• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone use Blizzak WS-50s on daily driver?

It's getting time to change to winter tires on my E55 and I am looking to change from my Pirelli performance winter tires to a studless snow and ice tire. I realize I will be giving up the performance handling and will now be compelled to keep my speeds in double digits but was curious as to any insights on the snow handling aspects of the Blizzaks. I have read the reviews on Tire Rack but, as always, welcome first hand opinions from the Prime community.

RSO 34 said:
It's getting time to change to winter tires on my E55 and I am looking to change from my Pirelli performance winter tires to a studless snow and ice tire. I realize I will be giving up the performance handling and will now be compelled to keep my speeds in double digits but was curious as to any insights on the snow handling aspects of the Blizzaks. I have read the reviews on Tire Rack but, as always, welcome first hand opinions from the Prime community.

When I lived in the Northeast I always used Blizzaks. The difference in traction in the snow is incredible. Also remember that you don't want to have them on the car when the weather is warm as they will wear faster than NSX rear tires.

I've got blizzak LM22s. I'm amazed at how well they work, and how few compromises they have when compared to performance tires.

RSO 34 said:

I have used a set of Blizzak WS-50's on one of my Honda Accords for several years now and they are AWESOME in the snow!! I also had them on my '99 BMW M3. What I will warn you of (since you are putting them on an E55 AMG) is that their high speed handling is not quite as firm and planted as some of the other winter tires out there. It is one of those compromises where you can get the maximum snow and ice grip (which they have), but you must give up a little high speed stability. I remember driving in my M3 once on dry pavement at about 100 mph and the car just did not feel as planted as it could have. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions, because I have pretty much driven on every snow tire out there at some point. :)

White94 said:
I've got blizzak LM22s. I'm amazed at how well they work, and how few compromises they have when compared to performance tires.

The LM-22 tire is more for high speed use than the WS-50. If i recall, the LM-22 even has a higher speed rating.

Thanks for the input. I have used the V rated Pirellis for two seasons and although they were decent in the snow I now need dedicated snows because I will not have an old SUV to use this winter. I liked the Pirellis because they gave me the dry handling I am accustomed to with my summer Michelin SP2s but unfortunately I need to trade off the handling for assurance that I will make it through a snowy season without use of an SUV.

We use the blizzaks on my wifes TL,I still drive it like I would with summer tires,it just protests more :wink: Other than a slightly rough ride meaning more nvh,they work ok on dry tarmac.Great in the frozen stuff as well.

I've used a set of ws-50's for the past 3 winters now. Snow and ice traction is great. Put about 12-13k miles on them and it doesn't look like the tread has worn down at all from when they were new. Well worth the money. You don't worry so much about yourself slipping around in the wet stuff, just everybody else. I've seen fools up here during a minnesota winter with practically bald all-season treads, you just feel like smacking em.

RSO 34 said:

I would say, get a spare set of rims, an impact wrench, and a rolling hydraulic jack. Change into the snow tires for driving on snow, but don't take them much on dry pavement. If you're going to do mixed use, get all-season tires. Michelins have what I'd call pretty adequate snow traction in a 50-series tire. No rubber bands; those will suck in the snow. If you plan to drive in just snow, then you are gonna have to slow down no matter what anyway. But, if it's just "all-season" use like some snow which will melt anyway, then Blizzaks are probably overkill.

Back