• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Air Conditioning Problem

Howdy. The a/c in my 92 NSX only blows cold air through the passenger side vents. The air through the driver's side vents is noticeable warmer. By passenger side vents, I'm referring to the right middle vent, and the two on the passenger armrest. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Larry

I was just in omega13's nsx and it was doing the same thing. Its 106 outside and like 90 on the drivers side and 75 on the passenger side. He said it was the freon.

I am getting only cold airs from both side vents. The middle vents won't blow unless I turn the temp all the way down and max fan speed or/Auto speed. I have to play around the vent setting to get the middle vents to go back on once the middle vents goes off. It seems the problem starts when the cabin/unit gets warm. Any idea BrianK?

Could be a missing or disconnected sensor or a bad CCU. Run the test procedure and see what you get.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_the_Climate_Control_System

Hi BrianK,

With the first test, I think I got this:

<TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" class=MsoNormalTable border=1 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">LED on Defrost button <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">Open or shorted circuit for vent control motor or stuck vent control door <o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

When I ran through the functional check, the only time air blows is when it is at horizontal and it was full blast every time. Once it jumps to the other settings, no air blows at all. Any idea?

Rereading your posts you have at least the fan only runs on high problem. It's kind of strange to have just a vent motor problem, vent and recirc normaly fail together. I would say your CCU needs a rebuild.

Just to make sure, when I hit the Auto button, sometimes it changes to recir and sometimes it stays on fresh. In addition, sometimes when the temp is cooler and it is acting "more normally", air do blow without the max or auto fan setting.

If I need the CCU rebuild but I don't want the car to be in the shop for a extended period of time, what kind of core change program do you have? Also, do I need the whole unit or just the board? Thanks in advance.

Just to make sure, when I hit the Auto button, sometimes it changes to recir and sometimes it stays on fresh. In addition, sometimes when the temp is cooler and it is acting "more normally", air do blow without the max or auto fan setting.

If I need the CCU rebuild but I don't want the car to be in the shop for a extended period of time, what kind of core change program do you have? Also, do I need the whole unit or just the board? Thanks in advance.

Yes I have heard that the units can work until they warm up but I would expect it to get worse with time.

Reapairs don't take long 3-5 days and you can drive your car with out the CCU you will just have no HVAC.

I only need the board to do the repair $145, if you send the whole unit $180.
Exchange board is $250 + $400 core deposit.

I am getting mine recharged as we speak and will report if it fixes this problem. Mine blows cold on passenger (yellow-scorpion) and warm on drivers side.

Got the car back now, they replaced to shradder valves and recharged it. Works like new now.

Mine only had 12 ounces of refridgerant in it when i brought it there this morning. It holds 32 ounces. It still blew pretty cold with only 12 ounces, lol, just not when its 100+ degrees out.

I'm glad its working, sucks having a car with no AC in 100+.

Okay BrianK, I have gone to your website for the CCU removal instructions, and I will try it to remove it next week. However, do you also have an intruction to remove the board from the CCU unit?

Wow, Im glad I live in MN! It got up to the mid 60s here this weekend!! :biggrin:

Howdy. The a/c in my 92 NSX only blows cold air through the passenger side vents. The air through the driver's side vents is noticeable warmer. By passenger side vents, I'm referring to the right middle vent, and the two on the passenger armrest. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Larry

yup low freon for sure - mine was having this problem too and had a recharge and it was ice cold on every side.... :)

Gentlemen, same issue as many have already posted about. Passenger side ice cold, driver side slightly cold if that.

History on the attempt to repair the A/C problem with my 92 NSX is as follows. Car was R12 last season and when the problem initially happened I brought it into my local Acura dealer. Aprrox $600 dollars later with a 134a conversion, seals replaced on the firewall (the reason for the supposed leak) and the problem still exists. Their explanation is a "possible" expansion valve problem which according to them would require taking the dash apart to repair. This is something I really hope to avoid so I left it like that last season as the car is garaged most of the time and I could not deal with it at that time.

So this season the same issue of course but the driver side is even warmer so I brought it to a local repair shop owned by a friend of mine. Seeing some bubbles in the sight glass and reading this post I thought maybe the dealer did not put enough freon in and a simple charge would solve it. We hooked it up to his Robinson HVAC system and the low side was only 10 psi and high side 150 psi. We were both suspect especially of the low side pressure. My past experiance was low sides avg 30 psi. So we dumped 1/2 pound in and the bubble were gone but still no change in temp so at my request another 1/2 pound and the driver side got a bit cooler, but no where near the passenger side which is so cold it condensates on warm humid days. The interesting thing we noticed is the low side nor high side pressures changed! Still 10 psi low and 150 high. So can it be the expansion valve? Maybe a weak compressor? Are those pressures normal?? I went through the diagnostics systems that I learned through reading this post and everything seems normal. No error codes and the system cycles properly without issue. Any advise would be greatly aprreciated.

Tell me about it. I removed the whole air conditioning system last winter....It was such a brilliant idea at the time. I don't take it out unless its below 90.

Got the car back now, they replaced to shradder valves and recharged it. Works like new now.

Mine only had 12 ounces of refridgerant in it when i brought it there this morning. It holds 32 ounces. It still blew pretty cold with only 12 ounces, lol, just not when its 100+ degrees out.

I'm glad its working, sucks having a car with no AC in 100+.

Back