• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know where i can convert to targa top?

have a 91 nsx im thinking about converting to targa top, has anyone done this? any leak issues? im in west orange new jersey,any places close to here that can do this fo me? thanks.:smile:

I have a 92 that was converted to targa. It fits perfect and no leaking issues unless I'm powerwashing around the windows. I bought the car with the conversion but it was clearly done correctly and used correct parts. I am guess if you can find a good reputable bodyshop near you they can also retrofit a stock targa to fit on your car. I can send pics of mine to you in a few days, but its at the shop right now having the bumper repainted. I can't give much advice how to do it, but I know it can be done and done correctly with the right body shop. :biggrin:

I suggest not doing this. the cars structural integridy will be compromised

and the coupe's used thiner metal for the frame,

the T-tops used thicker metal and they are heavier

dumb move I think

What a great idea! You should definitely do this...

From an economic perspective, you'll definitely be doing your part to stimulate the economy. Imagine all of the jobs you'll help create when:

1) You tear down the car
2) Buy more Aluminum to strengthen then chassis
3) Repaint / Reassemble the car

And when you realize the car is no longer as good as it was originally, you will then create more jobs:

1) Get the insurance company to declare it salvaged
2) Strip the car for parts
3) Scrap the remaining pieces

:biggrin:

I know many of you hate on the conversion and yes I am new to the NSX scene but I do believe my NSX has been converted correctly. I am not racing or taking my car on a track so the performance issue is not a problem for me. Plus I WANT a targa top but couldnt afford a newer one... I will post pictures of my car and how clean the conversion looks once I get a chance. I have some mechanical background and am smart enough to tell that this was not a backyard chop job, Im sure who had this done did not try to save any pennies when doing the conversion. I guess you guys may see it one way, but it can be done right.

The quality of the conversion as far as fit and finish may not be an issue. The real issue is that there is no additional bracing added to the frame and chassis of the car. Honda added a considerable amount of additional bracing throughout the entire car to stiffen it more and keep it from flexing. The expense to do this properly would be astronomical and no conversion would equal a factory built NSX-T. I'm sure you know this and accept the fact but come time to sell, many will know the car's rigidity was compromised and a lot more flex in the body will be evident compared to an original NSX-T.

I completely agree, but this flex is not really a factor to me as I am a very conservative driver. I purchased the car for the main fact that it is an NSX (and the prive was right) and do not plan on selling it unless I somehow come across enough money to buy an 02+.

hit a big pot hole and then WOW my targa top just doesnt fit now and then you will wonder why your seats dont move anymore as they will be the only thing preventing your car from Folding?

the car will BEND right in the middle.

wanna try it out get to heavyset guys to jump up and down on both side of the cabin footwell .and watch the car bend.

so your targa will be a true garage queen as it wont be safe to drive on the roads.

but like you said if you drive your car like and old women then its should be fine.

wheres the OP he hasnt chimed in yet?

woa!:eek: glad i asked 1st. u guys here really know your stuff. i think that would be the best bet then to just sell and get 02 or something. thanks. thanks for the input and i will say "u better have thick skin'' b4 you post because it gets tough on here. thanks again. check me on youtube "real slick 147"

i think that would be the best bet then to just sell and get 02 or something.
Just be aware that if you're going to buy an NSX-T - that's what the open-roof version is called, "Targa" is a trademark of Porsche - the prices are higher for the slightly restyled '02-05 than for the '97-01, and higher for both than the '95-96 due to the horsepower, tranny, and other improvements starting in '97. If you're only looking for the open top of the NSX-T and you don't want to pay a lot more, the '95-96 may be what you want. If you're willing to pay more for the other changes, then a newer model may be a better choice.

hit a big pot hole and then WOW my targa top just doesnt fit now and then you will wonder why your seats dont move anymore as they will be the only thing preventing your car from Folding?

the car will BEND right in the middle.

wanna try it out get to heavyset guys to jump up and down on both side of the cabin footwell .and watch the car bend.

so your targa will be a true garage queen as it wont be safe to drive on the roads.

but like you said if you drive your car like and old women then its should be fine.

wheres the OP he hasnt chimed in yet?

I am willing to bet Acura built the car stronger then that. The previous owner had the car for atleast 8 years since it was converted to targa and it is showing no signs of distortion or bending. I know Acura beefed up the chasis on the Targas but Im willing to bet it was more for reassurance then a completely needed necessity. The car is not made of tinfoil and there is still strength in the doors and underbody to where a slight pothole isnt going to make the car salvage. I appreciate and accept everyones opinions and if there is a converted targa out there that has bent I will gladly eat my words and admit my fault on the subject, but until there is one that proves the theory that the car is not safe I will continue to enjoy my 92 NSX-T!!:biggrin:

here is a few pics of my converted car... car is super dirty and torn apart, having window motors rebuilt and there is buffing compound all over everything so accept my apologies for how bad it looks right now...

2011-03-07_11-56-48_946.jpg

2011-03-07_11-57-25_708.jpg

2011-03-07_11-58-04_95.jpg

2011-03-07_11-59-01_362.jpg

2011-03-07_11-59-11_911.jpg

2011-03-07_11-59-29_105.jpg

2011-03-07_12-01-13_608.jpg

2011-03-07_12-02-27_664.jpg

Last edited:
it looks good I will take the exact pics of my OEM targa and we can compare, some places looked like they didnt fit in your pics.

when i get home I will upload those pics

I know Acura beefed up the chasis on the Targas but Im willing to bet it was more for reassurance then a completely needed necessity.
You will lose that bet.

It may not fall apart, but it won't have the rigidity or structural integrity of a stock NSX-T. And the rigidity and structural integrity of the car is part of what gives it its amazing handling. Without it, the handling is degraded and feels "loose". That's one thing you're giving up with a chop-shop special.

You can measure the distance between the top of the windshield and the top of the roof behind the removable panel, and then jack it up on both center jacking points so that it's off the ground, and re-measure it. With the factory NSX-T, that distance won't change by more than 1/16". With poorly-engineered removable-roof cars, that distance can change by anywhere from an inch to several inches or more.

Last edited:
I am a modest guy and will admit when I am wrong so when the car does finally bend on me you guys will be the first ones I will let know so you can all point and laugh:tongue:!! The car runs and drives smooth as glass so I am not too worried about a little body movement right now. As I stated before I AM NOT RACING the car so I dont feel I have anything to worry about. But I am curious as to how well the convertible NSX conversions will handle if you guys think mine is bad!! I am not trying to defend my own car, because I was sketched out about the chop top before I actually saw/drove the car but everything seemed to check out alright. I bought the car for a very fair price, and I know your probably thinking "Its because of the backyard targa conversion" but it looks great and I can enjoy taking the top off in the summer! I actually took the car to have the targa top repainted due to some scratches and the bodyshop was amazed when I told then that this car was converted because they couldnt tell!! I bought the best NSX I could for my price range (I wont tell you what I bought it for but its halfway between $16-18k, you can figure that one out) So I feel like I did alright seeing as how flawless the body is and the money that had already been put into it (a set of staggered SSR and foose wheels, Clarion indash, custom subwoofer box, carbon fiber interior, Remus exhaust, full lip kit, HID conversion) So I will continue to drive the car and keep you guys posted as to how it is holding up.

NSXTASY let me know if you guys ever do a meet in the Chicago area, Im in Des Moines and would make a trip out there, then you guys can critique/hate/bash/praise me on my purchase.

Last edited:
we are not ripping on your car we are saying the coupe converted to a T just isnt as strong as a Factory T.

and the bottom line is your happy with the NSX you have and F- everyone else. LOL

here is a few pics of my converted car... car is super dirty and torn apart, having window motors rebuilt and there is buffing compound all over everything so accept my apologies for how bad it looks right now...

2011-03-07_11-56-48_946.jpg

2011-03-07_11-57-25_708.jpg

2011-03-07_11-58-04_95.jpg

2011-03-07_11-59-01_362.jpg

2011-03-07_11-59-11_911.jpg

2011-03-07_11-59-29_105.jpg

2011-03-07_12-01-13_608.jpg

2011-03-07_12-02-27_664.jpg

OoOoOo I kind of want to see more pictures of where you put your subwoofer. Also where is the amp?

Last edited:
I noticed that def looks good.

post some pics of the sub. how did you get it to mold into the back molding like that?

makes me want a system again. LOL then I am already deaf from all my other cars growing up. lol

Back