• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Advice on selling overseas?

Hi- I receieved an offer on my stock wheels. Problem is the buyer is from overseas (europe). The good news is he has good itrader rating and has paypal. I think he is also a verified paypal user. Anything I should be worried about, should paypal be a safe method to complete the transaction? Any other suggestions? thanks

If it's a cash Paypal - and not Paypal via a credit card - then you really have far less to worry about.

Just to be safe, however, I'd PM the people he previously did business with here on Prime and inquire if there were any issues.

Better safe than "Tomaske'd!"

Hi- I receieved an offer on my stock wheels. Problem is the buyer is from overseas (europe). The good news is he has good itrader rating and has paypal. I think he is also a verified paypal user. Anything I should be worried about, should paypal be a safe method to complete the transaction? Any other suggestions? thanks

Thanks for the advice, how do I ensure that they pay via "cash" or through their bank (instead of via a CC). I wan't aware that one can set those parameters in the transaction?

If it's a cash Paypal - and not Paypal via a credit card - then you really have far less to worry about.

Just to be safe, however, I'd PM the people he previously did business with here on Prime and inquire if there were any issues.

Better safe than "Tomaske'd!"

I deal with people in Europe almost weekly and have had no problems. Paypal works great and with the dollar being so weak its half price sale for them. The only real issue is shipping, customs, and broker fees for the buyer.

Last edited:
I deal with people in Europe almost weekly and have had no problems. Paypal works great and with the dollar being so weak its half price sale for them. The only real issue is shipping, customs, and broker fees for the buyer.

^ what shipping do you normally use? The potential buyer said to just go with USPS and he's not concerned about the wait time.

Depends on the what the customer wants, USPS is slow but works fine. Most of what I ship is under $400 and 4 lb so it just goes through with out a second look. When the item is bigger and more expensive I like to use UPS for the tracking and insurance but its very expensive and the customer gets hit big time with duties and broker fees.

I believe you can set the parameters.

But if not, you can ask your buyer to pay via cash, and not credit card, when sending the Paypal payment.

Don't know which country the buyer is from, but here in The Netherlands, Europe afaik you MUST use CC to be able to have a PP account, cash PP isn't available.
Other problem is that some US sellers demand for the buyer to have a confirmed PP account, however, this doesn't exhist in Europe (and I think is only available in the US).

Only thing we have here is a verified PP account.

And perhaps a bit besides the point:
For some reason some US sellers simply will not sell to a foreign non-confirmed PP user and fully ignore the fact that this account form isn't available here!! SOO frustrating when seeing a good buy and the seller simply refusing to accept any other than confirmed PP so not beeing able to do the deal.

For some reason some US sellers seem to have a fear of dealing with anything other than US buyers.
I have had it happen several times :mad:).

Also some sellers simply lack good manners/professional attitude: once me sending mail offering to pay asking price on a part, confirming to buy when accepted, please let me know shipping cost. I get a reply from the seller he will find out shipping cost and let me know how much to PP. After this nothing for several days. On repeated request for a reply, getting the answer the part has already sold!

Only thinkable reason for this beeing the seller didn't want the hassle of shipping outside the US.
When replying I felt this to be a bit strange as I had already confimed to buy and felt this to be a done deal, just waiting for shipping cost to make the payment, I got a reply rambling on that I shouldn't make a fuss, not acting like a child not getting what I want.
I asked why not send me a message to tell me "no sale" as from the answer I got that after having a shipping quote seller would let me know the total to pay I expected to have bought the item.
I myself wouldn't have acted on another sale of a similar item elsewhere as feeling committed to the buy.
Seller replied that untill payment accepted he felt there was no agreed sale, stop making a fuss.

Some people really lack good manners/ don't know how to act in a professional manner. :mad:

Don't forget from the posts on Prime itself there are apparently more problems with domestic US transactions than overseas. BTW don't forget aside from PayPal, Western Union payment method is a cert if you want to be sure you have the money in your hand - though I even had trouble with this lately too as West Union US have embargoed some NSX sellers accounts here on Prime.

I once enquired on Western union money order, but it was rediculously expensive.
Also from a buyers point of view, I don't think it offers ANY buyer protection, if seller cashes and sends nothing, the cash is gone, so I for one would never use them.

Don't forget from the posts on Prime itself there are apparently more problems with domestic US transactions than overseas. BTW don't forget aside from PayPal, Western Union payment method is a cert if you want to be sure you have the money in your hand - though I even had trouble with this lately too as West Union US have embargoed some NSX sellers accounts here on Prime.

I once enquired on Western union money order, but it was rediculously expensive.
Also from a buyers point of view, I don't think it offers ANY buyer protection, if seller cashes and sends nothing, the cash is gone, so I for one would never use them.

So did you have an alternative to offer? It is a system most often trusted by those who already enjoy trust! It can be expensive as you say if the value is low but becomes easier for larger amounts that you might want to move quickly. As somebody who lost $30K on PayPal (yes thats thirty thousand dollars) on a single fraud Iam not going to pretend PP is fail safe and nor should anybody else.

Can you elaborate on that? Individual sellers or companies? Did they give a reason?

After paying for goods for my NSX this was an issue I stumbled across with WU in the USA. Happily a WU contact of mine here in Spain resolved the situation and I got my money back. I am not sure it will affect anybody here on Prime anyway as virtually 100% of domestic trade is probably paid for by PayPal and similar such systems. But be warned WU in the USA do place a "hold" on funds without warning and when they feel like it - and sadly it can be virtually impossible to recover your money if WU associate your transaction with an individual on one of their warning lists. If you need clarification further perhaps better to PM me.

Back