• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura vs. Porsche

If you love the torque in the porshe, then you will not be happy with the NSX. I think you pretty much made up your mind already...

NSX curious said:
Yah, a little baiting. And those would not be stock engines. With very little cosmetic mods, I think the NSX is one of the hottest looking cars on the road. I own a 930 and love the torque. I'm thinking seriously of getting an NSX but afraid I'll never be satisfied.... especially since the 930 has sooo much more HP potential.

NSX curious said:
How much HP can you get via better flow exhaust and chip upgrades.... everything short of forced-induction??

I dyno 267rhwp/200ft. lbs. with intake, headers, exhaust (I/H/E). Car is a '91 3.0L engine.

Before my NSX, I had a 930 with a 3.4L RUF conversion, K29 turbos, Carrillo Rods, etc, serious brake and suspension mods done by the previous owner who had it built for the Silverstate Classic. That car dynoed just shy of 500 wheel hp, but I still prefer my NSX hands down both from a street and track driving experience.

See yeah, HP is great. More you have is good, but what about the feeling. You could have less HP but it will feel better due to weight of the car.

I have always felt that when I increased hp and my lap times improved that I was somehow cheating or taking the easy way. :wink:

NSX curious said:
Why is it that Porsche can develop 700hp+ from their 3.6L engine and Acura struggles to get to 450 from a 3.2L?

Well take a look at Hondas F1 engine a 3.0 producing 955hp and thats N/A. There are many Civic's and Integras out there pushing 550hp+ out of their 1.6 and 1.8L. :biggrin:

How reliable is this "700 HP Porsche"... I'd put my tuition not nearly as reliable as even a highly modded NSX. A car's quartermile time is pretty irrelevant when it's engine is being rebuilt and the car is sitting in garage.

driving a 700hp P car= :rolleyes:
doing 80mph and a left hand turn comming up on a highway with a 290hp NSX=Priceless :biggrin:
(pls dont try this with your "P" car)

Last edited:
Porsches and NSX's are both amazing machines and each have their own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. Why is there such a huge negative competition of superiority between different car makes. We are all automotive enthusiasts here, let's just enjoy our cars and disregard the pricks who are always looking to start conflict.

WealthBuildR said:
Porsches and NSX's are both amazing machines and each have their own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. Why is there such a huge negative competition of superiority between different car makes. We are all automotive enthusiasts here, let's just enjoy our cars and disregard the pricks who are always looking to start conflict.

Sound advise!!!! :biggrin:

Okay, gotta ask... my friend has a 911TT -stock- and Im hopefully picking up my 92 with C/T exhaust next week... how bad will she beat me? should i not even mess around?

BTW- she's 30, an attorney, likes UFC and guns, as well as fast cars and she's single... once I get my X i'll drag her out to some events in the phoenix area...

Here's a good example of where HP doesn't matter because of it's balance & weight.

The LOTUS ELISE!

Having just 10.4 pounds to move with each horsepower enables the Elise to accelerate from 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds on the way to a 13.5-second 102.9-mph quarter mile. It's no dragster, but still effectively identical to a $59,000 258-horsepower Porsche Boxster S (0 to 60, 5.4 seconds; 1/4 mile, 13.7 at 102.4). The Elise stops from 60 mph in 114 feet to the Boxster's 110.

Now i've raced against the elise and i was able to keep up on the twisties, but left the Elise in the straight aways. I've race against the best of them on the twisties and i was able leave most of them in their tracks with no problem and keep up with them on the straight aways, :cool: the only one i had a hard time was a 03 997 Turbo 800hp being driven by a GT3 driver. :eek: The NSX has it's perfect balance of weight & power and to add more power to the nsx just makes it even better. :biggrin:

I just sold one of my NSX's to a porsche owner who like myself has driven almost everything out there that is track worthy. He was overly impressed by how well, and how deceptively fast the NSX can be at the track.
NO, its not a straight line car, nor is it a #'s car, but I will say this I will take on any 700hp porsche with my 500hp NSX, equal tires etc. at a race track(road Course)

I have driven almost every porsche available, on the track, other than a 962, Carrera GT, Ruf maybe a few others. Well set up Gt3 's are nice and very fast but they still do not comunicate as well as the NSX, as far as chassis and steering feedback etc.
So far the only car that has me considering selling one of my other NSX's is the 360 CS Stradale.

NSX curious said:
Whoa, I just watched the video of that viper. Holy s**t, when those turbos spool-up you'd think it fly off the dyno!

I remember seen an article in either R & T or Mortor Trend. With sprots car compareson.... All stock cars... Driven by Mario Andretti; the viper's engine caught fire during the top speed run, the engine was on fire.... I wonder how much turbo pressure they can handle with 1000hp.

rickysals said:
How reliable is this "700 HP Porsche"... I'd put my tuition not nearly as reliable as even a highly modded NSX. A car's quartermile time is pretty irrelevant when it's engine is being rebuilt and the car is sitting in garage.

I have had two 996 TTs with around 700 hp and drove them daily without any problems whatsoever. I put over 30k miles on an 01 TT coupe, 15k on an 03 TT cvoupe and I currently have 28k on my 04 TT cab. I have never had any engine problems and the only warranty issues I can recall where a rear spoiler failure, a windshield wiper coming lose, and a instrument cluster light issue.

You simply cannot compare a 996TT to an NSX. I have a 98 NSX and had a 92 back in the day. Had a few other Porsches over the years and I currently have but one Porsche 996TT cabriolet, but I have a Ferrari and a Lambo to go along with the TT cab and my NSX. The 996TT is without a doubt the best all around car I have ever owned or driven. I love my other cars, but if I could only have one car, it would be a 996TT.

Attachments

• 454735_96_full.jpg
    454735_96_full.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 622
  • newfrontend.jpg
    newfrontend.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 629
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 612
The answer is easy, big power comes from either big boost or big displacement. The 930 is turbocharged therefore VERY easy to make big power from. My Supra can easily make 700+ RWHP (as many, many of them has) with a single turbo conversion and stock internals. Here in Cleveland, there's both a 930 that makes 700+ RWHP as well as a Supra that makes 944 RWHP. Keep in mind, NSX's are 3.0 or 3.2 NA's. Although boosting them takes some additional work (internals etc...), they can also make power. You don't see too many big power NSX's so they're not really known for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm here on this forum because I'm looking to add an NSX to m stable real soon but it's not for power. Most NSX's drivers aren't looking to make big horsepower.

I bought the NSX because it can pass under some parking gate. LOL j/k.

Edgemts said:
I just sold one of my NSX's to a porsche owner who like myself has driven almost everything out there that is track worthy. He was overly impressed by how well, and how deceptively fast the NSX can be at the track.
NO, its not a straight line car, nor is it a #'s car, but I will say this I will take on any 700hp porsche with my 500hp NSX, equal tires etc. at a race track(road Course)

I have driven almost every porsche available, on the track, other than a 962, Carrera GT, Ruf maybe a few others. Well set up Gt3 's are nice and very fast but they still do not comunicate as well as the NSX, as far as chassis and steering feedback etc.
So far the only car that has me considering selling one of my other NSX's is the 360 CS Stradale.

The ring time for NSX-R was 8:09 which is much slower than even a stock 2001 996TT (at 7:56), non X-51 stock rubber and with standard suspension set-up. Add a $ 2k suspension tweak to 996TT and it is a 7:4X car and even lower with R-compound. Stock 2001 GT2 ran 7:46 with street tires. Stock GT3 ran 7:47. Modified 996 platforms get well done into the 7:32. 20 plus second difference on stock rubber are huge.

The 930 is also a completely different car from the 993TT and 996TT. I have owned 930s. They are very crude and very raw. They do not handle as well and the lag due to the single large turbo can be very annoying on the track. It has a tendency to kick in just at the wrong time. There is very no lag when using the smaller twin turbos as incorporated in the 993TT and 996TT.

The key to straight line accelleration is area under the torque curve. Larger displacement generally equates more area under the torque curve. The NSX or S2000 can feel somewhat anemic to some in the low revs due to torque. Old Porsches (pre 1989 Carrera 3.2) also feel slightly weak until you get up to 4,500 RPMs or so. Even my 355 feels a little lacking unless high in the revs.

The acceleration issue you guys are focusing on is a torque issue and not a hp issue. You can completely alter the torque curve on a 3.6 NA 964 and later engine. I was able to squeeze a very relaible 300 ft lbs of torque out of a NA 964 engine though I did sacrafice hp when doing so due to mapping, breathing and back pressure issues to optimze torque. I lost about 25 hp (350 hp to 325 hp) to obtain an additional 50 ft lbs. I also drastically altered the torque curve so that power came on much earlier (around 2,800 RPMs). The made the car drive like a completely different car.

If you want more accelleration, stop worrying about hp. Focus on increasing area under the torque curve.

How you tune the engine is the key... Here is a cure ball for the Porsche Turbo guy... By the rule 1986 FIA F1: all constents must finish the entire race on one tank of fuel, no refueling allowed. Engine Size for Turbo charge Engine cannot exceed the size capacity of 1.5 liter and no more than 6 cylinders.

Honda developed over 1000 hp from the 1.5 liter turbo V6 engine and had absolutely no problem finish the race and win the championship, and Porsche engine was at least 10% off from Honda's Engine, and still can't finish some of the races with just one tank of fuel... Again, Alain Prost had to pushed his Porsche powere car by hand as protest...hahaha... Porsche broke the rule for having the only ever hybrid F1 powered car... HP plus Man Power hybrid.

Vavnce

Vancehu said:
How you tune the engine is the key... Here is a cure ball for the Porsche Turbo guy... By the rule 1986 FIA F1: all constents must finish the entire race on one tank of fuel, no refueling allowed. Engine Size for Turbo charge Engine cannot exceed the size capacity of 1.5 liter and no more than 6 cylinders.

Honda developed over 1000 hp from the 1.5 liter turbo V6 engine and had absolutely no problem finish the race and win the championship, and Porsche engine was at least 10% off from Honda's Engine, and still can't finish some of the races with just one tank of fuel... Again, Alain Prost had to pushed his Porsche powere car by hand as protest...hahaha... Porsche broke the rule for having the only ever hybrid F1 powered car... HP plus Man Power hybrid.

Vavnce

I'm not taking sides here, but just that to compare the Manufacturer's F1 results and performance to its street legal road production car is a bit irrelavant. No matter how much the Marketing dept. saying they use such and such F1 technology to its product...

If that's the case, I guessed Ferrari's owner should start trading their cars for Clios. They obviously beat the F2004 pretty bad this year.

NSXDreamer2 said:
I'm not taking sides here, but just that to compare the Manufacturer's F1 results and performance to its street legal road production car is a bit irrelavant. No matter how much the Marketing dept. saying they use such and such F1 technology to its product...

If that's the case, I guessed Ferrari's owner should start trading their cars for Clios. They obviously beat the F2004 pretty bad this year.

You got my point, I'm glad.. 911TT push out 700 hp vs. NSX with less power, is not exactly a fair compareson. How about compare a stock Porsche to a stock NSX, or HP per liter out put. So I can easily compare a S2k to.. let's say a Porsche Boxer. When the S2k Motor can produce up to 120 hp per liter NA, and the boxter is no where near it. But anyway, many post above indicated HP can be achieve through mod, just matter of how far a person is willing to go to squeeze out that power.

hehe...but the boxster is still the better car at the track.

On the street...its not even a fair matchup...especially talking re: the new boxster 987S.

ah well, i guess we all *have* to start somewhere...

996tt said:
I have had two 996 TTs with around 700 hp and drove them daily without any problems whatsoever. I put over 30k miles on an 01 TT coupe, 15k on an 03 TT cvoupe and I currently have 28k on my 04 TT cab. I have never had any engine problems and the only warranty issues I can recall where a rear spoiler failure, a windshield wiper coming lose, and a instrument cluster light issue.

I was more referring to time vs repairs... how reliable will the 996TT be after 8 years and 100,000 miles? i dont' know, noone does, it's the future.

i hope I can be as successful as you though, nice corral you have.

Back