• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to Z06, A Long Comparison

Well with all of the activity and furious posting by people who haven't even driven both of these cars in various threads, I figured maybe I should chime in with an educated opinion on these two cars. I owned a 2003 NSX for three years, which I originally bought certified preowned and still under factory warranty. This spring, I sold it for a used 2008 Z06 still under factory warranty for a few thousand more than what I sold the NSX for. My personal criteria in considering cars directly comparable is based on whether the intended use is the same and whether the current market price is roughly the same. Based on these criteria, I consider these cars directly comparable.

Cliff's Notes:

Advantage NSX: Rarity, Depreciation, Exterior Styling
Advantage Z06: Engine, Interior, Technology, Handling, Braking, Track Experience, Overall Ownership Experience

The Z06 takes the NSX driving and ownership experience to another level, vastly improving the performance of the vehicle and daily drivability while sacrificing only rarity and the NSX's timeless exterior styling.

Gory Details:

Price

As mentioned above, the Z06 was comparable in terms of price (a few grand more) but was 5 years newer and had 30k fewer miles. The NSX is legendary in the depreciation department, and that is certainly clear from this example. However, in terms of what your money can buy you now, they are equal in my view. You'll most likely take a bigger depreciation hit on the Z06 from this point forward, although not hugely so.

Advantage: NSX.

Exterior Design

The NSXs exterior design is now over 20 years old and still turns heads. In a word, it is epic. It is beautiful in a delicate, simplistic way. The Z06 is actually just slightly larger but appears much larger due to the much more muscular and aggressive styling. It isn't ugly, but it isn't beautiful in the way the NSX is. The Z06's design elements are purposeful, functional, and reflect the heritage of the Corvette in an appropriate way. However, I think it is clear that it will not age in the way the NSX has, as almost no car has been capable of.

Big Advantage: NSX.

Interior Design

I have always been a lover of Honda's interior design and ergonomics. The NSX has the typical clear gagues and layout that Honda is known for. I wasn't much of a fan of the nightime orange/red gagues a la BMW, but overall the NSX gagues were good. As extolled in many threads throughout these forums, the seats are well designed. They are comfortable, yet very supportive. Other aspects of cabin design are lacking, however. The cupholders and interior storage are basically non-functional. In the time of the original design of the NSX, when competing against Ferrari 348s, perhaps that was acceptable. In today's world, it comes up short.

The Z06 has a really underappreciated interior. Many who comment negatively about it are people who are stuck in the mindset of 10+ years ago, where a Corvette just goes fast in a straight line and it is otherwise a piece of crap. The gagues are better than the NSX. The interior has more storage by a decent margin. The cupholders work. It has dual zone climate control, heated seats (who is driving this car in the winter?), side airbags, an extra plug, and many other features of a modern car that the NSX does not. It is a very functional interior and overall it is better than the NSX. The trunk is large and far superior to the NSX. One thing that I don't like too much is the fact that the trunk is open to the cabin so in the event of an accident, you may be struck in the back of the head with whatever is in there. I believe there are some aftermarket things that can resolve that problem, but that is one downside.

Another downside is that although the seats are comfortable, they are pillowy. The steering wheel feels fine but it looks cheap. Interestingly, in my first trip to the track in the Z06, the seats worked just as well as the NSX seats in keeping me planted during cornering (perhaps due to sinking down in the pillowy-ness... haven't quite figured out why this is the case). Ultimately, I'll be ditching these in fairly short order for Recaros.

Advantage: Z06

Engine

The LS7 is brilliant. It has all of the bells and whistles of the NSX engine (titanium connecting rods, hand-built by one person, etc.), plus more than double the displacement (7.0 vs. 3.2 Liters), much more horsepower (505 vs. 290), much more torque (470 vs. 250 lb.ft.). Torque is available everywhere. It really is no comparison. The only advantage in the NSXs favor is the 8k redline vs. 7k in the Vette. Which is a very small advantage in my book, compared against the huge advantages of the LS7. In addition, the V8 sounds great and has butterfly valves in the exhaust. Gas mileage on the highway is an outrageous 28MPG because of the torque and very tall 6th gear. A dry sump oiling system is another very nice feature for those who track the car, which, with this car, you should.

HUGE Advantage: Z06

Handling

The Z06 totally disabuses the notion that the Vette is only good in a straight line. By any measure, the car outperforms the NSX. Weight is nearly exactly the same. Tires are vastly larger (215/40/17 and 255/40/17 vs. 275/35/18 and 325/30/19) which allows a much larger contact patch. The weight distribution is 50/50 vs. 40/60 for the NSX. The NSX feels great under lighter cornering loads but begins to push at the limit because of the smaller tires up front. Additionally, the steering is much lighter in the Z06 than I expected given the tire sizes and weight distribution. It feels quite good, on nearly par with the excellent feel of the NSX. All things considered, the Z06 is a clear winner in this category.

Big Advantage: Z06

Braking

The NSXs brakes are quite good, however, the Z06 has much larger rotors and much more substantial calipers to stop an equal amount of weight. With the larger contact patch of the much larger tires is considered, it is no surprise that the Z06 has much better braking than the NSX. Both cars apparently benefit from improved brake ducting to the front rotors when on the track (my NSX didn't have any, and the ducting I bought for the Z06 hasn't been installed yet), but this is a very common thing across nearly all cars when you put them on the track, so I see it as a very easily remedied, minor issue for both. The Vette has 6 piston calipers up front, 4 in the rear, and functional rear brake ducting whereas the NSX has 2 pistons all around and no ducting. Given all these factors, I think it is logical to suspect the brakes on the Z06 will be much less prone to fade, all things being equal. The only reason why they might not is the greater speeds acheived by the Z06 around a given track.

Ride Quality

This was one of the areas I was concerned about prior to ownership. Not the "Oxcart leaf springs hurrrr!!" issue, but more concerned about whether the suspension was going to be tuned so stiff as to be undriveable on the public roads. I actually found the suspension to be very comfortable, perhaps more comfortable than the NSX. Certainly the fixed roof of the Z06 helps out a lot in terms of feeling solid and eliminating cowl shake and some of the inevitable squeaks of the targa roof on the NSX.

Build Quality

As mentioned above, the Z06 feels more solid than the NSX. Part of that may be due to the fact that it is 5 years younger, part may be the extra 30k miles, part is fixed roof vs. targa, but ultimately in my world, money is the equalizing factor. So if I can get 5 years and 30k less for roughly the same price, well then the comparison's on. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the Z. With the NSX, I had to have the weatherstripping replaced (fortunately under warranty, an eye-popping $1400 otherwise) and I regularly greased the weatherstripping to keep minor squeaks at bay. The Z06 has none of those issues. Despite the legend of these forums, I never saw anything that struck me as outrageously amazing with the NSX build quality. It was a good build, no doubt, and perhaps outrageously good when the NSX was introduced but I don't experience it as better than what is being produced by car manufacturers today in the upper end of the price range.

Technology

Another vast gap in favor of the Z06. The digital display of oil temp, coolant temp, tire pressures, oil pressure, gas mileage, range, elapsed timer, etc. is extremely good for the track. The heads up display is quite good as well. The navigation system is a nice to have, although frankly I've yet to take the time to figure it out. The engine is a technological marvel, taking the best qualities of the NSX engine and adding 2 cylinders and a couple of other tricks. There's some other miscellaneous stuff like heated seats, auto dimming mirror and whatnot that are also there if you want them.

Track Experience

The NSX was a pleasure to drive on the track. As stated above, it pushed predictably at the limit and I felt pretty confident that the car wouldn't let me get too far ahead of it. I was always a slight bit worried about losing the back end, although that never happened.

The Z06 is also a hell of a fun car on the track. Even moreso than the NSX because the performance envelope is larger. I haven't turned any of the nannies off yet because I only have 3 days on the track with the car, but they haven't really intervened too much. Stock for stock, the car easliy competes with anything you can buy from a dealer. It feels quite nice passing F430s, GT3 RS, P-Turbos, and Scuds on the track, that's for sure. It also sounds damn nice while doing it.

One other area that I had a big concern with prior to owning the car was the seating position and the visibility out the front given the long hood. It isn't as good as the NSX (is anything?) but it wasn't intrusive at all. I was pleasantly surprised with how little was lost out the front.

Overall Ownership Experience

So far, owning a Z06 has been a great experience. The NSX does add some dimensions that the Z06 doesn't, by virtue of its rarity and exotic nature. However, from a pure driver's standpoint, I can't complain at all with the Z06. In some ways, the anominity is a plus. The NSX was also a pleasure to own, but given how much better the Z06 performs across all the various categories, it is superior overall.

Conclusion

I must say, when I started writing this I didn't expect it to be this much of a landslide. I idolized the NSX from the day I saw it. It was a life goal acheived the day I became an owner. My first car was a Honda Prelude Si. I've been a Honda/Acura fanboy from the time I started driving. Sadly, the fact is the company has lost its way, producing Accord Crosstours and Acura ZDXs while eliminating S2000's, NSX's, and their Formula 1 program. They are aiming for the mass market, and in defense of their shareholders, I can't say I blame them. But from a car enthusiast's standpoint, there is not ONE car in their combined Acura & Honda lineup that stirs me in the slightest way and that is a sad thing. At least Chevrolet doesn't wholly suffer from that affliction (yet). The Z06 is a modern sportscar, performance per dollar unparallelled, perhaps more daily driveable than a NSX (although I wouldn't recommend it for either car), and worth a thoroughly close look (and DRIVE) if you are a true car enthusiast who can get over any preconceived notions that might exist about this car.

Last edited:
Well with all of the activity and furious posting by people who haven't even driven both of these cars in various threads, I figured maybe I should chime in with an educated opinion on these two cars. I owned a 2003 NSX for three years, which I originally bought certified preowned and still under factory warranty. This spring, I sold it for a used 2008 Z06 still under factory warranty for a few thousand more than what I sold the NSX for. My personal criteria in considering cars directly comparable is based on whether the intended use is the same and whether the current market price is roughly the same. Based on these criteria, I consider these cars directly comparable.

Cliff's Notes:

Advantage NSX: Rarity, Depreciation, Exterior Styling
Advantage Z06: Engine, Interior, Technology, Handling, Braking, Track Experience, Overall Ownership Experience

The Z06 takes the NSX driving and ownership experience to another level, vastly improving the performance of the vehicle and daily drivability while sacrificing only rarity and the NSX's timeless exterior styling.

Gory Details:

Price

As mentioned above, the Z06 was comparable in terms of price (a few grand more) but was 5 years newer and had 30k fewer miles. The NSX is legendary in the depreciation department, and that is certainly clear from this example. However, in terms of what your money can buy you now, they are equal in my view. You'll most likely take a bigger depreciation hit on the Z06 from this point forward, although not hugely so.

Advantage: NSX.

Exterior Design

The NSXs exterior design is now over 20 years old and still turns heads. In a word, it is epic. It is beautiful in a delicate, simplistic way. The Z06 is actually just slightly larger but appears much larger due to the much more muscular and aggressive styling. It isn't ugly, but it isn't beautiful in the way the NSX is. The Z06's design elements are purposeful, functional, and reflect the heritage of the Corvette in an appropriate way. However, I think it is clear that it will not age in the way the NSX has, as almost no car has been capable of.

Big Advantage: NSX.

Interior Design

I have always been a lover of Honda's interior design and ergonomics. The NSX has the typical clear gagues and layout that Honda is known for. I wasn't much of a fan of the nightime orange/red gagues a la BMW, but overall the NSX gagues were good. As extolled in many threads throughout these forums, the seats are well designed. They are comfortable, yet very supportive. Other aspects of cabin design are lacking, however. The cupholders and interior storage are basically non-functional. In the time of the original design of the NSX, when competing against Ferrari 348s, perhaps that was acceptable. In today's world, it comes up short.

The Z06 has a really underappreciated interior. Many who comment negatively about it are people who are stuck in the mindset of 10+ years ago, where a Corvette just goes fast in a straight line and it is otherwise a piece of crap. The gagues are better than the NSX. The interior has more storage by a decent margin. The cupholders work. It has dual zone climate control, heated seats (who is driving this car in the winter?), side airbags, an extra plug, and many other features of a modern car that the NSX does not. It is a very functional interior and overall it is better than the NSX. The trunk is large and far superior to the NSX. One thing that I don't like too much is the fact that the trunk is open to the cabin so in the event of an accident, you may be struck in the back of the head with whatever is in there. I believe there are some aftermarket things that can resolve that problem, but that is one downside.

Another downside is that although the seats are comfortable, they are pillowy. The steering wheel feels fine but it looks cheap. Interestingly, in my first trip to the track in the Z06, the seats worked just as well as the NSX seats in keeping me planted during cornering (perhaps due to sinking down in the pillowy-ness... haven't quite figured out why this is the case). Ultimately, I'll be ditching these in fairly short order for Recaros.

Engine

The LS7 is brilliant. It has all of the bells and whistles of the NSX engine (titanium connecting rods, hand-built by one person, etc.), plus more than double the displacement (7.0 vs. 3.2 Liters), much more horsepower (505 vs. 290), much more torque (470 vs. 250 lb.ft.). Torque is available everywhere. It really is no comparison. The only advantage in the NSXs favor is the 8k redline vs. 7k in the Vette. Which is a very small advantage in my book, compared against the huge advantages of the LS7. In addition, the V8 sounds great and has butterfly valves in the exhaust. Gas mileage on the highway is an outrageous 28MPG because of the torque and very tall 6th gear. A dry sump oiling system is another very nice feature for those who track the car, which, with this car, you should.

HUGE Advantage: Z06

Handling

The Z06 totally disabuses the notion that the Vette is only good in a straight line. By any measure, the car outperforms the NSX. Weight is nearly exactly the same. Tires are vastly larger (215/40/17 and 255/40/17 vs. 275/35/18 and 325/30/19) which allows a much larger contact patch. The weight distribution is 50/50 vs. 40/60 for the NSX. The NSX feels great under lighter cornering loads but begins to push at the limit because of the smaller tires up front. Additionally, the steering is much lighter in the Z06 than I expected given the tire sizes and weight distribution. It feels quite good, on nearly par with the excellent feel of the NSX. All things considered, the Z06 is a clear winner in this category.

Braking

The NSXs brakes are quite good, however, the Z06 has much larger rotors and much more substantial calipers to stop an equal amount of weight. With the larger contact patch of the much larger tires is considered, it is no surprise that the Z06 has much better braking than the NSX. Both cars apparently benefit from improved brake ducting to the front rotors when on the track (my NSX didn't have any, and the ducting I bought for the Z06 hasn't been installed yet), but this is a very common thing across nearly all cars when you put them on the track, so I see it as a very easily remedied, minor issue for both. The Vette has 6 piston calipers up front, 4 in the rear, and functional rear brake ducting whereas the NSX has 2 pistons all around and no ducting. Given all these factors, I think it is logical to suspect the brakes on the Z06 will be much less prone to fade, all things being equal. The only reason why they might not is the greater speeds acheived by the Z06 around a given track.

Ride Quality

This was one of the areas I was concerned about prior to ownership. Not the "Oxcart leaf springs hurrrr!!" issue, but more concerned about whether the suspension was going to be tuned so stiff as to be undriveable on the public roads. I actually found the suspension to be very comfortable, perhaps more comfortable than the NSX. Certainly the fixed roof of the Z06 helps out a lot in terms of feeling solid and eliminating cowl shake and some of the inevitable squeaks of the targa roof on the NSX.

Build Quality

As mentioned above, the Z06 feels more solid than the NSX. Part of that may be due to the fact that it is 5 years younger, part may be the extra 30k miles, part is fixed roof vs. targa, but ultimately in my world, money is the equalizing factor. So if I can get 5 years and 30k less for roughly the same price, well then the comparison's on. I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the Z. With the NSX, I had to have the weatherstripping replaced (fortunately under warranty, an eye-popping $1400 otherwise) and I regularly greased the weatherstripping to keep minor squeaks at bay. The Z06 has none of those issues. Despite the legend of these forums, I never saw anything that struck me as outrageously amazing with the NSX build quality. It was a good build, no doubt, and perhaps outrageously good when the NSX was introduced but I don't experience it as better than what is being produced by car manufacturers today in the upper end of the price range.

Technology

Another vast gap in favor of the Z06. The digital display of oil temp, coolant temp, tire pressures, oil pressure, gas mileage, range, elapsed timer, etc. is extremely good for the track. The heads up display is quite good as well. The navigation system is a nice to have, although frankly I've yet to take the time to figure it out. The engine is a technological marvel, taking the best qualities of the NSX engine and adding 2 cylinders and a couple of other tricks. There's some other miscellaneous stuff like heated seats, auto dimming mirror and whatnot that are also there if you want them.

Track Experience

The NSX was a pleasure to drive on the track. As stated above, it pushed predictably at the limit and I felt pretty confident that the car wouldn't let me get too far ahead of it. I was always a slight bit worried about losing the back end, although that never happened.

The Z06 is also a hell of a fun car on the track. Even moreso than the NSX because the performance envelope is larger. I haven't turned any of the nannies off yet because I only have 3 days on the track with the car, but they haven't really intervened too much. Stock for stock, the car easliy competes with anything you can buy from a dealer. It feels quite nice passing F430s, GT3 RS, P-Turbos, and Scuds on the track, that's for sure. It also sounds damn nice while doing it.

One other area that I had a big concern with prior to owning the car was the seating position and the visibility out the front given the long hood. It isn't as good as the NSX (is anything?) but it wasn't intrusive at all. I was pleasantly surprised with how little was lost out the front.

Overall Ownership Experience

So far, owning a Z06 has been a great experience. The NSX does add some dimensions that the Z06 doesn't, by virtue of its rarity and exotic nature. However, from a pure driver's standpoint, I can't complain at all with the Z06. In some ways, the anominity is a plus. The NSX was also a pleasure to own, but given how much better the Z06 performs across all the various categories, it is superior overall.

Conclusion

I must say, when I started writing this I didn't expect it to be this much of a landslide. I idolized the NSX from the day I saw it. It was a life goal acheived the day I became an owner. My first car was a Honda Prelude Si. I've been a Honda/Acura fanboy from the time I started driving. Sadly, the fact is the company has lost its way, producing Accord Crosstours and Acura ZDXs while eliminating S2000's, NSX's, and their Formula 1 program. They are aiming for the mass market, and in defense of their shareholders, I can't say I blame them. But from a car enthusiast's standpoint, there is not ONE car in their combined Acura & Honda lineup that stirs me in the slightest way and that is a sad thing. At least Chevrolet doesn't wholly suffer from that affliction (yet). The Z06 is a modern sportscar, performance per dollar unparallelled, perhaps more daily driveable than a NSX (although I wouldn't recommend it for either car), and worth a thoroughly close look (and DRIVE) if you are a true car enthusiast who can get over any preconceived notions that might exist about this car.

I loved the way that you broke things down, actually doing a very thorough
evaluation having owned both. You don't even need a Z06, my C6 would also win. I personally love my 05 NSX (one of the very last built) almost like a work of art because it's so beautiful. When I pull the cover off I’m in awe every time I see it.

When I pull the cover off of the Vette, I'm also in awe but in a totally different way. I think, what a frickin' badass car and I love it also. I'm not even going to bring my 300ZX wide body into it. (Another badass mother)

I couldn't agree with you more except for maybe one thing. That is, the way I feel sitting behind the wheel of the NSX looking through that curved windshield on to pavement. Seems like I could reach out and touch it. It makes me feel completely connected as if I was actually an extension of the car and part of it. No matter how overwhelmingl and superior I admit the Vette is, I just don't get that feeling behind the wheel of the Vette and mine is pretty hot looking.

Heck, in retrospect I love them both equally, both have their pluses and minuses and that’s why I say they are two completely different cats and that's why I feel lucky to own both! :smile:

Jack

Great write up. I strongly disagree on only two things...

I think you are in denial about z06 depreciation... It will be apocalyptic as it always is with corvette. I got destroyed on mine as do all owners. They make a million of them.

The other thing is build quality. I never had squeaks, rattles, etc with any NSX. By comparison, every Vette I've been in feels like it was slapped together. They all feel loose and sloppy to me including the ZR1.

The other thing i would add is driving experience. This is subjective, but to me, gigantic front engine cars like the vette or viper are just not pleasurable to drive regardless of the numbers compared to any mid engine. The viper being worse than the vette, but both feel like boats to me on the track or on the street. Like interior and exterior styling though, this is definitely subjective.

did you mention that one is and exotic and one is every day domestic car? When they put the engine in the back of the corvette then we can talk. Then it will really turn the heads of the world.

Here is a link to the Z06 forum about the NSX. Find out the good, the bad and the ugly.:eek:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2658965-06-z06-and-91-nsx-pics.html

Unless it is someone who has owned both, and understands both, and is rational, I don't even read... Im a looooooong time vette forum member. Great place, but come on... Anywhere where a big majority will still use the term "jap cars" as a self explanatory pejorative isn't going to be a place for objective opinions on imports.

Superb write up!

I've been looking at Corvette's lately as well and think they are the best bang for your $.

That being said I'm pursuing an earlier NSX and will take my time as to whether I get a functional second vehicle (4 doors) or perhaps a Vette to compliment the NSX.

Thanks for posting your comments and review. I think its a testament as to how closely related these two cars are. Note that one was designed over 20 years ago and is being compared to a relatively newly designed sportscar...:wink:

As Barney Stinson would say "LEGENDARY" :biggrin:

The Vette is a fantastic car. Best daily driver sports car ever IMO. I had no rattles and no issues after nearly 4 years. Great car.

That being said, it was never exotic. That is what I missed about the NSX.

This is a good review!

I've grown to respect corvettes very much just by going to the track and seeing what they are capbable of. However, these newer vettes are just a little more expensive than my early 90s coupe, so I will stick with that =D

just waiting on snakey to come in here with his superior srt10 viper =P

I couldn't agree with you more except for maybe one thing. That is, the way I feel sitting behind the wheel of the NSX looking through that curved windshield on to pavement. Seems like I could reach out and touch it. It makes me feel completely connected as if I was actually an extension of the car and part of it. No matter how overwhelmingl and superior I admit the Vette is, I just don't get that feeling behind the wheel of the Vette and mine is pretty hot looking.

Totally understand what you are saying. That is one of the best aspects of the NSX. In fact, I say "the Z06 isn't as good as the NSX (is anything?)"...

I think you are in denial about z06 depreciation... It will be apocalyptic as it always is with corvette. I got destroyed on mine as do all owners. They make a million of them.

The other thing is build quality. I never had squeaks, rattles, etc with any NSX. By comparison, every Vette I've been in feels like it was slapped together. They all feel loose and sloppy to me including the ZR1.

The other thing i would add is driving experience. This is subjective, but to me, gigantic front engine cars like the vette or viper are just not pleasurable to drive regardless of the numbers compared to any mid engine. The viper being worse than the vette, but both feel like boats to me on the track or on the street. Like interior and exterior styling though, this is definitely subjective.

Keep in mind I didn't buy the Z06 new so I had someone else do the heavy lifting for me on the depreciation front. I expect about $5k per year in depreciation on the Z and I experienced about $3k a year on the NSX. It is a difference, but not a huge one. We'll see if I am right in my expectation on the Z's depreciations, only time will tell. I can't see it being "apoptaletic" under almost any circumstance.

They actually don't make that many Z06's anymore now that the Grandsports and ZR1's are out. Apparently only about 500 for the 2010 model year. I'm not sure if that will prove ultimately to be a good or bad thing, but I think it reflects the fact that the Z06 is not a bullseye for the typical Corvette owner. They originally bought it because it had the most HP, but now many are moving on to Grandsports/ZR1's.

Regarding build quality, do you have a coupe or a targa? I feel that many of the (admittedly extremely minor) issues I had with the NSX were a result of the targa top. Loose and sloppy? Although that is the conventional wisdom about Vette build quality, it just hasn't been my experience at all.

Regarding feeling like a "boat" on the track, that just does not compute. It has a different feel than the NSX, but that does not at all mean it feels like a boat. An example that illustrates my point was that a supercharged NSX that was on the track with me actually lost way more time in the corners than the straights.

did you mention that one is and exotic and one is every day domestic car? When they put the engine in the back of the corvette then we can talk. Then it will really turn the heads of the world.

Sorry, for me this doesn't do anything. I am much more interested in the driving experience per dollar than where the engine is located or whose head will be turned when I show up for a cars and coffee meet.

I've been looking at Corvette's lately as well and think they are the best bang for your $.

Thanks for posting your comments and review. I think its a testament as to how closely related these two cars are. Note that one was designed over 20 years ago and is being compared to a relatively newly designed sportscar...:wink:

As Barney Stinson would say "LEGENDARY" :biggrin:

I think there is very little dispute about the bang for buck.

I can appreciate the NSX's engineering being ahead of its time 20 years ago. There is no dispute on that fact. It is an automotive legend. But I'm not willing to pay for it. Meaning, if I can get better technology for the same amount of money today, that's what I go for. I'm not that sentimental.

The Vette is a fantastic car. Best daily driver sports car ever IMO. I had no rattles and no issues after nearly 4 years. Great car.

That being said, it was never exotic. That is what I missed about the NSX.

Agree completely. I think that is the one reason above all others why NSX owners will stay NSX owners. The cache of belonging to a small group of "exotics". I prefer the superior driving experience to the ego fluffing myself, but to each his own.

I've been keeping an eye on the C6Z06 for a while now. But my heart won't let me give up the NSX and I can't justify/afford both.

For my sake, I hope the prices continue to dwindle into the low 30's within a year or so, and I hope the economy recovers, I will certainly have a C6Z06 in addition to the NSX. All wishful thinking...

It would certainly make an excellent daily in my opinion, with all the amenities, comfort, power, gas mileage, navi, etc. And you don't have to worry about people messing with it, it's just a Vette! :biggrin: (I do mean that with all due respect)

One former owner of both told me that the difference between the NSX and the Z06 is the same as the difference between a scalpel and a chainsaw.

Oh, and there's an erroroneous statement in the above:

Tires are vastly larger (215/40/17 and 255/40/17 vs. 275/35/18 and 325/30/19) which allows a much larger contact patch.
As long as the tires are normally inflated, the size of the contact patch has nothing to do with the size of the tires, and depends only on the weight of the car and the pressure in the tires. For example, if you have a car weighing 3024 pounds and the tires are inflated to 36 pounds per square inch, the size of the four contact patches will total 84 square inches. That number applies regardless of whether the tires are 335-treadwidth steamrollers or 195-treadwidth skinnies. The shape of the contact patch is different - wider tires have a wider contact patch side-to-side, narrower front-to-rear - but the size is the same.

Great review/write-up. I like the objectivity and the arguments made on both pros/cons.

What stood out to me were your affinity for the LS7 and bigger brakes. This makes me wonder how you would have felt if you bought your 2003 NSX back but with upgraded brakes and with a Supercharger installed.

Last edited:
Good write up and evaluation...

It is too bad Honda didn't continue to compete with the performance type cars of the world. It seems to be for most of us, that Honda didn't keep pace with the rest of the world with the NSX. They came out with a bang and then didn't keep pace with other performance cars. (There are aftermarket items, SC, Turbo's, etc. that help the performance.)

They went to a 3.2 L, but other car companies, like GM and the Corvette kept adding performance. The Corvette seems like it consistently gets reviews as being the best performance car for the buck.

Now Ford Mustangs 5.0, Chevy Camaro's, Dodge Challengers all seem to be bringing back the muscle.

My son-in-law just received his 2011 Mustang GT he ordered. It is very nice, loaded with some very nice options.

I'm still sticking with the NSX. I love the looks, style, rarity and driving experience. That isn't to say that any of the other cars mentioned wouldn't be fun to take out for a spin.

If I had the $$$ I am somebody who could be like Jay Lenno and own each of them. Have a full stable filled with horse power. :cool:

Nice write up and comparison. I have always given props to Vette's, but the style just isn't for me. As for the engine, braking, etc. One small detail you need to remember is the NSX was designed and developed 20 years ago. Expecting it to keep up with new designs and features is not fair to the NSX. There haven't been any drastic changes in those two decades other than the swap to the 3.2L and a few tune ups. If Honda had made a modern interpretation of the NSX to stand side by side with the Z06, I think the result would have been different.

2 cents.

Nice write-up and thanks for sharing.

However, I respectfully disagree on the interior evaluation. Having driven both cars, I still think the interior in the NSX is better simply from an ergonomics aspect. There are, of course, more bells and whistles as market pace requires in the Z06 but the view, controls, and driver position of the NSX is, IMHO, unparalelled. Everything necessary is right where you need it and the lack of distracting gadgets, to me, is refreshing. But I'd love to have the C6 HUD on the NSX (if it could have been a factory option) - it's very very cool. You'd think it was just a gimmick until you actually use it.

Couple things about the Z06 I didn't much like, and C6's in general:

- shifter is the worst among sports cars
- vague on center steering and handling
- rough suspension on the Z06

But the engine, oh the engine...magnificent. Really, for someone just looking for an awesome sports car w/o any brand allegiances there's nothing equal to the C6 Z06 and especially so when price is a consideration.

If Honda had made a modern interpretation of the NSX to stand side by side with the Z06, I think the result would have been different.

2 cents.

True, but we have to play the hand we are dealt. For us, the NSX is timeless. For modern times, the Z06 is a true performer.

Totally understand what you are saying. That is one of the best aspects of the NSX. In fact, I say "the Z06 isn't as good as the NSX (is anything?)"...

Keep in mind I didn't buy the Z06 new so I had someone else do the heavy lifting for me on the depreciation front. I expect about $5k per year in depreciation on the Z and I experienced about $3k a year on the NSX. It is a difference, but not a huge one. We'll see if I am right in my expectation on the Z's depreciations, only time will tell. I can't see it being "apoptaletic" under almost any circumstance.

They actually don't make that many Z06's anymore now that the Grandsports and ZR1's are out. Apparently only about 500 for the 2010 model year. I'm not sure if that will prove ultimately to be a good or bad thing, but I think it reflects the fact that the Z06 is not a bullseye for the typical Corvette owner. They originally bought it because it had the most HP, but now many are moving on to Grandsports/ZR1's.

Regarding build quality, do you have a coupe or a targa? I feel that many of the (admittedly extremely minor) issues I had with the NSX were a result of the targa top. Loose and sloppy? Although that is the conventional wisdom about Vette build quality, it just hasn't been my experience at all.

Regarding feeling like a "boat" on the track, that just does not compute. It has a different feel than the NSX, but that does not at all mean it feels like a boat. An example that illustrates my point was that a supercharged NSX that was on the track with me actually lost way more time in the corners than the straights.

Sorry, for me this doesn't do anything. I am much more interested in the driving experience per dollar than where the engine is located or whose head will be turned when I show up for a cars and coffee meet.

I think there is very little dispute about the bang for buck.

I can appreciate the NSX's engineering being ahead of its time 20 years ago. There is no dispute on that fact. It is an automotive legend. But I'm not willing to pay for it. Meaning, if I can get better technology for the same amount of money today, that's what I go for. I'm not that sentimental.

Agree completely. I think that is the one reason above all others why NSX owners will stay NSX owners. The cache of belonging to a small group of "exotics". I prefer the superior driving experience to the ego fluffing myself, but to each his own.

I guess I don't get it. What is the definition of an exotic car. I have a 92 NSX but never considered it an exotic, sure it looks nice and drives well !!

Nice write-up and thanks for sharing.

However, I respectfully disagree on the interior evaluation. Having driven both cars, I still think the interior in the NSX is better simply from an ergonomics aspect. There are, of course, more bells and whistles as market pace requires in the Z06 but the view, controls, and driver position of the NSX is, IMHO, unparalelled. Everything necessary is right where you need it and the lack of distracting gadgets, to me, is refreshing. But I'd love to have the C6 HUD on the NSX (if it could have been a factory option) - it's very very cool. You'd think it was just a gimmick until you actually use it.

Couple things about the Z06 I didn't much like, and C6's in general:

- shifter is the worst among sports cars
- vague on center steering and handling
- rough suspension on the Z06

I like Vettes for what they are. That is a great daily driver, track car/road racer. However, I don't like the steering feel of the vettes. I drove a C6 and it felt rather numb. Now if you are comparing your 2002+ nsx that could be the problem. I have a 1994 with no power steering and that is the best way to feel the car at the track. Second to that would be the BMW assisted steering. The Z06 is a bargain to some degree and you can mod the Hell out of them to get lots of power and stopping. Most Vettes just need a set of coilovers that are well adjusted to do well at a road track.

Here is my problem. For the price of a C6Z06 you could get a used 911 turbo instead that is water cooled. The car is allwheel drive and the engine sits over the wheels too. A don't see too many Z06 cars passing the Carrera turbos at my track. In fact those cars are some of the toughest to beat. A stock Z06 car is fast but not that fast. I would also say wait another 4 years before we see how many creaks and rattles the C6 vette has. Right now they are too new to decide on that.

Anway, I am getting away from my point. Which is I agree with you to most of your points and a lot of NSX owners would be amazed if they drove a new corvette or any new car for that matter. The NSX is a bit dated and that is why I have modified mine to hold more power and stop better. That being said there just sooo many Corvettes out there and the average joe doesn't know which ones are Z06 and base C6 vettes.

Last edited:
nice write-up and fair evaluation :wink:

I really see the NSX and Z06 as different cars. I want to own both. They both provide a different style of driving and provide the owner different things.

Last edited:

I agree with you on the Z06 depreciation comment. A year ago I was walking around at a car gathering and came across a '06 Z06 with 40k miles. Mint condition, clear bra in the front. Asking price was $38k. Too bad it wasn't yellow, or else I would have called the owner and start from there.

I think vettes and vipers are front mid-engine cars like BMW, FD, and a few others. According to Enzo, it was what he preferred over the rear mid.

.......The only advantage in the NSXs favor is the 8k redline vs. 7k in the Vette. Which is a very small advantage in my book, compared against the huge advantages of the LS7. In addition, the V8 sounds great and has butterfly valves in the exhaust. Gas mileage on the highway is an outrageous 28MPG because of the torque and very tall 6th gear. ....

During GM's reliability testing of this engine in its prototype phase, the LS7 was remarked to have been repeatedly tested to be 8000 rpm.

A good engine tune with an open exhaust should take you past 30MPGs at freeway cruising and add another 40HP~.

Interior Design

Advantage: Z06.......

The NSX 45~ degrees door and center console sweeping down feels more exotic to me than even an F-car. Certainly more than a P car, vette.....

But the gauges, lighting, etc. of the NSX do feel dated.

ferrari_599_gto_xx.jpg

Back