• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any shop Recommendations for Timing Belt/Water Pump Job in Chicago?

I dropped my car off this Saturday at Acura of Brookfield for TB / WP and whatever else John Vasos thinks it may need. It was an honor to meet a person I have heard and read so many positive stories about. John made certain I met the mechanics who would be working on my car and gave me a tour of the shop.

Obviously this place is not in chicago but I expect it to be well worth the distance I travelled.

John is remarkable. I met him on a visit to Brookfield and just asked a few questions. He had recommendations even though he wasn't going to be the beneficiary of my business right then, and spent time with me on the phone as well. A gentleman first, and an expert as well. Though he's 400 miles away, if I had a need, he'd be one of those on my #1 list.
Warm regards,
Don

I dropped my car off this Saturday at Acura of Brookfield for TB / WP and whatever else John Vasos thinks it may need. It was an honor to meet a person I have heard and read so many positive stories about. John made certain I met the mechanics who would be working on my car and gave me a tour of the shop.

Obviously this place is not in chicago but I expect it to be well worth the distance I travelled.
That must have been the yellow I saw on the alignment rack yesterday. :smile:

I'm echo the praise for John and Acura of Brookfield, John was nice enough hang out and talk to me for awhile about NSX's, what to look for, what to say away from, etc. even though I wasn't spending any money there (at this point).

I need to get my TB/WP service, plus I want to get my Fuji headers and HFCs installed. I'm coming from Springfield, IL and will have to travel no matter what. So, it looks like Ted at Woodfield or John at Brookfield are the way to go. Any preferences, especially that I want some aftermarket parts installed as well.

Kenny

Btw, another shop I frequent often completed a timing belt/water pump and also a clutch a few weeks ago. I believe the car is a 91 NSX, but the owner isn't active on Prime. Their mechanic is PHENOMENAL. Give them a call if you guys are looking for a smaller shop/independent mechanic, and don't want to pay dealer prices. If you want to speak to the mechanic, his name is Eli.

Project X Customs
645 Morse Avenue Schaumburg, IL 60193
(224) 653-8851

Btw, another shop I frequent often completed a timing belt/water pump and also a clutch a few weeks ago. I believe the car is a 91 NSX, but the owner isn't active on Prime. Their mechanic is PHENOMENAL. Give them a call if you guys are looking for a smaller shop/independent mechanic, and don't want to pay dealer prices. If you want to speak to the mechanic, his name is Eli.

Project X Customs
645 Morse Avenue Schaumburg, IL 60193
(224) 653-8851

I became the proud new owner of a Black/Ivory 91 this past week (been shopping for a long time)...dropped of at Mullers this evening for TB/WP service and spotted an Imola/Imola NA2 :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Just wanted to share my experience with Muller's Woodfield Acura. I scheduled my appointment several weeks in advance, specifying all of the work to be done. I specifically mentioned it was an NSX and that I want Ted to work on it. I think Ted is the only one they let work on NSXs anyway, but I just wanted to clarify this request. This information was clarified on two phone calls to remind me of my scheduled appointment, one the day immediately prior to my appointment.

After my 3.5 hour drive to the dealership, I discover that they made my appointment during Ted's vacation, which they should have known about when I made my appointment, never mind the reminder call the day before. Luckily, it was the last day of his vacation and he was in the next day. Day 2 Ted looks over the car and calls me to go over the maintenance plan. I give the go ahead and he the proceeds to tell me that he will start the next day, as they have to order the parts. Never mind that I scheduled this exact work to be done several weeks prior, as well as the day before when they had the car in their possession. The work ended up spanning over a day and thus the weekend. A one day job turned in to a 6 day ordeal.

On the bright side, Ted was great to work with. He called several times to discuss the maintenance plan and to give updates.

Teds gets a thumbs up, but the organization of the service department leaves much to be desired.

In 7 years, I might drive a little farther to Brookfield. There has to be a reason people from Chicago bypass Muller's to go to Brookfield.

Kenny

Last edited:
Sorry they messed up the planning part of the job. This is NOT typical; that has never happened to me, in 21 years of Ted working on my NSX.

There has to be a reason people from Chicago bypass Muller's to go to Brookfield.
Most people don't; only a few do. There are indeed a few advantages for Brookfield. Brookfield has more experience with aftermarket modifications, particularly forced induction setups, as well as with track setups. And John Vasos, their service director, is great to work with. If I needed work on an NSX supercharger, that's where I'd go.

But for routine maintenance as well as for troubleshooting problems on stock systems, Ted definitely gets the nod in my book. And if they misplanned it so that it takes him an extra few days, that's no big deal to me. I'd rather have the best tech working on my car, and that's Ted. (I also would rather not drive the extra 360 miles in the two round trips to drop off and pick up my car.)

I was very pleased with Ted's work and his communication. After reading this thread, I choose Muller's because everyone in favor of Muller's was talking up their tech, while everyone in favor of Brookfield was talking up their service director. To me this is no contest. Tech over service director anytime.

If I lived in Chicago, the planning issues would not have been that big of a deal. I assumed it would have been a one or two day job, so I would only have to make the trip once and would have spent the day in Chicago. Instead, I had to make the trip twice, including one at four in the morning so that I could get the car to them first thing in the morning to be able to do the job in one day.

If I go back to Muller's, is their a particular service coordinator that I should ask for to avoid any of these planning headaches? Odds are I'll go back as Ted was great to work with and having the right tech is most important.

Last edited:
If I go back to Muller's, is their a particular service coordinator that I should ask for to avoid any of these planning headaches? Odds are I'll go back as Ted was great to work with and having the right tech is most important.
I set up appointments with any of them. I've never had a mishap, although when making an NSX appointment, I do specifically ask whether or not Ted is on vacation.

For the TB/WP, I paid $1428.37 before taxes, although I provided my own timing belt, so you would have to add the cost of that belt.
It lists for $189.

Charged me ~$1900 for TB/WP including parts...this is interesting.

My price above was purely for the TB/WP part of my service. The oil change and numerous other services that I had done are not included in that price.

Also price listed was with my own timing belt and pre tax.

Last edited:
Kim or Mark seem to be the people to deal with.
Mark is the service manager. He would be the person to deal with if you experience any problems or concerns. But he's not the person to call if you're scheduling the work or getting checked in.

I've dealt with pretty much all their service writers, including Kim, Ray, John, and Mike, and they've all been good to deal with.

Back