• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AEM EMS to iOS Digital Dashboard and Gauge Display

I'm trying to get some feedback, and suggestions for more/better functionality in my program.

The project I'm working is going to bring AEM EMS users and hopefully other engine management system users a digital dashboard and gauge display setup to their iOS device. My hardware streams data to your iPad/iPhone Via bluetooth. Don't mind the graphics too much, this is just a barebones gauge setup to test the hardware and it's interaction with the iOS device. Because AEM EMS is used on so many cars I'm trying to make the software as flexible as possible.

Some of the features I plan to include at release:
-Complete digital dashboard for iPad users
-Customizable gauge interface, add/move/size/rotate gauges as desired, -choose style and settings
-Each channel will have its own limitations, IE even though AEM EMS outputs 0-12500 or 0-25000rpm you can still choose a gauge that only shows 0-9000rpm.
-Any output from the AEM EMS can be read. If you hook up a fuel pressure or oil pressure sensor the software can read it and output in a user friendly format, not just voltage.
-Choose your colors, gauge bounds, and warnings for each channel
-Analog, horizontal and vertical Bar, Graph, text based and other gauges
-Data-logging that can be viewed on any iOS device you own. Log the data on your iPhone view on your iPad etc.

Other features that can be added in the future:
-Live streaming of telemetry to a server
-Combine telemetry data with on board video
-The hardware supports outputs that can trigger EMS functions for shutdown, or nitrous etc. The triggers can be sent from the iOS software with user defined limitations.
-I can individually program the hardware to analyze the data as well without an iOS device. I can program very specific triggers for certain racing conditions. My hardware reads the data, determines any number of conditions are met and/or not met and then triggers back the EMS via any of the EMS inputs. This would take some time but could be built on a case by case basis for the consumer. The system can even read sensors by itself.

Here is the program running with some test data but I'm gonna try to get a video of it running in the NSX this weekend.
I have prototype units available at a discount for prime members at $199. More information available here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...MS-to-iOS-Digital-Dashboard-and-Gauge-Display
www.e-noughlogic.com

IMG_0031.PNG

[/img]https://static.squarespace.com/static/519bf6c9e4b0c77ef938cb1f/525a40c9e4b0c103e97459a0/52ac07cee4b04b55eed898ea/1387005903401/iOS%20Simulator%20Screen%20shot%20Dec%2014,%202013,%202.22.17%20AM.png?format=800w[/img]

IMG_0816.PNG

Last edited:
I assume this is over BTLE? What's on the board that actually plugs into the EMS and streams the data?

If you intend to commercialize it I think it would be great if you shared the code and schematics for the board and possibly a doc of your wire protocol, so that a whole ecosystem of apps can be built to talk to your hardware... I'd be interested in helping you factor out the code for pairing and talking to the board from the app code, so that it can be published as a sort of SDK.

Is this the same thing I've been working on ?

I would be so I interested in something like this....
--bruce

What about software that runs on a pc? I connect my laptop to the aem ems and run a vga port to my monitor in the dash ....... but I hate the dash software that comes with the first gen aem ems.

What about software that runs on a pc? I connect my laptop to the aem ems and run a vga port to my monitor in the dash ....... but I hate the dash software that comes with the first gen aem ems.

Some have ran the AEM Tuner(The newer program) on the Series 1 ECU, I haven't tried it myself but if it is just for the dash it may work. There isn't much of a market for a PC app when most would just use the AEM software.

Similar thing I've been working on in the works. It works on with a double din though or any monitor that takes VGA or analog.

I'd be really interested in this for a phone though, keep it up!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...annels-you-would-like-to-monitor-from-AEM-EMS

Yeah there are going to be some similarities if both of our products are presenting engine management data. I saw and commented on your application, it looks great.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick clip of the program running in my car. Still needs a lot more work but I'll be adding most of the features soon, and then making all the graphical changes last.

Software has been progressing quickly. I'm happy with where the hardware is now and it is ready for testing. I'll have 6 test units available to send out in about a week or so. If anyone is interested please PM me and I can go over the cost and more of the details, please include which devices you will mainly test on. I will be sending the testers software updates as quickly as I can roll them out until release as I add more features and improve the current features and look. This is a good opportunity to get a fully functional test unit at my cost roughly half the price of a normal unit, while at the same time working with me directly to make sure you get the features you want and need.

Now that I'm sure of where I'm going to start with the hardware I also want to note that the test hardware will not work with all iOS devices. It will only work with newer Bluetooth 4.0 devices. iPhone 4s + 5, iPad 3 and 4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th generation. I do plan on making a version to work with older devices but this will have to work using wifi instead of bluetooth. My main focus right now will be finishing up the software and I should be able to release the wifi version once I'm done with testing and ready for a complete release.

Are you planning on an option to output to a touchscreen video display? I have been looking for an option like DashDaq, but I could not find a plug-in-play option available with AEM/EMS, and using it with Zientronix the cost is way too much$.

Search for top ten channels for aem my thread, he is offering a similar option for phones and IPads, I like where he's going with this though. Mine utilizing double din his is phones and IPads

- - - Updated - - -

Any plans for Android phones hybrd?

I've got a few test units in stock ready to ship tomorrow/friday if anyone is interested feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

One of my customer's test units in a turbocharged S2000. He just got the device today and is still setting up a few channels. He has a few additional sensors hooked up to his AEM EMS including Oil temp and Oil Pressure, these sensors work seamlessly with my app. I've still got a couple more test units ready to ship if anyone is interested. These are fully functional, and I'm updating the software constantly as the test phase progresses.

Last edited:
Haha I'm sure the check is in the mail.

Right now I'm working on the advanced warning system. In addition to the basic high/low warning system built into each gauge is a separate advanced warning system. Each advanced warning can be setup for multiple or singular conditions. IE Boost greater than 5psi & AFR greater than 12.2. Another example RPM > 3500 and Oil Pressure Less than 40psi. They can also be compared to other channels, IE AFR Not within 10% of target AFR, or Bank1 AFR not within .3 AFR of Bank2 AFR. Warnings can be visual and/or audio.

Last edited:
Advanced warning system is implemented. With audio and visual cues as well as a complete log of warning triggers. Perfect for low oil pressure warnings, or lean protection, etc. I'm going to work more on the advanced warning system later, but for now I'm moving onto datalogging.

Added the datalogging features to the app this week. Easily record and view the datalog right on the iOS device. You can also email the datalog to be viewed on any other iOS device. The touch interface makes it very easy to navigate the datalog and analyze the data. In addition to the factory sensors other sensors can be wired up to the AEM EMS and read by the app and datalogged, IE Wideband 02, Oil Pressure, Fuel pressure, etc.

Added a few more features. The datalogs now have a very easy export to virtualdyno feature. Simply zoom to any area of a datalog with a full throttle complete gear pull and you can easily export that area of the datalog to be emailed and opened in the VirtualDyno application. I made a quick second gear pull today and this program was literally within 1 percent of what it made on the dyno using a 1.00 correction factor. The application is impressive to say the least.

http://virtualdyno.net/

I also began working on my trigger system as well. Right now the app can wirelessly tell the transmitter to ground certain pins on the AEM EMS(not through the serial port but wired in to auxiliary connections on the transmitter). Setting up the optional switched inputs in the AEM Tuner/Pro application you can setup the two step or nitrous maps to trigger, and protect the engine during any number of conditions using the advanced warning system. This allows you to use the app to detect lean conditions at any boost level, low oil pressure mapped against any RPM, over boost conditions etc.

Here is the export from the app used in the VirtualDyno application:

Updates?? I like the idea of using an ipad or iphone because it's wireless, doesn't have to be permanently installed in the car and might be configurable in terms of display. I would like to see the numbers on your gauges in larger font in the center of the circular sweep gauge. Just my $0.02

Updates?? I like the idea of using an ipad or iphone because it's wireless, doesn't have to be permanently installed in the car and might be configurable in terms of display. I would like to see the numbers on your gauges in larger font in the center of the circular sweep gauge. Just my $0.02

Plenty of updates since may, I have many new gauge designs. I have updated the menu system. You can check out the app in the app store, the name of the app is "Digital Logic" . I have in fact made most of the fonts larger to make the gauges easier to read. The newest transmitters are shipping out with the trigger system which works in conjunction with the advanced warning system to trigger back to your EMS to help save the engine by rev limit, limited boost, etc.

The newest 1.3 gauge designs which should be available in the app store in a week or 2 feature multiple channel comparison to help analyze trends in the engine's tune. I'm working on the 1.4 update which will provide further data analysis for the datalogging system to help make the best use of the available data.

I have prototype units available at a discount for prime members at $199. More information available here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...MS-to-iOS-Digital-Dashboard-and-Gauge-Display
www.e-noughlogic.com

IMG_0031.PNG

iOS%20Simulator%20Screen%20shot%20Dec%2014,%202013,%202.22.17%20AM.png

IMG_0816.PNG

Last edited:
Quick video showing my AEM EMS interfacing with the PLX DM-6 gauge display. The setup works seamlessly with the PLX ecosystem, it blends right into their daisy chain system, and will work in conjunction with their sensor modules, or on its own directly hooked up to a DM-6 gauge. Great news for all of the android users, although you can't use my app you should be able to view this data output on the various compatible apps available in the Android Market that are compatible with the PLX Kiwi system.

More information on that can be found here:
http://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSST2IMFD

Back