• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Always being provoked...

It seems like every othere day I'm being provoked into a street race, usually by some kid in some car. I don't street race, but that's not to say I've never done it.

Today I was driving up a major street in my neighborhood and two kids in their black Chevy Cavalier were desperately egging me on trying to get me to race them. They came up to me and rolled down their window saying, "Car sounds nice. Let's run" I politely replied, "No thanks". As we headed up the street, they were still trying jabbing their accelerator trying to bait me.

Anyhow, I know most NSX owners don't street race but I was soooo tempted to do it. The car did have a blower in it. I can hear the blow-off valve. I'm sure they wanted to see how they'd do against an NSX.

I'm glad I refrained from racing him.

Yeah - there is absolutely no upside to that race.

Tons of downside.

Not mentioning the dangers and the risks posed upon totally inocent people, the biggest upside to that race would have been beating a Cavalier. Who would care? Imagine how youd feel if you lost!

take a deep-breath, and...

Always being provoked...

relaxingmusicvol10jt.jpg

If I was driving my S2000, it may have been a different story. I tend to be a bit more aggressive in my s2k than in the nsx. I kinda baby the nsx. Nevertheless, I'm glad it didn't happen. Too many unpredictable/bad things could have happened.

Street racing is not something that someone else can make you do. Everyone has a will and that gives you the power to choose to do something or not.

Wow ... I did learn something from that anger management class :eek:

One of the best things I read on here was to say that if you get caught street racing again you will loose your license. You save face and they usually then speed away happy.

Great Job!!!

Simons2k said:
It seems like every othere day I'm being provoked into a street race, usually by some kid in some car. I don't street race, but that's not to say I've never done it.

Today I was driving up a major street in my neighborhood and two kids in their black Chevy Cavalier were desperately egging me on trying to get me to race them. They came up to me and rolled down their window saying, "Car sounds nice. Let's run" I politely replied, "No thanks". As we headed up the street, they were still trying jabbing their accelerator trying to bait me.

Anyhow, I know most NSX owners don't street race but I was soooo tempted to do it. The car did have a blower in it. I can hear the blow-off valve. I'm sure they wanted to see how they'd do against an NSX.

I'm glad I refrained from racing him.

I must say that it is truly refreshing to hear someone tell a story like this with this kind of ending, not racing and bragging about it. I applaude you for being the bigger person and turning down the challenge from a couple of immature children. It says alot about your character.
There are many members on here that could learn a thing or two from reading this and realize there is more to life than racing.
Then again, some do 'live their life a 1/4 mile at a time':rolleyes:

Racing is for the dragstrip or track. I agree that NOTHING good could have happened if you accepted the challenge. The best case scenario is that you win the race without casing harm to anyone, but the only people that know are you and the other kid, who will most likely tell his friends that he "hung" with you.

Case in point, one Saturday afternoon in perfect weather, i was enjoying a spirited drive down a windy road thinking that i was the only person around. Out of no where i noticed some teenage kid in his mothers lexus try to speed past me. Obviously his car did not have the proper physics for the winding road and i witnessed him spin out of control and smash into both guard rails on their side of the street. Fortunately for me i was able to stay ahead of him and not get hit by the aftermath of his stupidity.

Our cars have nothing to prove!

Re: Great Job!!!

92NSX said:
I must say that it is truly refreshing to hear someone tell a story like this with this kind of ending, not racing and bragging about it. I applaude you for being the bigger person and turning down the challenge from a couple of immature children. It says alot about your character.
There are many members on here that could learn a thing or two from reading this and realize there is more to life than racing.
Then again, some do 'live their life a 1/4 mile at a time':rolleyes:

Thanks. I'm very competitive by nature so it's difficult to refrain especially if it's a car that could give you a good challenge. To be honest, I don't always turn the other cheek. Whenever I do engage in this illegal activity, I feel like an idiot and think of all that could have gone wrong.

I've never taken any of my cars to the track but look foward to doing so when time allows.

It would've been a waste of time for you,it's not worth your time or gas to race a cavalier..c'mon it wasnt a race car to begin with in the first place. Street racing isnt worth the consequences anyways!!! I'm glad your the bigger person and didnt persue it. Your the bigger man and you should be proud!!!!:smile:

Always the same here.... streetracing is bad, streetracing.. never do it.... poor innocent people, only children do it.... bla bla bla
Tell me, why are the "Getaway from Stockholm" DVD's so known here then??
I don't streetrace, I'm a slow driver.....but all those people immediatly jumping on these threads, maybe they should start there own religion, it's SO over the top!

Bart Geerts said:
Always the same here.... streetracing is bad, streetracing.. never do it.... poor innocent people, only children do it.... bla bla bla
I don't streetrace, I'm a slow driver.....but all those people immediatly jumping on these threads, maybe they should start there own religion, it's SO over the top!

:confused:

Bart Geerts said:

Sir, I am not familiar with the "Getaway from Stockholm" DVD's, but i do have the complete seasons 1-6th Seinfeld DVD set.

Cavalier? What a dumb name for a car for kids to be in. What does a Cavalier look like anyway?
Those kids are insulting themselves. Wouldn’t a Ford “Daisy” or GM “Pussycat” be a better name for their car?
They actually had a supercharger on a car called a Cavalier!?!?

(Ok, give Bart a break guys, his English is pretty good for a non-native speaker. I wish I could speak Dutch as good as he speaks English)

LOL about pelletz story tho! Kids have gotta learn somehow. I would have loved to see that, injured kids or not!

Yeah, this happens to me a lot lately. Just this past weekend, a driver in an SRT4 just HAD to show me how fast he was by making some "iffy" lane changes to get next to me and then accelerate past me. I didn't take the bait, nor do I ever. I may have done so once or twice when I was young(er?), but now I just think to myself "OK, fool, would you be so brave at 1.0g in an 80-MPH turn?" I'm convinced that the more I autocross and do track events the less motivated I am to take anyone's bait on the street. Street racing is for the foolhardy.

I suppose the "racy" looks bring out the worst in people at times.

Funny, driving the NSX I get both extremes. I notice that people tailgate me less and do less aggressive moves near me, even when I'm "strokin'" it, taking it easy in the right lane, than when I'm in my other less sporty cars. I noticed the same thing when I had a 5.0 Mustang a number of years ago. Sort of a street cred respect thing. But I also get more obvious challenges, too.

Our jobs are to resist and be smarter.

dquarasr2 said:
Yeah, this happens to me a lot lately. Just this past weekend, a driver in an SRT4 just HAD to show me how fast he was by making some "iffy" lane changes to get next to me and then accelerate past me. I didn't take the bait, nor do I ever. I may have done so once or twice when I was young(er?), but now I just think to myself "OK, fool, would you be so brave at 1.0g in an 80-MPH turn?" I'm convinced that the more I autocross and do track events the less motivated I am to take anyone's bait on the street. Street racing is for the foolhardy.

I suppose the "racy" looks bring out the worst in people at times.

Funny, driving the NSX I get both extremes. I notice that people tailgate me less and do less aggressive moves near me, even when I'm "strokin'" it, taking it easy in the right lane, than when I'm in my other less sporty cars. I noticed the same thing when I had a 5.0 Mustang a number of years ago. Sort of a street cred respect thing. But I also get more obvious challenges, too.

Our jobs are to resist and be smarter.

"...resist and be smarter." Well said.

For the most part, I get people complimenting me with a thumbs up, from all ages. But I agree that the "racy" look brings out the street challengers.

I think if I was "stock" I'd get less of the unwanted attention.

Simons2kFor the most part said:
I always seem to get people taking pics or video taping me driving down the road here. I'm kinda used to it but sometimes still get a charge out of the fact that a car this old(?) still garners this much attention.

92NSX said:
I always seem to get people taking pics or video taping me driving down the road here. I'm kinda used to it but sometimes still get a charge out of the fact that a car this old(?) still garners this much attention.

So true. Last week there was a young couple in an RSX following me down the street. I noticed they were pointing at my car, their heads tilting, streching from one side to the other, trying to get a better angle. The female passenger took out her cell phone and pointed it towards my car to snap a picture. She then showed her boyfriend-driver the picture.

In my head, I kind of made up the dialogue between her and her boyfriend: "Now sweetie, you have 6 mos. to upgrade to this or else I'm dumping you".:p

Simons2k said:
So true. Last week there was a young couple in an RSX following me down the street. I noticed they were pointing at my car, their heads tilting, streching from one side to the other, trying to get a better angle. The female passenger took out her cell phone and pointed it towards my car to snap a picture. She then showed her boyfriend-driver the picture.

In my head, I kind of made up the dialogue between her and her boyfriend: "Now sweetie, you have 6 mos. to upgrade to this or else I'm dumping you".:p

LOL, that is too funny.
My friends still get a real charge out of it when they are with me and something like that happens. They just laugh and laugh at it. I just chuckle and keep on cruzin'

Guys, I have the answer. :)
Even when I lowered my NSX and modded out the engine, I would still get provoked all the time. Then I bought the big brake kit for the front. NEVER got provoked again. Those brakes can be CLEARLY seen from a would-be provoker, and even a dumba$$ can figure out that anyone who would spend four grand on front brakes, does so because they have some SERIOUS horsepower/stopping issues. Besides, brakes really do make you faster.
My two cents.
:)

Chromatose said:
Guys, I have the answer. :)
Even when I lowered my NSX and modded out the engine, I would still get provoked all the time. Then I bought the big brake kit for the front. NEVER got provoked again. Those brakes can be CLEARLY seen from a would-be provoker, and even a dumba$$ can figure out that anyone who would spend four grand on front brakes, does so because they have some SERIOUS horsepower/stopping issues. Besides, brakes really do make you faster.
My two cents.
:)

Funny thing is that is one of my next mods!

Back