• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

any Reefers here?

a few years ago my friend got me heavily into salt water.

little did i know, it was a money pit. the amount of money i spent that went into this tank almost equate to a nice car. some of you guys have that go fast crack pipe. with coral it was the same thing. every weekend was a $300 shopping spree. it was christmas all year round. it was a very fun and rewarding hobby the while being, but the NSX was way cheaper.

here was my beginner tank.
DSC05169.JPG

Erick,
Nice tank! I'm too into reefs, I currently broke down my 125g and just bought a 180g glass visio tank, I have all the equipment but no time to set up. I'm also in the process of building a media room and thinking of putting a nice tank there, but since it is a media room it may not be ideal. What type of filtration are you running and what type of lighting? MH, PC?

Paul

When I moved to Florida I thought I ought to have a salt tank. Little did I know...

First it was just salt water & some crushed coral. Then it was live rock which needed better filters and stronger lights followed by yet better filters and more live rock and so on and so on.

In the end, it was too much work filtering 5 gallon buckets of water and then mixing salt for water changes and I got rid of it. All my aquariums now are small and easy. :)

edit: oh yeah, very nice reef you got there!

hi paul,
my tank is pretty basic.its a 60G 48" wide. single 20k metal halide. 2 blue actinics. single overflowbox. sock filter. red sea skimmer. 30g sump. no fuge though. 1/8hp chiller if i remember correctly

i've got some fishies and other inverts, but the nemo is the only badass in the tank. all the other guys got spooked from the flash.
i had some firefish, purple firefish, diamond back goby, 1 fat blenny, a blue and a pink damsels, many chromis, scotts fairy wrasse, emerald crabs, pompom crab, 2 mated fire shrimps, 2 mated cleaner shrimps, feather duster and a bunch of other guys.

my tank mostly consisted of softies and some LPS coral.
a lot of zoathids and some pulsing xenias.
i wish i had more room to add in a calc reactor so i could start getting into SPS but i have this tank set up on my wet bar and it simply did not allow much more room for parts.

im planning, or atleast hope to have some party cash to start up a new tank downstairs by the end of summer. im going to try and shoot for a 240 or 280G. its gunna be a marriage :eek:

reefing is a serious hobby. you really gotta bust ass if you want a good looking setup. it's basically playing god and mother nature. you're pretty much responsible for running an entire eco system. one tiny mistake and there goes you're entire life's hard work.
tons of books and magazines, lot's of reading, research, marine biology and oceanography all helped me learn and understand the science of life and evolution. reef hobby is just more than just having a pretty tank. you learn a lot of things and it shows, and people easily notice it.

gotta have lots of respect for reefers. especially guys than have anything bigger than a 60G.

show your pics!

heres some more. hope you have a big computer screen. ENJOY!
P0002583.jpg

P0002574.jpg

P0002576.jpg

P0002577.jpg

P0002579.jpg

P0002580.jpg

P0002582.jpg

DSC09947.JPG

DSC09946.JPG

DSC099477.jpg

DSC05031.JPG

DSC05110.JPG

DSC05144.JPG

wow, erick!!!:eek: that's awesome!!!

is that why you sold me your Volks:confused: :wink: :biggrin:

btw, i found Nemo

What do you do if you sell your house and have to move? How do you move all that stuff and not kill it?

DAMN MAN NICE REEF!! :eek:
Makes my lone goldfish in a bowl look down right homeless! :biggrin:

comquat1 said:
What do you do if you sell your house and have to move? How do you move all that stuff and not kill it?

You just pretty much hope you don't have to move. I used to have a reef too but when i moved it was a pain in the butt, so i just gave all the stuff away. BTW nice tank, i heard of some ppl who drop $10k dollars on custom reef tanks.

I moved and thankfully all was fine, full day to move the tank, the Regal tang gave me a nasty cut on my finger when I tried to catch her.

Very nice pictures, wish I could get on top of the algae in mine :)

simonprelude said:
I moved and thankfully all was fine, full day to move the tank, the Regal tang gave me a nasty cut on my finger when I tried to catch her.

Very nice pictures, wish I could get on top of the algae in mine :)

Nice. But with my old 120gal i didnt even want to try. Now Im working on a 22 gallon nano cube reef. For algae i always use a lawn mower blenny, hermits, and some snails.

Might try that, better than any chemical involvement, have plenty of hermits already.

I only had to move a 45 gallon tank so not too bad.

ADNOH said:
Nice. But with my old 120gal i didnt even want to try. Now Im working on a 22 gallon nano cube reef. For algae i always use a lawn mower blenny, hermits, and some snails.

:biggrin: great setup,
I have a 75gal reef/fish, but Katrina claimed most of my corals and fish so I'm having to start again. Not from scratch, but almost. I currently have some invertes, some pollops, featherdusters, green grass, clam, banded shrimp, flame angel, koran angel, nemo, blue damsel, horseshoe crab, manderin, yellow tang
using 2 vho blue atenics, 2 14k pwr compact and 2 blue atenic pwr compact.
Im having a little trouble with brown algae, working on getting my light timing right.

Where does everyone get their corals and fish? I used to go to a place here locally, but its gone now, so I have been ordering from www.saltwaterfish.com . Good prices and so far, great stuff.

Last edited:
NSXrunner said:
DAMN MAN NICE REEF!! :eek:
Makes my lone goldfish in a bowl look down right homeless! :biggrin:

:tongue: LOL.... that was funny :tongue:

At first glance, I wondered just what this thread was about..... :biggrin:
Wow, your reef is absolutely gorgeous! Did you design this yourself ? If so, you should submit it to a couple aquarium magazines. IT's a Beaut!
A friend of mine does this for a living. http://www.livingcolor.com/res_aqu_gallery.cfm
I was amazed at the amount of time, prep, and all intricate details it entails. And, of course, the $$$. The corals you have are very rare and in perfect shape. WOW! Reminds me of "home" :wink:
....Has your relaxation level decreased by 90% ?
Man_sunbathes.gif
Enjoy*

SNDSOUL said:
:I currently have some invertes, ....... horseshoe crab,

Where does everyone get their corals and fish? I used to go to a place here locally, but its gone now, so I have been ordering from www.saltwaterfish.com . Good prices and so far, great stuff.

I wouldnt want to keep that horseshoe crab for long as they grow big. For corals and fish i go to he local fish store. if you dont have one then use liveaquaria.com great site, great selection, and great info.

Last edited:
:redface: Thanks, just some experimental shots with a new camera, 30th Birthday in Monaco and all that.

MiamiMermaid said:
SimonPrelude: These are gorgeous photos. Very nice photography!

Back