• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Airhorn, anone have one installed

Hi all, did anyone install airhorns in their NSX?
I have always installed Airhorns in my previous cars. It sounded nice and when the alarm kicks in, its loud as hell.
Anyway, whats the best airhorns out these days?
Thanks,
Calvin

I was just checking through new postings and saw your post. I bought a '98 NSX a few months ago that had air horns installed. As you mentioned, they are loud as hell. However, I don't like the sound of air horns so I took them out. I happen to have a picture of them on my computer because I want to sell them but haven't got around to posting them yet. Are you interested? I don't have any info on them today. I will write down info about them tonight and send it to you if you want. There are two compressors and four horns including the wiring and air hoses. Check out the attached picture.
Thanks. Dan

Attachments

• airhorns-r650.jpg
    airhorns-r650.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 709
Man, that must be loud. Ive only used one compressor and 3 horns at most. Can you tell me the barnd that is?
Thanks,
Calvin

I have them in my car but I only have one compressor and two horns.. They sound much better and louder than the road runner beep beep of the OEM horns..

I picked mine up at PepBoys for like $25..

took me an hour to install..

Heheh, yeah, I am not too fond of exotic cars sounding like road runner....beep beep.
Calvin

Heh... with the post about which exhaust sounds closest to a Ferrari, this one will probably have a question asking which airhorns sound like a higher-pitched Ferrari horn :p

Heheh, I reframed from saying it, I was thinking someone would mention that eventually, but yeah, It just sounds more exotic. (C=
Calvin

I think the key word is that it sounds different..

I once had a Civic and the OEM horns sound exactly like it..

As long as it sounds different and loud, I like it..

airhorns

Calvin,
The air horns I have are Voxbell. They are made in Itally. The part numbers listed on the horns and the compressors are the same, but there are 4 of them on each - 39421, 39423, 39424, 39425. I searched the web to find out how much they cost new. I couldn't find anything. Shipping is around $12 to the east coast. If you are interested, how about $40 delivered for both sets (2 compressors, 4 horns).
Dan
(650) 219-0535

djvarg,
How strong/fast are your compressors? I dont want a delay when I press the horn button. Know what I mean? Ive heard some like that. There is a short delay.
Let me know,
Calvin

NSXNXT said:
djvarg,
How strong/fast are your compressors? I dont want a delay when I press the horn button. Know what I mean? Ive heard some like that. There is a short delay.
Let me know,
Calvin

My PepBoy horns have no delays...

Fiamm makes a good air horn and it's available anywhere. On a previous car, I had two horns, one compressor and that was more than loud enough. I did have a fractional delay when I pressed lightly on the Momo horn pad on my wheel, but when used normally, as in 'I'd better let that lane-cuttin' moron know I'm here' circumstances, it was instant 'on-demand' sound. Two sets of horns and compressors seems a tad excessive, but if that's what you think you need, better safe than sorry! And for the record, it's the only aspect of a Ferrari I'd want to duplicate on my NSX:D

Ahh Hah, Its the Hella brand I had in the past which was good.
2 horns and 1 compressor. It actually had a slight delay.
Calvin

I offer a tank that hold air presure and a compressor that automatically keep it at over 100 psi. Comes with two large trumpets. In my shop we call these train horns. Creatively, you can fit in and around the spare tire. You will need to make custom brackets. This is loud loud loud and around $275.00 for complete kit. Call me at 813-882-8477 if you have questions. Make sure you mention nsx prime as we normally sell in store for over $500 installed.

Flamm makes a hi/lo replacement horn similar to the horns used in the early 60's. I installed a set of these and I love them. They're inexpensive and LOUD. I found them at the local Advance Auto Parts. They are small and easy to install.

Andy Buzz said:
I offer a tank that hold air presure and a compressor that automatically keep it at over 100 psi. Comes with two large trumpets. In my shop we call these train horns. Creatively, you can fit in and around the spare tire. You will need to make custom brackets. This is loud loud loud and around $275.00 for complete kit. Call me at 813-882-8477 if you have questions. Make sure you mention nsx prime as we normally sell in store for over $500 installed.

$275 for horns seems steep...I am not sure that will do the job any differently than the $25 ones.

Night and day difference, In a big rig or train, there is a tank that constantly holds about 100 psi pressure. I any Fiamm or compressor driven horn, you are working with about 20 psi and not nearly the cfm flow.

$275 is a steal for a quality train type horn that can be made to fit the NSX. Sure it is more than $25 but if you want loud this is loud. The difference is sound is night and day and clearly ten times louder.

Andy Buzz said:
Night and day difference, In a big rig or train, there is a tank that constantly holds about 100 psi pressure. I any Fiamm or compressor driven horn, you are working with about 20 psi and not nearly the cfm flow.

$275 is a steal for a quality train type horn that can be made to fit the NSX. Sure it is more than $25 but if you want loud this is loud. The difference is sound is night and day and clearly ten times louder.

Not dissing your product, just can't seem to justify the price for horns.. The horns I have are loud enough, I don't want to burst people's ear drums when they cross the street not looking..

Sound's cool though..

When hooking up these horns, we usually have a separate button. These horns are not for the timid. They are designed to be the loudest and most obnoxious sounding.

I have an Supercharged Chevy Tahoe that I drive for work use and the train horn works amazing at waking up stupid people driving in a coma. Again, these are not for sane considerate drivers.

Holy moley,
My town is mostly adult community development.
I can imagine everytime I hit the horn someone has a heart attack. Nah, I cant have something that loud. Something abit louder then the beep beep stock is fine. I just like the sound of the horn as long as there is no delay.
Im between hella and piaa. 2 horns is enough.

djvarg, sorry, Ill pass on your horns. )C=

Thanks,
Calvin

I installed Fiamm Italian air horns in my NSX. I bought them at a Concorso Italiano where I could listen to them before buying. I had a plastic mount made at Tap Plastics which the compressor and three horns (each a different frequency to together make a chord) bolt to, and which in turn bolts inside my spare tire.

I like it a lot. It sounds very beautiful and Italian to me. I also like that I also have the option to just press it for a moment to get a small toot as the air compressor spins up, to gently tell someone the light is green without being annoying to them and everyone else around, or can hold the button down and make sure some idiot backing up his SUV at me hears me with a loud BLATTTTT.

But it is a personal opinion thing -- while some other car fans love it, I have had a couple of non-car people say they don't like that air horn sound. Of course, they never heard how bad the OEM horn sounded.

Chip

Back