• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Android Apps?

I just got the HTC EVO 4G. (the phone without the duct tape :wink:) I'm looking through the app store. What are some cool apps that you guys are using?

Liquor Run, SiriusXM, Directv, ATM finder, Urbanspoon, Trapster

TAPATALK, craigsphone,ebay,colorflash, PAPER TOSS,shazam, Facebook,Scannerbuddy, Urbanspoon, tv.com, texas holdem, zillow, state plate game, teeter, F1 racing, barcode scanner, battery indicator, coupons, fring, colornote
The stuff in bold is really cool and helpful.:smile:

Where do you find these apps?
My phone won't let me install any apps not approved by the marketplace

My won't either. I tried looking for the SchottGun app that was first suggested, but can't find it.

My additions to the list are: Sportstap, Live Scores, RN Dining, Google Sky Map, Tipper.

Just got my hands on a samsung captivate / galaxy s phone. Using it right now. The app i use most is advanced task killer.

Most of the Apps mentioned above can be found in the Android Market.

Check out : Google Goggles - Flixter Movies - Tapatalk Forum App - TV.com - Google Sky Map - Google Earth - Pandora Radio - The Weather Channel - Barcode Scanner

How come no one has mentioned the "Flashlight"

I also have "Zillow" for checking real estate prices in my area "WHERE" which is a good overall search feature for finding gas prices, movies, and restaurants in your local area.

"Radio Scanner" is also fun for listening to police and fire scanners all around the country.

The one I use everyday is "Mr Number Caller ID" If a person is calling and I do not have them in my phone book, it will tell me who is calling (80+ percent accurate) This prevents me from picking up for tele-marketers.

Fring is good for video Conferencing.

Have had my Evo 4g for 2 days, and all I can say is OMG the battery is god awful on these things..... I think it may be a deal breaker for me and a switch to the iPhone 4. :mad:

Have had my Evo 4g for 2 days, and all I can say is OMG the battery is god awful on these things..... I think it may be a deal breaker for me and a switch to the iPhone 4. :mad:

With the advanced app killer and keeping the screen light about 25% most of the time, I can make it about 75% of the day with out a charger using it for phone calls and the internet.

I also got an extra battery that I carry around so I am never worried.

With the advanced app killer and keeping the screen light about 25% most of the time, I can make it about 75% of the day with out a charger using it for phone calls and the internet.

I also got an extra battery that I carry around so I am never worried.

Anyone use one of the solar chargers? I can charge it on the dash board at work as it's always sunny where we go during the day (once you climb up through the clouds). :tongue:

Also, I read on an HTC forum that you have to condition the battery by charging to full (green) while the phone is ON, then turn it OFF and charge it back to full (green) and then repeat until the ON/OFF charges are with in 30 secs. Trying it now. Also they HIGHLY recommend turning off the google talk auto sign-in.

Also.....

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

Last edited:
So far the apps I have to have are as follows:

LauncherPro - A must have for organizing your screens
App Protector Pro - For adding password/pattern lockout for any app. This is important for me because I don't want anyone who might play with my phone to get into Facebook, Mail, etc.
Google Voice - I love Google voice, this enables you to call using your voice number easily and also receive free text messages over data. Use this in combination with one of the callback apps and never use your minutes if you have an A List/Favorite5 feature. Also get your voicemail visually and transcribed.
APNdroid - To turn on and off your 3g for both battery life and data using protection. Use with 3G Watchdog to automatically kill your data connection if you exceed your bandwith quota
Battery Indicator - For a more accurate battery status
Astro File manager - for loading apps downloaded from outside of the marketplace
Where's My Droid - In case you misplaced the phone around the house, send a text message with a preconfigured string to make your Android phone sound the alert to help you find it.

Last edited:

Wow! There's a great endorsement if I ever heard one.

Wow! There's a great endorsement if I ever heard one.

It really is ridiculous having to charge a phone more than once just to get through the day! I think the only real solution to the EVO is getting the 3500mh extra large battery. But at least unlike the iPhone you can change the battery. :)

It really is ridiculous having to charge a phone more than once just to get through the day! I think the only real solution to the EVO is getting the 3500mh extra large battery. But at least unlike the iPhone you can change the battery. :)

I forgot to add my flashlight app and robo-defense.

I bought the battery below and i have no complaints whatsoever. I liked the fact that you can keep the factory battery door, so far its been getting me a 1.5 days(the really depends on usage). About the same as my BB curve i had. It took 2 full charges to see a difference.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MUGEN-1800mAh-E...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item45f41151d0

Last edited:

My iPhone 4 typically lasts a day and a half on a full charge. And that is with the screen at near full brightness and a lot of use.

Carrying a spare battery around seems pretty lame to me. And I do appreciate the solid design and compact size that would be compromised by a removable battery.

Oh, I got my free bumper case and it's nice. I noticed a minor improvement in the number of bars in certain locations but since I never dropped a call anyway, it's a moot point. It is nice to get the added protection against a dropped phone though. I probably would have purchased one for protection anyway, so I just saved $30.

Back