• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

An NSX for my old man.

My dad is reaching his midlife crisis, but he doesn't want to follow the traditional path of M3 or Z06. What he really wants is a Noble M12 GTO, but is concerned about it's lack of factory backing. His budget is around $75k or less, and everything from the NSX to a modded rx7 to the path I took of a JDM STi motor and tranny swap in a WRX has come up.

Since his budget is $75k I don't think he'll be up for paying the $90k for a new one. The only thing I know is that somewhere the displacement was upped for 20 hp and a 6 speed was put in. I know he'll want the 6 speed. He also wants more hp than 290, after all he's gotta be faster than me. :)

Which brings me to mods. My dad helped me wrench on my swap, but I don't think he wants a full blown project. So no swaps or aftermarket forced induction. What kind of bolt on performance is a available and what are the respective gains?

So what model years should we be looking at? Where should we buy used cars? What do we need to look out for? What modifications are usually gotten? Projected hp? What is the suspension like, and what hadling characterisitcs does the NSX have?

Thanks

Ben

Capt Crunch said:
His budget is around $75k or less
With Acura's incentives, you might be able to find a new one for that amount. But sales tax would push it over that. Then again, you can get a very nice early NSX for less than half that figure. And other used ones in between.

Capt Crunch said:
Which brings me to mods. My dad helped me wrench on my swap, but I don't think he wants a full blown project. So no swaps or aftermarket forced induction. What kind of bolt on performance is a available and what are the respective gains?
I would suggest he start with a bone stock NSX (or as close to stock as the used one you purchase would be). Live with it for six months before deciding on any mods. You (he) might have a totally different opinion of what it needs than what you might guess now, or what someone else tells you.

Capt Crunch said:
So what model years should we be looking at? Where should we buy used cars? What do we need to look out for? What modifications are usually gotten? Projected hp? What is the suspension like, and what hadling characterisitcs does the NSX have?
Have you looked in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions)? You can access it by clicking on the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of your screen that looks like this:

nsxtasy said:
Have you looked in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions)? You can access it by clicking on the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of your screen that looks like this:

Awesome! I'm so used to the FAQs not having any information, because the FAQ at the subaru board is completely worthless. Thanks!

No problem.

By the way, in case you would like to create your own custom avatar, here is one you might want to consider (Just right mouse click on it to save it to your computer, then click on User CP and then on Edit Avatar to assign it to your NSXprime username):

Attachments

• CapnCrunch.jpg
    CapnCrunch.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 629
This is for Zanardi 47. Here is the Carfax you wanted. Danny Yee.

Attachments

• AutoCheck Vehicle History Reports VIN Check, Your Report.txt
    17.7 KB · Views: 86
Capt Crunch]My dad is reaching his midlife crisis
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as an "old man", i'm curious: what, exactly, do you mean, by this?

it's quite likely your father can find a new car for ~ his budget amount, but taxes may shove it over the top. it's even more likely he can find a very nice, used nsx through any number of sources (prime, local chapters, autotrader, etc) for about half that amount. (i recently did this).

the nsx is a **great** car and a spectacular daily driver for the class of car it belongs to.

be well.
hal

I always wonder why people assume that you are having a mid-life crisis because you buy a sportscar. A mid-life crisis is a real phenomenon, something to do with an identity crisis.

Maybe your Dad has always wanted a sports car?

I get that mid life stuff all the time and I've always have had performance/sports cars.
I answer it this way: "Well I figure if you're gonna have a mid-life crisis might as well have it driving a cool car like this." :biggrin:

I've been having my "mid-life" crisis on bikes & cars since I was 13!

The only thing different that real mid-life brings is the necessary affluence to be able to more readily afford the toys!

Oh .... make sure you read that again carefully - I said affluence ...not flatulence!
fart.gif

How old is your dad?

I'm 57 and I've now owned 2 NSXs.
I've been a car nut since I was in single digits.
Owned my first car, a '62 Corvair with a stick at 16.

I've owned a '69 Corvette, '72, '80, and '98 Porsche, '93 RX7, 3 MR2s.
a Mustang SVO, '69 and '70 Mach I, an Opel GT... I could go on, but....

So, I guess I've been in a mid-life crisis for more than 50 years.

Larry T

PS.
It would be interesting to do a survey of NSX owners by age-- or has NSX prime done this?

hlweyl said:
I always wonder why people assume that you are having a mid-life crisis because you buy a sportscar. A mid-life crisis is a real phenomenon, something to do with an identity crisis.

Maybe your Dad has always wanted a sports car?
OK let me tell you why *some* men buy fast cars at age 50.
the reason is that at age 50 most people are in this situation.
1. they have accomplished about what they are going to accomplish in life. this includes job and personal life.
2. they figure that their life is more than half over.
3. their friends actually start developing real medical problems sometimes even dying.
4. their parents are almost in nursing homes.

these things all combine to make one realize that it is pointless delaying all those things you always wanted to do. so you take that trip to (your choice) and you tell your boss you do not want to work anymore overtime and you buy that car you always wanted. etc. etc.

not really a "crisis" more like an increased awareness of the passage of time and of life's limits...
:cool:

If I'm old I would go for a used F355 or a used 2003 or 2004 NSX.

Since this thread has morphed into an examination of the relationship that old guys have with fast cars, I thought I would chime in (I'm on medicare). I think Willabeest has captured the motivations involved quite well. In my case, I have a long history with performance cars, mostly in the affordable category. My NSX was a special retirement gift to myself, purchased for some of the reasons Willabeest listed. Paul Newman notwithstanding, driving an NSX anywhere near its potential when you are approaching 70 is not without some serious concerns. Even though I am enjoying excellent health, relatively speaking, and autocross a MINI Cooper regularly, I can feel my driving limitations more and more as each year passes. I try not to exceed those limitations. It is with some sadness that I admit that my NSX is becoming a "drive to Starbucks" car more than anything else, but I continue to get a thrill whenever I get behind the wheel. You youngsters out there will have to deal with all of this someday, too.

As a Post Script message to the original poster, referring to your father as your "old man" is not particularly endearing. Most of us old-timers don't like anyone to rub our noses in our advanced age.

flyin' porkbellies...

hmmm, I must chime in what may be perceived as a hostile manner... But, where is the troll patrol? This Cap'N Crunch (Ben) is obviously a troll and it's evident that his tale is no more than teen spirit seeking attention. I don't want to list every clue & point as to myself feeling this way, I'd likely miss Monday Night Football. :rolleyes:

Again, if I'm wrong (highly doubtful- in this particular case)... my sincerest apologies to Cap'N Crunch (Ben). But I've seen other newbies w/ fewer ignorant cues towards the NSX get lynched by our finest on 'Prime. :redface:

Official Troll Report

Osiris_x11 said:
But, where is the troll patrol? This Cap'N Crunch (Ben) is obviously a troll and it's evident that his tale is no more than teen spirit seeking attention.
Oh, I am here, lurking in the dark shadows. While Cap'N Crunch may be a Troll, it looks like he didn't need to prod much to get the attention he sought. :wink: Have you wondered why Cap'N Crunch has not been back? He just might be taking a prolonged, spell induced nap. :smile:

Back