• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyway to see iPhone/iPod media on an LCD?

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
Is there any cable or aux' input converter or whatever else that can connect an iPhone/iPod to an LCD, so you can then see on the LCD what is being displayed on the iPhone/iPod? I'd still use the iPhone/iPod touchscreen, but I seek a larger screen while driving (for maps/navigation/directions, Pandora, etc').

For reference, I want to be able to see my (non-Jailbroken) iPhone stuff on my larger screen LCD (Pioneer F500BT) via the A/V input. There are numerous other inputs on the F500BT as well. I believe it can be done on a Mac. And old(er) iPhones had 3rd-party/aftermarket cables to allow such for LCD's - or so I assumed at the time.

Any such cables, modules, hacks exist? :confused:

Thanks, in-advance...

Last edited:
I have the Pioneer F90 (similar to yours), it connects directly to the ipod via a charging cable (that I assume you don't have, but need) and displays album cover art as well as plays videos stored on my Touch (2nd gen). There's probably a hack that allows photo viewing as well. Lots of good info here: avic411.com

I'm not hacked on either device, I'm too paranoid.

Last edited:
Thanks man, I'll search/post on that forum (I used to peruse on there awhile ago w/ regards to 3D-city'scapes/geography add-ons). I'm not gonna jailbreak the iPhone, but I don't mind messing w/ the Pioneer AVIC F500BT. In essence, all I really want is the ability to see iPhone's GPS/nav'/directions on the larger LCD, as well as my actual music (Pandora) & incoming text/phone-calls/visual-voicemails w/o being distracted w/ the actual handset. I'm not concerned w/ movies/videos/gaming, so no worries w/ endangering myself and/or others!

Last edited:
yea I agree stuck with At&t did you sign another 2 year contract. LOL
that sounded like a commercial hahha

but yeah the Driod has an output for that.

Iphone are going the way of the Do-Do bird. there are so many better apps for the driod than the Iphone.

and your not stuck on one carrier for life.

I'll have to check to confirm this (don't have a cable near me at the moment), but I believe the iphone now supports "ipod out" for media. The idea behind this is that you would use a video-out cable for the ipod:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B

and when viewing media, the iphone would automatically output an 800x600 video signal with an optimized interface for use in a vehicle or other screen environments. If I had to describe it, I'd say it like front row for your iphone.

I believe this is a feature of iOS4, but it may have been available before too. If you have a chance, you may want to pick up the cable and test it out.

Good luck!

only stored or streaming media...

I'll have to check to confirm this (don't have a cable near me at the moment), but I believe the iphone now supports "ipod out" for media. The idea behind this is that you would use a video-out cable for the ipod:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B

and when viewing media, the iphone would automatically output an 800x600 video signal with an optimized interface for use in a vehicle or other screen environments. If I had to describe it, I'd say it like front row for your iphone.

I believe this is a feature of iOS4, but it may have been available before too. If you have a chance, you may want to pick up the cable and test it out.

Good luck!
Thanks for that. I'll see what "Genius"/Apple store has to say, sometime this week. I read the questions/answers portion of the part's page on Apple's site that you linked above. It seems it only will do A/V (ie. stored songs, pics, vids, Youtube) from the i-device to a tv/monitor/LCD/etc.

I came across a 3rd party cable for i-devices a year or so ago, it too only did A/V (as-in stored songs, pics, videos & Youtube) onto a tv/monitor/LCD/etc. Not my desired goal of actual iPhone homescreen, apps, maps, etc.

There's gotta be a way somewhere, somehow, someway, someplace! :D

I too would love this, it is frustrating that the cable only outputs pictures and video.

There must be a way.

I bet I know what your going to be for Halloween. :biggrin:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIjBqFMwM08&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIjBqFMwM08&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

OK, so we now just need to find out how to do it.

Re: only stored or streaming media...

If your Crapp-i-phone had HDMI outlet like my DROID X, you wouldn't have this issue :p
HDMI outputs in such a way? Really? We're talking the actual screen (i.e. Icons, desktop, etc...) not just a video out.
Thanks for that. I'll see what "Genius"/Apple store has to say, sometime this week. I read the questions/answers portion of the part's page on Apple's site that you linked above. It seems it only will do A/V (ie. stored songs, pics, vids, Youtube) from the i-device to a tv/monitor/LCD/etc.

I came across a 3rd party cable for i-devices a year or so ago, it too only did A/V (as-in stored songs, pics, videos & Youtube) onto a tv/monitor/LCD/etc. Not my desired goal of actual iPhone homescreen, apps, maps, etc.

There's gotta be a way somewhere, somehow, someway, someplace! :D
conceptually, you should be able to write an app that renders the on-screen image into A/V out.

an Apple a day, keeps the 'droids away...

I bet I know what your going to be for Halloween. :biggrin:
lolololz!!! :D

RYU said:
conceptually, you should be able to write an app that renders the on-screen image into A/V out.
Thanks for the insight. I'm rather a tech' n00b when it comes such, but I know of a few iPhone app developers. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say.

I'm majorly itching to install my JDM NSX nav' pod & Pioneer F500BT & iPod direct-cable along w/ the USA-Spec aux' input converter... :p

But, for me the iPhone does everything above - but it's visually too small for safely/defensively operating the NSX (thus I prefer to not mess w/ it while driving, in terms of calls, voice-mails, texts, maps/directions, music, info', etc).

hmm. . .

{double-post, so be it...}

So, looking more into what hlakhani had posted, I came across this:

Buy.com: IOGEAR Composite AV Cable with Charge and Sync for iPhone 4, 3G(S), iPod - GIPODAVC6

"The IOGEAR Composite AV Cable with Charge and Sync is a 6ft. audio / video cable designed to connect video capable iPods and iPhones to a television or stereo system. The Composite AV Cable connects to your Apple device via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home theater system, or stereo receiver with the composite video and analog audio ports. With the driver-free set-up, the process to get started is quick and painless. The compact design also makes this cable very portable and you can take it with you where ever you go and easily share your content.

With the IOGEAR Composite AV Cable with Charge and Sync you can now enjoy and share your favorite mp3, photos and video clips with your friends and family on the big screen. The Composite AV Cable also includes a USB power adapter to keep your iPod / iPhone charged while viewing to side step the annoying, “low on battery” interruption."

So, that's that. No homescreen or apps displayed onto the larger LCD. Unless you're able to do the software mod' that the guy(s) in Moses' vid-link were able to do (they have jaibroken iPhone 4's & did some coding, I recall reading). Thus, at least it's possible.

Once again, gonna look into this further. It's a must-do/must-have for me.

Back