• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

After 10 years feeling the itch to get something new........

Okay, after 10 years of relatively trouble free NSX ownership, finally feeling the itch to get something different. Of course I'm on a limited budget and have narrowed it down to these 3 choices. Each should be around $40 - 50k. What do you think? For those who have seat time, how does it compare to a NA2? Any experience or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!

1) 2009-2012 Porsche Cayman S
2) 2014 Cayman - base model
3) 2006-2008 Porsche 911 - base or S model

Last edited:
06-08 911 base or S, preferrably S > 2014 Cayman > 09-12 Cayman S.

Simple reasoning, the 997 911 will hold value better and its a 911. I sold my 997 911S after half a year of ownership. Lets just say its a fantastic car, drives great, lovely engine, build, and quality. The 09-12 Cayman S is a step down in terms of everything, but of course still a fantastic car to whip around. Driven one around, seems like a more balanced car, never had a chance to drive it aggressively.

The winner for best handling and driving experience goes to the new 2014 Cayman, if possible, get the S Varient. In terms of driving, it beats the other two Porsches. Only down side is that compared to the 911, it will lack just a tad bit of power on the mid-high range. But by no means is it a slow car. Still plenty of power, much better design than the old cayman, styling looks great. If you're looking for more value, get the 911, if you are looking for a better driving experience, get the newer Cayman. Cheers!

If it involves getting rid of the NSX.....none of the above!!!

Porsches are a dime a dozen here in so cal...saw an old lady the other day, on her phone of course, in a cayman the other day coming back from Applied Motorsports.... Made me glad I stuck to my guns and got another NSX over the Cayman....

If not ....a slightly used Cayman S....let someone else take the huge depreciation hit.

Only an issue on the 996 I believe.

Lucas

I think the 997 05/06 base uses the same 3.6 engine of the 996 so it could be exposed to IMS failure.

Couldn't agree more with the 06-08 911 S > 2014 Cayman > 09-12 Cayman S
I test drove a Cayman S and a 997 S. The Cayman felt quick but a bit...dry, cold of emotions I would say. I was not impressed. The 997 is I believe beautiful and the 3.8 engine is great. Driving dynamics are also totally different vs. the NSX!

I have not test driven the new Cayman but I heard the PDK is fantastic.

That is a great problem to have. Happy holidays!

My first post here (starting my search for an NSX to add to the collection :)), I currently own an '09 997S with their dual Clutch transmission (PDK). By far the most reliable and the most fun car i've owned. Porsche went through a major revision on the 997 in '09, electronics were updated, transmission was updated to dual clutch (amazingly intuitive, I wasn't a believer till i drove it, now almost cannot go back to a stick 911), the S came with a 385 hp 3.8 liter engine.
I think you should be able to find an '09 911 S PDK for somewhere in the $50's. They are incredible cars. Feel free to pm me with questions.

I know that "want something new" feeling.

If you're not in a hurry, why not lease the trio for a couple days then you can decide what is best. Spend a grand to test your next 10 year vehicle ain't a bad idea.

My vote goes to 911 C2S as well. PDK or manual you can't go wrong with either. But the dated Nav system is a PITA to use compare to your google maps on your phone lol.

If you're not in a hurry, why not lease the trio for a couple days then you can decide what is best. Spend a grand to test your next 10 year vehicle ain't a bad idea.

My vote goes to 911 C2S as well. PDK or manual you can't go wrong with either. But the dated Nav system is a PITA to use compare to your google maps on your phone lol.

I agree, great advise.

I have to agree with the nav, not sure which car can beat google maps though, I use my phone for navigation in every car, so much easier.

How does one go about leasing cars for a couple days?

How does one go about leasing cars for a couple days?

I was wondering about that also. Maybe he means rent these cars, however most rental companies wouldn't have a bunch of these kinds of cars in their fleet. Just go joy ride dealership cars. That's the normal advice I see given on here.

Vegas baby! Plenty of rent a car business there. like this one: http://vegasexoticrentals.com/fleet.php

Whatever happens there stays there :)

- - - Updated - - -

Dealer demo cars don't provide insurance and seldom lets you drive alone without a sales nanny. Also usually a very short test drive to really know how it feels to live with your purchase. But you're right! I meant rent not lease :p

Last edited:
You will need to get the 997.2 (2009). Porsche redesigned the engine and got rid of the IMS. However, the later 2006 to 2008 has the latest upgraded IMS which is way better than the ones in the 996's.

997 C2S or C4S is the way to go..... Don't like the older Cayman at all.

Are'nt there specific years of the 911 to avoid due to IMS issues?

I will never sell my 1st NSX with that said my buddy let me drive his 2014 Jag Type-F for 4 days now and today I just got back into my NSX and the lack of power was sad, the steering wheel seems so tiny in my hands, the throttle responce was nothing compared to the Jag, I felt lower in my NSX which I thought I liked but raised a little did feel better, the engine sound with the sport exhaust makes me want the Jag.
the downside in my eyes was the blindspot you cant see anything in your blindspot that was prob the deal breaker for me
and the rear view mirror seems magnified because of the shape of the glass in the rear.
the supercharger was awesome and instant power during hard WOT but I think I know there are better and faster things out there
I dont think I would ever sell my 1st NSX its a part of my soul.

but.... I will report back after I get use to the NSX again and give another opinion.

I will never sell my 1st NSX with that said my buddy let me drive his 2014 Jag Type-F for 4 days now and today I just got back into my NSX and the lack of power was sad, the steering wheel seems so tiny in my hands, the throttle responce was nothing compared to the Jag, I felt lower in my NSX which I thought I liked but raised a little did feel better, the engine sound with the sport exhaust makes me want the Jag.
the downside in my eyes was the blindspot you cant see anything in your blindspot that was prob the deal breaker for me
and the rear view mirror seems magnified because of the shape of the glass in the rear.
the supercharger was awesome and instant power during hard WOT but I think I know there are better and faster things out there
I dont think I would ever sell my 1st NSX its a part of my soul.

but.... I will report back after I get use to the NSX again and give another opinion.

Shawn,

I can only say, from personal experience, I understand this sentiment. As all or most of us can attest, most cars today are faster and obviously contain superior technology.
Of course the NSX is slower than many cars in this class or in general however, that's irrelevant. It has and will always capture the overall essence of driving.

Following multiple stints in the GTR, 911 Turbo, Gallardo and many other, (much faster cars), I personally always revert to the same sentiment...... it's no NSX.

Reason being....
I can 'Drive' the NSX, row through gears, enjoy the overall experience.
The appearance, driving dynamics, everything which encompasses the pleasure of Driving; irrespective of power, (or lack-there-of). :)

My .02

Back