• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Android Apps?

Hi

I have a Nokia E75 (S60) which I use at work. When not at work I use a SE X10 Mini Pro. The X10 will never take the E75's place. My E75 is so juiced up so the X10 will never be a substitute for it. The X10 has a 16gb memorycard.

Here are all what is installed on my X10 Mini Pro now. Some things are not tested yet, or they are a limited test before you buy thing:

Helix Launcher
(I like it even though I know there are others out there which is supposed to be better. Launcherpro should be the thing to go for. Helix has 7 pages where you can have your widgets/shortcuts.)

Documents to go
(use only the pdf thing)

Timezone
(as I will be traveling to NYC & Las Vegas for NSXPO and it is great to see what time is at home)

Astro file thingy
(Pretty good, but I have seen that some apk's will not install using Astro)

Note Everything with Gmail doc sync or something
(Use Best Jotter on the E75 and it is superior, but nice that Note E can record notes by the press of a button)

Android Agenda Widget
(I see that I do not use it so I uninstalled it, but may be good for those with a larger screen)

Batteryminder
(I think it's better than BatteryTime Lite which I uninstalled. Batteryminder tells me the remaining time in the without opening)

Folder organizer
(Have not looked into this. But it is a addon for the Apps Organizer which I use. See below)

ES File Explorer
(Same as Astro, but you can access your home network via wifi. Maybe you can with Astro too. But I haven't looked into that)

Speedview
(GPS thing that show the speed, just installed. Not tested)

Speedhud
(Same as above. One of these had something the other did not have. Will test some time in the future. Hud in the name is that it projects the speed to you windshield. Not tested)

K-9 Mail
(The X10 Mini Pro has only one email account in addition to Gmail. This emailer is based on the internal, and you can set up several accounts and identities, very nice)

CoPilot
(The built in or what it is Google thing does not have the maps downloaded. This one does and it's good. I have downloaded nordic maps and also NY and more. Very nice. Can warn you if it is a turn ahead. But hey "warning"...I love turns as we all do with a NSX)

Apps Organizer
(Very nice thing where you can create folders with the apps you want and then have those folders on your homescreen. The Folder organizer is a addon by the same folks) With Helix thing I can have a lot more than one widget on every page

Acast
(Very nice podcast thing. I have Best of Youtube, Tekzilla, Larry King, The Phones Show and a lot of sound only podcasts too. I do not have enough time though to go through everything)

Guide to NYC
(Info on the city I will be in next month)

Convertpad
(Convert anything to anything, actually too big. But you can set it up with your favorites so I just need time to set it up)

acar
(Very nice to keep track of everything about you vehicles)

Dropbox
(Not had the use for it yet)

SMS Backup+
(Very nice application that backs up your sms'es to you gmail account. Put them in a "folder" there. Very nice)

Zedge
(Downloaded some great ringtones and wallpapers. But my wallpaper will always be Jim Profit

Handcent
(I really recommend this. When you have it all set up it is lovely. But you will use some time to set it up)

HTC type clock with weather
(Got pulled from Android market as the clock looked like the HTC clock. But I got it. I would think that you can get the weather for any place with it)

TuneIn radio
(You can listen to every radio out there. Podcasts too. Used it a little bit)

Nimbuzz
(I use this on my E75 too. Very nice. I use MSN and Facebook and this will give you the ability to chat with those online. You can also call via ip with this. Will use it when I'm in the US to call home via wifi at a low price)

Astrid
(Great todo list. Create a account at remeberthemilk and you get all synced up. You can even send email to [email protected] and get that todo into your phone when you sync it the next time. Very nice)

Bluetooth File Transfer
(Not looked into this in detail. I would like to be able to transfer Vcards from my E75 to the X10. But I have not succeded. Will look into this some time in the future)

LogMeIn
(Screen on the X10 Mini is too small to be usefull to remote control pc's. But it works. I use Teamviewer on all of my pc's. I do not have the need to remote control them from the phone)

Phoneusage
(Can set limits. It is supposed to keep track of use. But it not working here. I will probably just kick it rather than fiddling with it to get it to work)

Advanced Task Killer
(I use it to kill some applications. However there is no need to kill applications in Android. But I kill some that I do not want to go online if online outside my wifi)

Currency
(Will update values when you open the application and is online somehow)

Yellow pages (norwegian thing)
(Very nice application)

Here I am 2
(Powers up the gps and get your position. You can send it as a sms or email. Creates a google map link to where you are now. Could be usefull for other things than just cool)

GPS Status
(Get you position and speed. Never used it. And it will be kicked)

Ican File Browser
(Not sure why I have it. But a Astro thing), will probably be deleted soon)

LED Light
(Use your light on your phone as a flashlight. Nice)

Mini Info
(Shows statistics of drives and processor use. Other things does not show the internal c:. But this one does in addition to other things)

My Backup Pro
(Takes a backup of installed applications, contacts, call log, bookmarks, sms, mms, system settings, android home, alarms, dictionary, calender, music playlists, Note Everything and Apps Organizer to you sdcard

My Settings
(Not used at all. But gives you shortcuts to things. Will probably uninstall it soon)

Netcounter
(The one I actually use. See how much data is beeing transferred on wifi and other)

NYCEvents
(Events in NYC)

NYCMate

Phonalyzr

Profiles
(Very nice. Recommended. For those which knows profiles from Nokia and other phones (not you with non jailbroken Iphone) know why different profiles are good to have. Very nice. I have shortcuts on the homescreen to different profiles. Would have been nice to have it change profiles on set time. I will send a wish list to the owner about that)

Realcalc
(It is a RPN calc and I got to have a RPN calculator)

Remote notifier
(Have not looked at this. But a review can be found here. Looks interesting don't know if I have the need for it though

SilentCam
(Turn of the click sound of your camera. I guess you could turn your phone to silent and then use your camera. But with this you do not need to do that. Pictures are saved in the Silentcam directory so be aware of that)

Smooth Calender
(very nice. Will show your next events. I think max three)

Tapatalk (Pro)
(Very nice forum tool. I can access Prime with it. You need the pro version to post/log in though. The forum you try to access needs to be Tapatalk ready and Prime is)

Wapedia
(Well you all know what this is)

Where's My Droid
(It's been talked about in this thread before. Not only can you send a sms to it and make it ring on max volume. But you can send a sms to your phone and turn on gps and have the coordinates sent back to you)

Where's The Subway
(Will use the gps and tell you where the nearest subway station is in NYC. Will come in handy when I go there)

Wifi File Explorer Pro
(Very nice thing. It's not as good as SymNAS which I have on the E75. But okey)

Wifi Onoff
(Very nice thing I have on my home screen so I can turn on and off wifi)

KeePassDroid
(Not looked at yet. I have used Handy Safe on the E75. KeePassDroid is not as good. But maybe okey.

My tracks
(Not Sportstracker but okey I guess. Used one time.

Ruler green
(Gives me a ruler..silly. Never needed it. But I got it)

Thinking Space
It is a mindmap program. I use Projekt on the Nokia E75 and it is very good. I made this with it I love Mindmaps. I have used MM/LX on my HP200LX and was a betatester for it too.

Thinking space will never be a substitute. The screen is too small. But I guess I need to work some more with it to see if it is usefull. Projekt is nice. MM/LX is the mother of my Mindmap obsession.

Well that is my "little" review of things.

Regards

Hi

Forgot two

NYCMate
(Is a zoomable picture of the subways in NYC)

Phonalyzr
(Give some statistics of sms, calls and stuff)

Regards

can you make phone calls via wifi on google voice?

Now you can. I used it for the 1st time this wknd from my laptop. It works wonderfully. The person on the other line had no idea I was calling from my pc completely bypassing my cellphone. It's quite seamless. I've been on the Google Voice free service now for almost 3 months. It's not perfect (can't MMS, amongst other things...) but with the integration of VoIP it makes it all worth it. F* I'm such a google whore... they are evil but I don't need to be saved just quite yet!

BTW: Who out there has used a [0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, horsepower, etc] app on their Android? I know the iPhone has a popular one (forget the name) but looking for one on the Android. Also looking for a camera plugin app that will show the mph while filming. I do a lot of filming with my Nexus on the windshield mount and it sure would be nice to know the speed i'm moving.

BTW: Who out there has used a [0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, horsepower, etc] app on their Android? I know the iPhone has a popular one (forget the name) but looking for one on the Android. Also looking for a camera plugin app that will show the mph while filming. I do a lot of filming with my Nexus on the windshield mount and it sure would be nice to know the speed i'm moving.

Hi

I had a look at Speedhud. It does not do everything you want. But there is a G acc thing. May do some of the things you want. You find it on Android Market.

Regards

Nice list. KeePassDroid is the best password app, imho, because it works with the desktop version of Keepass (Keepass.info) applications. All are open source and free.

Hi

Okey it does. Very nice. The thing I have now on the E75 has a client on the pc so it is easy to sync/update/add. This means that I can cut and paste thing into this application and have it on the X10. Very nice.

Would make it a lot easier to get info from E75 to the X10. If I only could find a application that imports the csv export from Best Jotter on my E75 to something similar on the X10.

The note thing I write about above is similiar. I can import things from Google docs. But then I have to cut and paste things from Best Jotter then into a google docs and then import it to the application on the X10. That will not happen. Too much work.

Edit: Thanks for the compliment of the list. It is huge I know. But I point friends with X10 to the post so I do not have to talk about all the things I have installed. :)

Regards

Last edited:
I've got a USB connection in my Honda Fit. I've tried to run Pandora through my Evo and out the micro-usb cord to the car but it doesn't work that way. Is there an app out there that will allow me to do this?

I've got a USB connection in my Honda Fit. I've tried to run Pandora through my Evo and out the micro-usb cord to the car but it doesn't work that way. Is there an app out there that will allow me to do this?

I wonder now if that might be possible. You would have to make USB Mass storage mode stream audio. So there would have to be a delay for the phone to convert the audio into an MP3 file though the Fit probably couldn't read it until the MP3 file is completed. And the phone would have to know how to split the files up.

Best thing to do is install an aux input jack or a device that will let you stream bluetooth audio...

Matt - I use Malibu's method of simply using an 1/8" audio aux jack into an input in my car. The problem i've had since the Froyo update is that Pandora streams at a god awful low bitrate now. It literally sounds like i'm listening to AM radio. I'm not sure if this is isolated to the Nexus One or if this is on other devices like the Evo also.

The bitrate was higher before the Froyo update.

Thanks guys

I do have an aux in on the Fit also. I just didn't have that cord. I'll let you know if it sounds like crap with the Evo with Froyo. Of course, I don't know what it sounded like before Froyo.

The comments about battery life was exactly what scared me away from the Evo... and after over 10 years with Sprint I made my way over to the ATT store 2 weeks ago and picked up some iPhones for me and my wife.

Having become accustomed to carrying around an iPod Touch in addition to my Sprint phone, being able to consolidate into a single device has been nice.

That being said my wife who was reluctant to switch in the first place has not been thrilled with her ATT experience. She has missed a number of calls where there has been no "missed call" indication nor any "new voicemail" warning. The voicemails only appeared on her iPhone over 2 hours after they were left... and the phone was sitting by the window with 3-4 bars the ENTIRE day.

And the fragility of the iPhone4 may be a problem as I've never been kind to my phones. I typically drop my phones at least once a month onto the parking lot, family room wood floor, or operating room floor usually resulting in my previous phone's caseback flying one direction and battery flying another. Miraculously other than a few scrapes and dents I've never killed a phone this way... Already 3 of my colleagues have shattered their iPhone4's screens with much less force so I am constantly worrying about mine.

So if my wife's situation doesn't turn around I may be trekking back to Sprint... In anticipation of this I have a few questions for you guys...

How much bulkier is the extended battery for the Evo? Any pics of the battery and new caseback installed? The Evo was already quite hefty, can one still carry it in a shirt pocket with the aftermarket battery?

What has been the real world experience with the Samsung Epic? Another colleague of mine has confessed that his new Epic's battery went flat after only 40 minutes of talk and light app use... Yikes! This sounds even worse than the Evo!

Last edited:
The problem i've had since the Froyo update is that Pandora streams at a god awful low bitrate now. It literally sounds like i'm listening to AM radio. I'm not sure if this is isolated to the Nexus One or if this is on other devices like the Evo also.

The EVO guys have fixed it, at least for people running custom ROMs.
Pandora sounds perfect for me. Running EVO with 2.2 'Fresh' ROM.
Are you rooted? If so, there's probably an update from the people who made your ROM.

How much bulkier is the extended battery for the Evo? Any pics of the battery and new caseback installed? The Evo was already quite hefty, can one still carry it in a shirt pocket with the aftermarket battery?

The 3500mAh battery adds some bulk....
I would say definitely 'no' to putting it in a shirt pocket.
Personally, I love the device. But size is a factor...
With the 3500mAh battery, the battery is no longer an issue at all. It can run 3 days without a charge.

A few pics here:
http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/bacy35hev4-bk.htm

Launcher Pro Plus (Necessary imo)
SwitchPro (toggle settings, includes flashlight toggle)
Google Voice
Fancy Widget (HTC-like clock)
Pandora
Smart Keyboard Pro (the best keyboard out there hands down)

Those are the apps that I can't really live without.

I'm on a DroidX with froyo.

The problem i've had since the Froyo update is that Pandora streams at a god awful low bitrate now. It literally sounds like i'm listening to AM radio. I'm not sure if this is isolated to the Nexus One or if this is on other devices like the Evo also.

The bitrate was higher before the Froyo update.

I loved Pandora but had the same problem. I started using slacker again or my siriusxm app.

Back