• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone interested in 1000+HP complete NSX transmission gearset?

Hi
i am ordering streightened NSX gearset from australian company PPG.
PPG is a world leader of the dog engaged and synco based upgraded gearsets.
The kit will include final gear,forks and all gears.

Most probably i will order two different gearsets, one is syncro-less streight cut 4 speed for drag racing purpose and maximum gears streight and another is 5speed syncro based helical for street/strip application.

price level is around 10k USD and depends on how many kits i will order.
gear ratios including final gear could be custom ordered.

PM me if anyone interested.
thanks
Ivan

Good luck with that....let us know how it works out for you.

price level is around 10k USD and depends on how many kits i will order.
gear ratios including final gear could be custom ordered.

was is rated for 1200awhp or 1200 crank hp theres alot of drivetrain loss and what about TQ

Is that bad?

Yes, that's bad. Assuming that was on a dyno, that's really bad.
In other words, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to make transmissions hold gobs of horsepower under serious amounts of horsepower, and just about impossible if you are to drag. Just ask FXMD, they belw through dozens before doing WPC + other tricks and eventially find a way to extend the life out of them :)

Ouch....what a 10 grand bummer that had to be.

We recently fitted a PPG gearset into a 1000 AWHP GTR they said it would handle 1200HP, lasted a day!

we just cancelled the 2nd order we had.

going Hollinger.

well, we had different experience. 1000+HP Evo`s are running PPG gearsets well at drag racing here. We also tested it with 1300HP supra and some high powered GTR`s as well. It is very dependant on tuning and installation. Most of the problems with clutchless transmissions happens while changing gears, definetly you need ECU support to remove torque from the driveline while changing gears to make it smoother and avoid impacts. Carbon clutches also helps a lot. You can always brake everything....

You could not replace complete NSX transmission to Holinger of some other, there are just no such universal streightened gearboxes on the market that will fit. Replacing gearset is the only option to improve its streight. And PPG is making one of the best quality gearsets, we tried really many of them.

For 10 grand, I would be very hard pressed to even try one.

well, we had different experience. 1000+HP Evo`s are running PPG gearsets well at drag racing here. We also tested it with 1300HP supra and some high powered GTR`s as well. It is very dependant on tuning and installation. Most of the problems with clutchless transmissions happens while changing gears, definetly you need ECU support to remove torque from the driveline while changing gears to make it smoother and avoid impacts. Carbon clutches also helps a lot. You can always brake everything....

You could not replace complete NSX transmission to Holinger of some other, there are just no such universal streightened gearboxes on the market that will fit. Replacing gearset is the only option to improve its streight. And PPG is making one of the best quality gearsets, we tried really many of them.
How do carbon clutches help?

more heat more friction. first they slightly spin and then hold, this gives less impact.

Yes, i concur.

Have you tried Modena Engineering. They have custom made a Dog straight cut gearbox for the NSX. they modify the whole gearbox & case to allow for a larger diff & final drive. they also made various final drive ratios.

wasn't cheap though.

I'm not saying PPG are crap, just that we had one blow up when we were under the HP they rated it for. You don't buy them to go slow to the shops.

A R32 GTR we built for a Customer. with OS Giken 3 litre engine.

Gearbox was fine for the Run in & dyno tuning & some scary road testing.

first day at Powercruise blew to bits after 3 runs.

Hold on fella, what where you doing at Powercruise hmmmm? I know what goes on there! Ha ha! :biggrin:
Never the less, its still an expensive exercise that you wouldn't expect when you've thrown that much cash at it.
Also, FYI; I heard a rumour that the V8 Supercars are swapping gearbox manufacturers soon so there should be some cheap (relatively speaking) sequential 6-speeders rattling around in the near future.

more heat more friction. first they slightly spin and then hold, this gives less impact.
I agree that carbon clutches have less Mu at lower temperatures and higher Mu at higher temperatures (to a point). So you're saying that carbon clutches help reduce the impact of a no-lift-shift because they slip slightly, thus minimizing the impact of the gear change?

What about when the clutch is hot and their is no slip?

Yes, that's bad. Assuming that was on a dyno, that's really bad.
In other words, it's REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to make transmissions hold gobs of horsepower under serious amounts of horsepower, and just about impossible if you are to drag. Just ask FXMD, they belw through dozens before doing WPC + other tricks and eventially find a way to extend the life out of them :)
More info on what we do to our transmissions can be found here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124424

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118176&highlight=deburr+gears

Contact me if you have any questions about the process or if interested in one of these transmissions.

Billy

Last edited:
Back