from NSX owners.

Get a life Chops and if all you can do is come to a thread and call people names because you don't have anything constructive to say, I feel sorry for members on this board who may be looking for multiple opinions regarding other type cars, you offer no help at all!

Thanks to all others who at least expressed their disagreements in a gentleman's way.

EFE Z06

Geez, you're right. After all, who am I? I've never offered anything helpful on this site in my 7 years of membership and 10 years of NSX ownership.

Thanks for joining us, I welcome all your helpful advice. Enjoy your rattle-trap.

Geez, you're right. After all, who am I? I've never offered anything helpful on this site in my 7 years of membership and 10 years of NSX ownership.

Thanks for joining us, I welcome all your helpful advice. Enjoy your rattle-trap.

I'll do you one better, I've had an NSX for 12 years and about match your membership of almost 7 years. My last NSX was an '03 which I ended up selling too early so I got a regular C6 in the meantime. And I can tell you EFE Z06 is NOT a troll. He has come on this board to offer his opinion of his Z06 in a gentlemanly manner and has certainly not come across as a stubborn, arrogant or contentious Corvette owner. I for one can vouch for the greatness of the NSX after 12 years of owning a '94, '00 and '03. The Z06 also has its strong points so it is just futile to argue which car is better because there is probably no right or wrong answer, it's totally subjective. Whichever one picks they will not go wrong with. After owning a C6, I can tell you the Corvette has come a long way in terms of quality. My '03 NSX never had any warranty work done in the 3 years I've owned it. Both are awesome cars so lets give EFE a break and respect his opinions as I'm sure he respects other NSX owner's opinions.

I'll do you one better, I've had an NSX for 12 years and about match your membership of almost 7 years. My last NSX was an '03 which I ended up selling too early so I got a regular C6 in the meantime. And I can tell you EFE Z06 is NOT a troll. He has come on this board to offer his opinion of his Z06 in a gentlemanly manner and has certainly not come across as a stubborn, arrogant or contentious Corvette owner. I for one can vouch for the greatness of the NSX after 12 years of owning a '94, '00 and '03. The Z06 also has its strong points so it is just futile to argue which car is better because there is probably no right or wrong answer, it's totally subjective. Whichever one picks they will not go wrong with. After owning a C6, I can tell you the Corvette has come a long way in terms of quality. My '03 NSX never had any warranty work done in the 3 years I've owned it. Both are awesome cars so lets give EFE a break and respect his opinions as I'm sure he respects other NSX owner's opinions.

I agree and nicely said!!:smile:

Hello EFE:

I for one really enjoyed reading your posts, and wanted to say welcome to the site. Thanks for your insightful replies. I'm sure all will agree that the Z06 is an INCREDIBLE car for it's price. A co-worker recently purchased an 07 C6 with Z51 in yellow and I must say it's a different car up close and personal. I had the opportunity to tinker with it and drive it, and the car is really nice.

I can only imagine how nice the Z06 is up close. I humbly admit every time that I've seen one I turn my head. Whether it's the front air scoop or the wider rear fenders, the Z06 definitely get's my attention...then again, I'm definitely a real enthusiast. I hope to drive one soon, if not add one to the stable.

Cheers,
Ravi

Here are my two cents ... although I cannot comment on the NA2 or the Z06, since I have owned neither, I will make a general observation about NSX vs. vette ownership having owned both.

I purchased a 2000 C5 coupe and had nothing but problems with it. It was constantly in the shop for repairs such as steering column lockups, o2 sensors, and worst of all the rear differential went on it. I spent months fighting with GMPP to get it covered under warranty. They assumed that because I was under 30 that I must have been driving the car hard and to quote them - "The corvette is not meant to be driven hard or used on a race track and using it as such voids the warranty". Not really the expected response for what is supposed to be a companies flagship sportscar. Long story short, after 3 months of fighting, they finally coughed up the $8000 and I got a new rear diff.

Anyway, after all of the problems with the vette (and from reading the vette forums, I was not alone in my reliability issues) I found that I wasn't enjoying the driving experience. Yes it had more power, yes it was faster off the line, but I hated driving the thing. I was always wondering what would break next. On top of this, the whole cabin rattled and was made of cheap materials and the fit and finish of the vehicle was the same as any other GM product. All that being said, I am glad that I went through the vette experience, but I am also glad that it is over. I have now put almost 20k miles on my 96 NSX-T and have done nothing but oil changes. It is a lot more confidence inspiring and I find the overall driving experience to be a lot more enjoyable.

Anyway, the C6 Z06 is obviously a completely different story in terms of performance and I hear that the quality of the finish and reliability is slightly better, but in my opinion, if you want a reliable car that you are going to drive hard or track, a corvette is not the way to go.

Great thread guys, EFE thanks for your insight. It was also nice to visit the Vette forum and read their posts.

Really, unless you're a track junkie, the Z06 is a car for somebody who is just looking for raw power and the ability to say that they drive a Z06, because everybody and their brother knows what a Z06 is. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but when I bought my NSX, I could have bought just about any car I wanted, within reason. Under $150k, I looked at everything from Ferrari's, to Lambo's, to Maserati's and Aston Martin's. But, One thing, plain and simple, brought me back to the NSX each and every time, and that was the overall cost and reliability. I am not a power junkie (I would just kill myself with a Z06), so the 6 banger wasn't a big deal to me. If I want more power I'll just add a turbo or SC. But, at the end of the day, I know I don't have to worry when I want to take my car to Vegas... or even across the country. How many Ferrari owners (or even Z06 owners) would drive their car across country without first mapping out all of the dealerships? My guess would be VERY few!

Your last sentence is the key.

It all depends on what you want from your car. I think I have a reasonable perspective to compare an NSX and in my case a C5 Z06.

I drove a '91 NSX for 14 years and dearly loved the car. Teriffic seats, excellant GT car, got lots of admiring looks and questions from the general public, good build quality etc.

And yet.... It sure would have been nice to have an additional 100 hp, better brakes and some up to date electronics like stability control and an effective traction control. Losing the snap oversteer at the limit would also have proved beneficial.

After the demise of the NSX and with a limited budget (no C6 Z06) I finally settled on a used C5 Z06. And yes, it has an additional 100 hp, better brakes and modern electronic controls that work really, really well.

The build quality is not as good, the hiway ride on broken, patched pavement is not as supple, the seats are a POS and no one stares at your car with a sense of envy. Is that important to you?

What is important to me...the performance characteristics...

Would I trade the Z06 for 15 year old technology...no.

The NSX is a better street car, the C5 Z06 is better at the track in all areas and is better when pushed hard on the street, very well behaved.

It is a comparison of leashed beast vs gracefully aging former athelete. And, yes I do get to exercise it on the open road on a regular basis.

Sid

It all depends on what you want from your car. I think I have a reasonable perspective to compare an NSX and in my case a C5 Z06.

I drove a '91 NSX for 14 years and dearly loved the car. Teriffic seats, excellant GT car, got lots of admiring looks and questions from the general public, good build quality etc.

And yet.... It sure would have been nice to have an additional 100 hp, better brakes and some up to date electronics like stability control and an effective traction control. Losing the snap oversteer at the limit would also have proved beneficial.

After the demise of the NSX and with a limited budget (no C6 Z06) I finally settled on a used C5 Z06. And yes, it has an additional 100 hp, better brakes and modern electronic controls that work really, really well.

The build quality is not as good, the hiway ride on broken, patched pavement is not as supple, the seats are a POS and no one stares at your car with a sense of envy. Is that important to you?

What is important to me...the performance characteristics...

Would I trade the Z06 for 15 year old technology...no.

The NSX is a better street car, the C5 Z06 is better at the track in all areas and is better when pushed hard on the street, very well behaved.

It is a comparison of leashed beast vs gracefully aging former athelete. And, yes I do get to exercise it on the open road on a regular basis.

Sid

A CTSC would solve the power problem. A Dali BBK would solve the braking problem (which you should only have with a CTSC; the stock NSX brakes are excellent), a Type-R front sway bar solves the oversteering at the limit problem, short gears & the OS Giken LSD improves the traction control issue and increases performance...all for less money than you probably spent to "upgrade" to the ZO6.

Just pointing out that while Honda dropped the ball in terms of updating/improving the performance of the NSX there are many, many excellent options that have been developed by many, many great vendors over 15 years that allow us to update the NSX ourselves.

It's not difficult or very expensive to get the NSX's performance up to or beyond today's standards. I would still take a well-maintained 15 year old NSX over a 3 year old ZO6 in terms of reliability. If you decided to trade in the NSX for a ZO6 for performance reasons it wasn't necessary. If you simply wanted a change, that's fine, but that 15-year old technology you complained about still holds it's own and can be made to be much quicker than any C5 ZO6 for less than $15,000.

Back