• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know where i can convert to targa top?

New nomination for thread of the year.

Ummmmm correction: Nomination for the most ill informed thread of the year!

Personally I can't believe this thread is still going. The OP has had a resounding bit of sense laid upon him - I mean what does it take to get the point thru that cutting the top off is a bad, wasteful, and just plaine wrong idea that will seriously degrade the value of your car!

Heeeeellllloooooo, is anyone there? Please go buy the car you want and leave the coupes alone!

Nice post Juice.
Yes, when you bend metal you are re-arranging the molecules and spreading them apart. The 90% strength retention after bending the steel back is very optimistic IMO unless you are using mild steel in your illustration. For some grades of steel such as HS LA or Ultra HSLA the loss of molecular density will be much greater than 10% rendering some useless and unrepairable. Heat can have a similar effect to some types of metal as well, that is, dispersing the molecules and irreparably weakening the material.

For this example of changing a coupe to a "T", which I don't believe is a good idea, it really is not a consideration. Removing parts at the factory seams and transferring them should not include bending them.

I should have mentioned that the bending that I am referring to is the chassis flex that the car will endure once the top is cut.

But I am probably "ill informing" again.

Ummmmm correction: Nomination for the most ill informed thread of the year!

Personally I can't believe this thread is still going. The OP has had a resounding bit of sense laid upon him - I mean what does it take to get the point thru that cutting the top off is a bad, wasteful, and just plaine wrong idea that will seriously degrade the value of your car!

Heeeeellllloooooo, is anyone there? Please go buy the car you want and leave the coupes alone!

You honestly have no idea what cynical humor is.

This is on par with the "I put big wheels on my car and it raised half an inch, what do I do" thread for shear retardation.

I feel like im loosing brain cells reading it.

...cutting the top off is a bad, wasteful, and just plain wrong idea...

For every argument, there exists a plausible reason for a man to disagree if only to prove his freewill in spite of factual evidence; it happens everyday and is known as ignorance and therein lies his bliss.

Cut away sir, and enjoy your flexible, devalued, Coupe-T NSX

Chicago area, Im in Des Moines and would make a trip out there, then you guys can critique/hate/bash/praise me on my purchase.

Hi lileasy123... Des Moines, IA isn't too far from the Big O (Omaha, NE).

There is me, Nukem (Bellevue) & 21Acres (Blair) in the area on Prime that I'm aware of.

I would think for the price you have a nice car. Enjoy the conversion.

If it ever breaks in half, you can part it out and make much more than you could selling it as a whole car :biggrin:

The guys here did bring out some good safety concerns for others considering a conversion.

If a person wants the removeable top, then purchasing a 95 - 05 NSX-T would be the way to go... designed and engineered at the factory.

I've seen a couple NSX convertables.... I can only assume those would be even worse.

- Rod

91 Red NA1 Coupe :cool:

New nomination for thread of the year.

No, I really got what you meant. I understood the tounge in cheek statement - I'm just so incensed that I wrote it another way - shouldn't have said "correction" as yours needed no correcting - bad writing on my part.

This guy is obviously misguided. And to Red Wings - yeah I know what you mean - it's his but you can look at that another way. No one keeps anything forever - so knowing that we are only stewards of an auto for a relatively short time why screw something up just because you can! :rolleyes:

Back