• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyway to brighten up the instrument gauge cluster?

Are they any brighter bulbs for the obd1 instrument gauge cluster? My
cluster looks half asleep at night! :eek:

Thnx.

Henry.

You can put LED on, i think one the local NSX have blue LED on the top......i didn't look into it much since i have not of a fan on that........

I have noticed my cluster is much more dim than it used to be even when adjusting the dial all the way up. I'm interested in this as well...

so the bulb has dimmed over time:confused:
i always thought bulbs stayed the same until they blew.

It is weird. I noticed it on the way back from ALMS Laguna Seca last year. I fiddled with the dimmer during a dinner break on the way home and couldn't understand why it looked so much dimmer than before.

so the bulb has dimmed over time:confused:
i always thought bulbs stayed the same until they blew.

No, incandescent bulbs dim from the filament getting burned off over time, and at the same time, that burn-off coating the inside of the glass (the dark spot you see on the top of an old bulb). Halogen bulbs help with this because the gas 'bounces' the vaporized tungsten back onto the filament, but that also means you can't run em dimmed for a long time cause this reaction doesn't take place.

No, incandescent bulbs dim from the filament getting burned off over time, and at the same time, that burn-off coating the inside of the glass (the dark spot you see on the top of an old bulb). Halogen bulbs help with this because the gas 'bounces' the vaporized tungsten back onto the filament, but that also means you can't run em dimmed for a long time cause this reaction doesn't take place.

Good info, I was wondering how that works. I plan on replacing the bulb when I install my CF gauge bezel.

I just ordered all LED replacements. Green LED's for green blinkers, red for red indicators and so on.. Then cool white LED's for the RPM and speed. After driving 08 accord and looking at the cluster then getting in to NSX they look little dark in my opinion.

I'll post pics after I install them.

Dave

There are three bulbs that shine on the gages from the top could be that one or more burnt out.
I know I have one that is burnt out because the lighting is uneven (left is brighter the the right side):smile:

I had bought a few LED bulbs just for the same purpose... I had that done to my miata as I drive that car daily and the LED turns out great.

Anyone know what kind of bulbs the nsx dash needs? (I believed they weren't the normal "wedge" bulbs size.)

i dont see a lot of this kind of mod so i am also interested...

Some older Ferraris suffer from this same thing--ie dim dash lights. I don't know if this would help with NSX's, but some guys have bypassed the dimmer rheostat(sp?) switch on Ferraris and the dash lights improved greatly. Of course, after you do that, you can no longer adjust the dash light brightness because the swith is no longer operable.

if you jumper the switch , it will give full voltage to the lights , making it brighter , but the dimmer knob will no longer work.

I haven't looked at the color of the wires on nsx but other hondas have red/black, red, and a black wire , you connect the two reds
it's noticeably brighter (done it lots)

hmmm, id love to try it, but i dont know if i want to risk anything.

for those who have done it, care to post pics?

Do LED replacement bulbs brighten up the gauge cluster significantly? Or should I just use the normal replacement bulbs?

Thnx.

Henry.

1000bulbs.com have xenon wedge base bulbs. I use the 10 watt for my front marker lamps as these are re-wired for DRL. (My car was imported from the US and DRL are a must have in Canada)
warning, do not touch with your fingers as the oil on your hands will shorten the bulb life.

I am sure the 3 and 5 watt will brighten up your gauges better than new.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Wedge-Base-Xenon-12-Volt-Light-Bulbs/

Back