• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

*alert* another stolen car

Here's what Darkcyd did:

"I've spoken with the adjusters from Farmers and they said that they usually wait 20-30 days max to determine whether the vehicle will be declared as non-recoverable and total loss. Then they'll pay out. As far as the value, that is the big unknown right now. I've obtained the receipts from the brand new tires I had just purchased, from the new clutch I put in, the NOS system installed, the rims I had on the car, and the alarm and stereo sytem installs. So now I'm compiling a list of similar year and mileage NSX's on the market so that I will be able to work with the adjuster to get the fairest settlement. Thanks to ANYTIME for the suggestion. "

VampNSX said:
The insurance will probably want to give me blue book value on my car but I know that that's a joke cause according to the Blue Book I should be able to have 3 NSXs in my garage. were can I get a real value of the car that hold up with the insurance people.?
They are required to make you whole, and should be getting their data from actual vehicle sales, not Kelly Blue Book fabrications.

If they make a settlement offer that is unrealistic, ask them to find you a comparable NSX to yours for that price. That ought to get them to reevaluate their data sources pretty quickly.

Those are good tips.

Almost all of the people I know who were unfortunate enough to total their NSX have been quite pleased with the settlement provided by their insurance companies.

I guess I have good and bad news . The good news is they found my car and the bad is that it have no engine no transmission and all the after market stuff was gone except for the suspension. the insurance is going to look at it in the next 3 or 4 days and tell me what they will do if its a total loss or salvageable. I really don't want my car to be salvaged it will lose value. What do you guys think the insurance will do? do you think they will take it as a total loss?

This is just becoming worst every time I really have rethread not seen it no more than looked at it all messed up and with scratches that it did not have. It sucks looking at the your car like that after all the time and money you put into it.

I really hope none of you guys ever have to go through this.

Vamp, I am glad to hear they found your car. I hate to hear that those scumbags stripped it though.

Please keep us informed as to what the insurance does.

VampNSX said:
the insurance is going to look at it in the next 3 or 4 days and tell me what they will do if its a total loss or salvageable. I really don't want my car to be salvaged it will lose value. What do you guys think the insurance will do? do you think they will take it as a total loss?

I think the insurance company will estimate the cost of repairing your car. That will probably include the cost of buying and installing a new engine and transmission, which would be somewhere around $25-30K, give or take, using list prices on the parts, as well as any other repairs needed, including the replacement of the aftermarket parts. Unless your car was relatively new, I would expect them to declare it a total loss, and give you its market value, as adjusted for the depreciated cost of the aftermarket parts, assuming you have purchase receipts for them.

Which means it's basically the same thing to you as if they had never found it.

Vamp,
The only way your car can be labeled as salvage is if the insurance co. considers your car a total loss and pays you off, not if they decide to have it fixed. If they decide to total it, you get a check for the value of your car(this is the big unknown), and then it's off to the wholesalers(FLA. most likely).
Here's how it worked in my case: My insurance co.(FFinFarmers) totals cars when you reach the magical 65% of the value in damages. When I totaled my 97 that was worth 65k and the damages came in at 42k, it was on the fence of the being 65% of the total value of the vehicle. I informed them if they decide to fix my car(the owner of the bodyshop told me flat out that it would never be the same) that I would come back once a week until I was happy. It was all numbers to them, they didnt care about the car having so much damage and that it would be worth less because of the repair history. Numbers only! And yes, they got out the kelley blue book and asked me all the options(CD changer, cassette, alarm etc.)

Let's say hypothetically your car is worth 30k. The damages would need to be around 19.5k before they would even consider it to be totaled. This is based on MY insurance co. and yours may differ. Ask your adjuster what the percentage of the the value of the vehicle determines wether it can be totaled or not.

Good luck,
John

PS, If you have any questions and or need help, please PM me. I went thru this and may be able to help you.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
as adjusted for the depreciated cost of the aftermarket parts, assuming you have purchase receipts for them.

NOPE, don't hold your breath on this one. I had receipts in hand for aftermarket parts totaling over 3grand. They said that made the car worth no more and decided they would give me a nice guy payment of $500 for the aftermarket parts. Strange thing happened, the aftermarket parts fell off the car before it was picked up.

As ANYTIME rightly notes, IF they total the car, the value that they offer you is the big unknown. I would suggest that you not worry about it until you reach that point. If you are not happy with what they offer you, there are various ways to negotiate with the insurance company about it, as discussed extensively here on NSXprime. But there's no need to worry about it until you reach that point and see what they're offering.

ANYTIME said:
NOPE, don't hold your breath on this one.

Obviously, different insurance companies will treat you differently, and there is no iron-clad rule that says that any particular company will do this. But many companies do.

It's a good idea to shop around when choosing an insurance company. Some companies are less expensive than others. Some companies are more concerned about the satisfaction of their customers who file claims than others.

Too many of us (myself included) do our homework and switch insurance companies only after a bad claims experience. At one time I was insured with the "good hands" people but found that when I had a claim, the only portion of those hands I received was one finger. I then did some research and have been quite happy with the "good neighbor" people since then.

ANYTIME said:
They said that made the car worth no more and decided they would give me a nice guy payment of $500 for the aftermarket parts. Strange thing happened, the aftermarket parts fell off the car before it was picked up.

Did you keep the extra $500?

thanks guys for the info on what I might expect from the insurance. I really appreciate your help and whatever you could tell me that you think will help me would be great. Once I get more info on my insurance ill post it and get you guys opinion on it.

Keep your spirits up, Vamp. This mess will be cleaned up soon enough, and you'll be in another NSX in no time. Good luck with the insurance settlement.

nsxtasy said:

Did you keep the extra $500?

Certainly not. The only thing that got damaged of the parts was the left rear taillight(japanese versions), so I just removed all the aftermarket parts and replaced them with the stockers. I assumed I would get paid close to purchase price on the items, since they were so new.

Last edited:
Just to up date you guys on my car the insurance are going to consider it a total loss so I will get a check in the next 3 weeks at the most. So I guess I will start to look for another one since its bin hell without my NSX. I have started to look at some so I will need your help. I might have questions on stuff and I will post them. The only thing that sucks is that I have to start all over again as in getting the car to the point that I want.

I am looking at a 91 NSX and I remember that they has transmission problems I want to know if this one falls in that category the transmission number is J4A4-1003143. did this car fall if the once with problems?

Good luck in getting a new one! I just got mine back from the bodyshop on Friday. It's still not done yet and I have to leave it at the shop again for 2 days this week, but at least I got to drive it over the weekend. I took it out for a drive on Saturday just for the hell of it. After almost 2 months without it, it almost seemed weird to be sitting in it again. Anyhow, I hope you find a new one quickly and look at it as an opportunity to make the modifications u want to make without the mistakes that u didn't want to make. I know I was kinda looking forward to being able to start fresh on my car, but then again, I'm definitely not at all opposed to having gotten mine back. :)

well with me its kind of a double edge sword cause I will start with a "NEW" one but all the money I put into my is gone. I will have to get all the stuff I want all over again. but then again like you say I will not make the same mistakes I did befor. either way it will cost $$$$ to get it like I had it. Wheels and suspension are the things I will start with again so if any one has TEIN suspension they are selling I might look into it. Or I will just have to get it all new again and that is not cheap

I had a similar event where my 1992 Prelude Si was stolen right out of my driveway while I was sleeping in my bedroom right above the car...

They trashed my aftermarket rims, ripped out the sound system, thrashed the suspension, and ripped out various engine components....

My CD's were gone, and they made long distance calls on my cell phone... which the police "investigated" ... to no avail ... I even called the #'s on the bill to talk to the people there... they obviously had "no idea" of anyone calling them from Atlanta at the time... (it was a california phone number)

All the non-stock items totalled over $4000... which was not given back to me by the ins co... =\

Anyways, the insurance woudn't cover the aftermarket stuff b/c I didnt claim it when I had the car...

The car was recovered that same day and the insurance company totalled it out... the theives ran over mail boxes on the way out of the neighborhood and plowing thru ppl's lawns at 330am... I'm so suprised it didnt wake me up because my exhaust wasn't exactly quiet....

but in hindsight i'm glad they didnt wake me up b/c I'd probably be in jail for hurting someone ... :D

Lesson Learned: always tell your Ins co that you've added things to the car, even tho it will raise your premiums....

-Electro

Electro said:
Anyways, the insurance woudn't cover the aftermarket stuff b/c I didnt claim it when I had the car...

That depends on the insurance company.

Electro said:
Lesson Learned: always tell your Ins co that you've added things to the car, even tho it will raise your premiums....

It may or may not raise your premiums, depending on the insurance company. Yes, tell your insurance company what you've got, and ask them what you need to do to get aftermarket equipment covered. Do it now, or whenever you install aftermarket stuff - you don't want to find out their claims policies after you have to file a claim.

Back