• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All season tires for drive to CA Jan or Feb '18

Moving from Houston to NorCal early next year. Currently have 225/45/16 Yoko ES 100 up front on OEM 16x7 rims and 255/40/17 S Drive on 17x8.5 oem rear.

Is it possible to use 225/50/16 tires up front? Looking at Bridgstone Potenza RE970AS pole position ultra hi perf. all season and same 255/40/17 size Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS pole position all season on rear. Anybody here using these? Input would be appreciated.

I am concerned making the drive with summer tires in possibly close to if not freezing temps. Besides, front tires will be close 8 y/o by then although still looking brand new.

Happy with summer tires here in Houston, but concerned with cooler NorCal temps. Would consider just having it transported if price is resonable. Any idea how much? Recommendation appreciated.

Wil
2000 NSX

Anyone??

I used Plycar Transportation Group when I bought my car. Shipped from Indiana to Oregon. If I remember correctly it was under $2000. Great service. You can go online and request a quote.

Regarding tires, I am not in agreement with what you are proposing so I'll leave it there. Personally, I'd stick with factory sizes on the OEM wheels. The 225/50 tires is 5.25% larger in diameter than the factory 215/45. Not ideal.

You didn't say where specifically in NorCal you were relocating. Most regions in NorCal are temperate and summer tires are perfectly fine. There will be times when the temps are lower than ideal for summer tires, but overall you should be fine.

Last edited:
I would drop down from 225/45 size in the front to 205/45.

View attachment 148601

The fronts are slightly narrower and slightly smaller overall diameter than the OEM 215/45-16, but within acceptable limits. Good reviews on TireRack.com as well.

Also available in these sizes are the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06.

Last edited:
Petaluma. So I should be ok driving in winter conditions running on summer tires? I will look into transporting as an option. I thought it would be a fun drive but not worth the risk considering tire issue. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

I have driven in light snow and cold temps with 200 treadwear tires on the stock 16/17.
Hankook RS3/4

Think you should be fine with s drives as long as your not hitting ice or much snow.
YMMV

Petaluma. So I should be ok driving in winter conditions running on summer tires? I will look into transporting as an option. I thought it would be a fun drive but not worth the risk considering tire issue. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Petaluma is kinda close to the bay but still slightly far away from it to keep the weather 50 degrees year round like SF. You will get cold mornings in the winter there. If the car is a DD, get all season. If it is not a DD, summer tires will be fine.

This is what I put on my NSX for this winter.
continental_extremecontactdws06_bw_140843_vary_jpg_s3_crop_500x500_jpg.jpg

I have driven in light snow and cold temps with 200 treadwear tires on the stock 16/17.
Hankook RS3/4

Think you should be fine with s drives as long as your not hitting ice or much snow.
YMMV

Really happy with S drive. Leaning towards transport service instead of driving. Only drawback with summer tires is low mileage we get out of them. Weekend Cali drives would be mini roadtrips, I imagine.

Petaluma is kinda close to the bay but still slightly far away from it to keep the weather 50 degrees year round like SF. You will get cold mornings in the winter there. If the car is a DD, get all season. If it is not a DD, summer tires will be fine.

Not a DD so summer tires it is.

Typically all season rated tires are just summer tires with deeper tread design.
Here (north, CANADA) people remove their all seasons and put winters on. Winters have softer rubber, that stays soft in cold weather. All Season are really three season.
If you have good summer performance tires with a new(ish) tread, go with it. I drove to NSXPO2015 through Montana minimal snow with my newer summer radials with no issue.

Typically all season rated tires are just summer tires with deeper tread design.
Here (north, CANADA) people remove their all seasons and put winters on. Winters have softer rubber, that stays soft in cold weather. All Season are really three season.
If you have good summer performance tires with a new(ish) tread, go with it. I drove to NSXPO2015 through Montana minimal snow with my newer summer radials with no issue.

Wow you're brave. Manufacturer does not recommend summer tires driven in freezing temps. Good to know you made it safe.

Back