• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftercooler for the Comptech SC

Hi Guys,
Here is a couple pictures of the aftercooler we built for Kip Olson's supercharger monster. We are seeing on the Dyno IAT from 97 at the start of a pull to 125 at the end and it drop back down to 97 by the time I save the data on the AEM EMS. We are running 9 psi on a Comptech 3.5 liter motor using a 2.3 liter Lysholm. We are making about 510 hp @ the wheels and turning the boost up a couple psi before NSXPO in Ohio. Cheers, Shad 916-861-0032, [email protected]
DSC08276 copy.jpg

DSC08239 copy.jpg

DSC08258 copy.jpg

DSC08274 copy.jpg

Shad how is motor longevity with a 3.5 liter conversion? Are you lowering the compression ratio at all?

Has anyone driven the car since this was all done?

Hi Guys,
I am getting the final pricing on all of the pieces and may make a batch of 5-10 of just the coolers (I am estimating the price to be about $2000 for just the cooler). I do not think you would see any HP increase for just the cooler unless you turned up the boost and re-tuned it. We needed this for Kip's car because on the race track with his heavy right foot/in boost alot, the inlet temps were getting too hot and losing us power. I do not plan to make this a complete kit but it will bolt up to all of the Comptech NSX SC manifold that have the bolt on top plate. It raises the blower about 2" so a longer belt and different inlet would at least be required. Targa NSX strut brace would also need to be redesigned. We have run one track event on the cooler (Sears Point) and will be running it at NSXPO/Mid Ohio and Road America the first of October. The 3.5 engine package has been very reliable so far. We did have a problem with another after cooler we were running leaked and damaged the motor. So when we put back together we did lower the compression to just under 10.0 to 1. Cheers, Shad

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Here is a couple pictures of the aftercooler we built for Kip Olson's supercharger monster. We are seeing on the Dyno IAT from 97 at the start of a pull to 125 at the end and it drop back down to 97 by the time I save the data on the AEM EMS. We are running 9 psi on a Comptech 3.5 liter motor using a 2.3 liter Lysholm. We are making about 510 hp @ the wheels and turning the boost up a couple psi before NSXPO in Ohio. Cheers, Shad 916-861-0032, [email protected]
View attachment 36934

View attachment 36935

View attachment 36936

View attachment 36937

The setup looks nice. I can appreciate the amount of work it is to build something like that. Congrats.

However, I have to ask if you are worried about the temps over a longer time frame then one pull in one gear? If the temps of one pull in one gear rise from 97F to 125F, then what is going to happen if you are continuously pounding it on a track or something? Let alone doing a couple highway pulls going through multiple gears on a hot day.

I apologize if I am coming off being harsh, and I understand the CTSC and BBSC are in great need of help with IAT's, but in real world situations it seems this is going to heat soak pretty quickly. Any thoughts, or am I way off base here?

great setup :smile:

pricy at 2000$ but its nice someone picked up the ball that Comptech dropped. :rolleyes:

i salute you. :smile:

The setup looks nice. I can appreciate the amount of work it is to build something like that. Congrats.

However, I have to ask if you are worried about the temps over a longer time frame then one pull in one gear? If the temps of one pull in one gear rise from 97F to 125F, then what is going to happen if you are continuously pounding it on a track or something? Let alone doing a couple highway pulls going through multiple gears on a hot day.

I apologize if I am coming off being harsh, and I understand the CTSC and BBSC are in great need of help with IAT's, but in real world situations it seems this is going to heat soak pretty quickly. Any thoughts, or am I way off base here?

I'll take a stab here. The cooler system will heat soak but it will be at a much lower temp than the charged air from a non-cooled supercharger. My system heat soaks at 30-40 degrees over ambient and a full boost pull does not go up in temp across the rpm range. Non-cooled air from a whipple that is being pushed hard gets to 200-220 degrees. The goal is to have the cooler system dissipate the heat long term and run the temps of the charged air around 90-140 degrees.

Joe

Joe,
You are correct in everything you said. I think the biggest verable is how you are measuring the inlet temps. With your system the HKS F-con it still using the factory ECU and IAT sensor. When using the AEM EMS we see much higher #'s both water and inlet temp when logging data than we do on any of SPA guage in the car. But since I have been logging AEM data on Kip's car for a couple of years, i have been able to make changes and see changes in the data. I have had 260+ degree temp data from the inlet temp sensor logged on the AEM EMS on the racetrack. Is it realy getting to 260+ degrees not very likely but when I make a change like adding an Aftercooler and get the data #'s under 200 than I know I am doing something correct. I think the AEM EMS does not talk to the factory senors very well because I do not belive the inlet and water temps are changing that fast. I hope this made some sense, Cheers, Shad

From the looks of it you are using the stock sensor placed in the cast manifold. The stock sensor is known for heat soaking in the oem manifold, I'm wondering if going to a different kind of IAT sensor like the GM or AEM would give you more accurate readings? They are a different style sensor and may be less prone to transmitting the heat from the manifold itself rather then the air flowing by.

Looks excellent - also happy to see someone step forward to address the "shortcomings" of the CTSC package. :wink: Very interested if you decide to go forward with "production run" of these packages. Also, would this base plate work with the 1.6L whipple (Comptech)? Lastly, what is the approximate selling price of a 2.3L Whipple, these days!:biggrin:

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the slow response. We have run several track events with great results. I am moving forward on the final pricing and building a batch of 5 to 10 units. I will try to let you all know in the next couple of weeks. Again sorry for the slow response. Cheers, Shad

hi Shad --

Nice to see the new design.

The AEM shows off base IAT and coolant readings since the scalar they use is off as supplied. It can be adjusted under sensor setup in AEMPro by using your SPA gauge as a reference (which we've found to be very acurate).

Elite... In regards to the OEM sensor heat soaking... it's not the sensor's issue but where it is placed - in the manifold (a large aluminum heat sink). We've used the GM fast response IAT sensor which uses a 3/8" NPT thread. A phenolic or other non conductive material can be used to insulate this sensor. It still will always have some soak since in this application since the sensor needs to be manifold vs. further upstream in the intake.

take care,
-- Chris

hi Shad --

Nice to see the new design.

The AEM shows off base IAT and coolant readings since the scalar they use is off as supplied. It can be adjusted under sensor setup in AEMPro by using your SPA gauge as a reference (which we've found to be very acurate).

Elite... In regards to the OEM sensor heat soaking... it's not the sensor's issue but where it is placed - in the manifold (a large aluminum heat sink). We've used the GM fast response IAT sensor which uses a 3/8" NPT thread. A phenolic or other non conductive material can be used to insulate this sensor. It still will always have some soak since in this application since the sensor needs to be manifold vs. further upstream in the intake.

take care,
-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Yeah, I understand it's the placement rather then the sensor itself. I guess in this application there isn't much choice. But your idea of the fast response sensor and a phenolic spacer is probably as good as it will get.

In any case, this is a much needed item and I'm happy someone like Shad is producing it.

Hi Guys,
We are getting close to finally having the after-cooler cores finished and should be done by the first or second week in March. We did a batch of 10 and the first three are all ready spoken for. It includes an after-cooler core, hardware to mount it in place and a longer piece of hose to reconnect the by-pass pipe. This is not a complete kit and will need many things to plumb it (pump, holes, radiator, etc.) and make it work (tuning and air intake). This will bolt into any Comptech Supercharger (Autorotor or Whipple) that has a bolt on style top plate for the main manifold. Most of the Comptech Kits made after about mid 2002 all have bolt on top plates. It raises the blower about 2" so guys with a Targa brace will have to make something different. The final price is $1875.00 plus shipping and tax if in CA. We are now taking 50% ($937.50) deposits for the other 7 units. Please call or email if you are interested. Thanks, Shad 916-861-0032 or [email protected]

How vulnerable will the motor be to future leaks in the inter-cooler as in post 6. This is not like a radiator leak on the ground , it is in the motor, no way to tell until damage has been done. Kudos to you for your ingenuity, and support to the NSX. I am interested in this setup

How vulnerable will the motor be to future leaks in the inter-cooler as in post 6. This is not like a radiator leak on the ground , it is in the motor, no way to tell until damage has been done. Kudos to you for your ingenuity, and support to the NSX. I am interested in this setup

Hi Matt,
You are correct having the after-cooler core leak is a very bad thing. I know this from having had another brands core leak in the past. That is why we have very high quality after-cooler cores custom cut, not just heater cores or oil cooler. They are all pressure tested and the cores have a 1 year warranty. The best thing to do is check your water level after every drive and make sure the level is not changing. We should be able to start shipping parts the end of next week. Cheers, Shad

Just wondering is there an aftermarket gauge that can monitor the {IAT} Intake Air Temperature. If there is one avilable where is the sensor mounted?

thanks

It looks like your car is a later model NSX. The GM open element fast action response sensor we use has a 3/8" NPT thread. This can be inserted into the cast intake manifold.

This sensor can then be monitor through an engine management system - like the FI/C (which would be a perfect compliment for your NSX year). Check it out as a new product on the website.

This is not something you should need to actively monitor however. It can be observed during tuning making sure the system works correctly and then be left alone, or integrated into the engine management system as an active sensor that can add fuel based on charge temp. On your car, this would likely be redundant since the factory ECU will add fuel and retard timing if it observes the factory sensor seeing high temps.

Regards,
-- Chris

We have an intercooler core coming in from Driving Ambition to use with a engine we just completed. We intend on including the core in a plug and play kit with all hardware required if testing goes well. Thank you Shad for putting the effort to make this a reality.

Regards,
-- Chris

Back