• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple iPad

Actually, I didn't get screwed with the original iPhone.

You're probably a bit more clever than the average user. Certainly not everyone made a profit off of the first gen phones -- the market wouldn't sustain it.

Answer me this: Is the iPad a better or worse device for lack of a USB port? Camera? HDMI out?

You're probably a bit more clever than the average user. Certainly not everyone made a profit off of the first gen phones -- the market wouldn't sustain it.

Answer me this: Is the iPad a better or worse device for lack of a USB port? Camera? HDMI out?

He can't answer that question until Steve Jobs gives him the answer. There is no point in arguing with an apple fanboi because you will never get a rational answer.

Last edited:

For us tech junkies/hackers/devs, of course it's a worse device without those ports, doesn't mean there will be no workarounds. Even then, I'm still thinking of getting one for to use as a "carputer" for in car entertainment purposes, even though it's not as capable as a real carputer, it does what I need, and I can take it with me once I leave my car. If we can get a good Nav app, I'm sold.

Now for computer illiterate people, which is the majority of people, this device will most likely be perfect for them. It does the basics which people need, email, browsing, music, videos, books, IM, etc..

17616_full.jpg

Apple should hire you for their marketing.

"iPad. Computers for morons."

Just because you don't know how to use a computer doesn't make you a moron, especially considering how many morons out there DO know how to use a computer.

iPad is a different sort of computing appliance, and there will be people who will like using it. If you disagree then fine- don't buy one. No need to start calling people names

P

Just because you don't know how to use a computer doesn't make you a moron, especially considering how many morons out there DO know how to use a computer.

A fair point. In my job in IT support, certainly I come across more than my fair share of computer-using morons.

iPad is a different sort of computing appliance, and there will be people who will like using it. If you disagree then fine- don't buy one. No need to start calling people names

I actually like the iPad in concept. It's the execution that I find sorely lacking. Like I said above, it's almost as if Apple intentionally crippled it by leaving off features to either add at a later date, or just as a matter of Jobsian control of the user community. This grinds my gears, and the fanboi Pavlovian slobbering over anything Apple only makes it less palatable.

1. You know my elderly father isn't a moron and he's one that I believe will be able to use the iPad effectively for the things he wants to do. There are an awful lot of smart people out there who just want to do stuff and that does not include maintaining Windows, Mac OS X, a filesystem, backing up, viruses, etc.

2. I have to laugh at those criticizing Apple's business plan as Apple is one of the few computer companies that is doing very well today. Apple's customers love their products and appreciate the attention Apple puts into design. Apple has a ton of cash in the bank (like nearly $40 BILLION) and is very profitable.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2010/01/almost_40_billi.html

3. With regard to Flash, it's clear that Flash has seen its best days on the web. YouTube and Vimeo switched to H.264 and others will too. It's only natural for those web developers who use Flash to be upset with its demise but it's not going to go away overnight, so there will be plenty of time to make the move to something else. Of course, Adobe could fix Flash so that it isn't so buggy and is not such of a resource hog - which for battery powered mobile devices is a real problem. Adobe could also open it up and release it as a open standard and then just concentrate on making authoring tools. iPhone continues to do very well without supporting Flash.

4. As far as Apple crippling the iPad, with possible exception of a camera, I can't think how Apple crippled this device. The talking points usually repeated by iPad critics always seems to contain theoretical points instead of real world issues. Misunderstanding of the iPhone/iPad multitasking is one such example. Apple's decision to implement multitasking in a very judicious manner makes sense for a mobile device that is dependent on battery life. iPad has an outstanding battery life because of the A4 and because of reasonable limits placed on multitasking.

Last edited:
I am not a geek by any means but built my own computer last month. Thats my extent.

However even I knew based on the release that,yes, they intentionally made it the way they did to "release" things updates/products later and bring in more profit.

I think their "vision" is that when you walk into a coffee shop, no one will be reading books or newspapers, they will be on an Ipad. They wont have laptops to do business on , but ipads. They will use an ipad to check their facebook status, look up a neat song, instead of on their phone. I believe Apple is already seeing the future on bringing back a phone to just talk on, to go back to simplicity with them, by brining out a new device. just my two cents.

4. As far as Apple crippling the iPad, with possible exception of a camera, I can't think how Apple crippled this device.

Most have already been mentioned. Whatever one thinks of Flash, the reality is that not having it is crippling. This means that people can't play Farmville on Facebook, or any of the Webkinz stuff that my kids (and wife) enjoy. Not to mention Youtube viddies (yes, there is an HTML5 Youtube -- does the iPad support HTML5?

Camera, yes -- aside from just shooting pics, think how awesome an iPad would be for video conferencing on Skype? Except -- no camera.

It's an awesome platform for watching movies, and wouldn't an HDMI out port be nice for putting it on the big screen.

How about plugging in your Flip Mino camera to watch movies your kids made? Whoops, no USB port.

These isn't high-tech bleeding edge stuff. These are things that I would expect an iPad-like device to have OOB. Except it doesn't.

Bob,

All YouTube videos are now supported in H.264 which can be read by most browsers, including those on iPhones and iPads. Most video sites are moving to H.264. In fact, Apple delivers a nice YouTube app standard with all iPhones and the iPad. Yes, there are a lot of games written in Flash that iPhone/iPad users can't access. You can see the YouTube app below... It looks like a little TV set from the 1950s...

hardware-01-20100127.jpg

I agree about the lack of a web camera. Apple should have offered one at least on certain models. It would have been nice for video conferencing. The iPad has the internal mount for the same camera used in Apple's MacBook line, so a camera is probably coming in the near future.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...how_slot_for_forward_facing_video_camera.html

HDMI would also be nice but there is support for 1024 by 768 (which is the native res of the iPad) video out with the VGA Adapter. There's also the AV cables that do 576p, 480p, 576i and 480i. Remember that Apple was trying to be fairly aggressive with pricing to make this thing affordable.

There is a USB port with the iPad. USB is how the iPad connects with the Mac or Windows host. To connect to a USB camera you do need Apple's little adapter thingy that plugs into the standard 30 pin connector that is common to all iPhones/iPad Touch/iPad devices.

Last edited:
Most have already been mentioned. Whatever one thinks of Flash, the reality is that not having it is crippling. This means that people can't play Farmville on Facebook, or any of the Webkinz stuff that my kids (and wife) enjoy. Not to mention Youtube viddies (yes, there is an HTML5 Youtube -- does the iPad support HTML5?

Camera, yes -- aside from just shooting pics, think how awesome an iPad would be for video conferencing on Skype? Except -- no camera.

It's an awesome platform for watching movies, and wouldn't an HDMI out port be nice for putting it on the big screen.

How about plugging in your Flip Mino camera to watch movies your kids made? Whoops, no USB port.

These isn't high-tech bleeding edge stuff. These are things that I would expect an iPad-like device to have OOB. Except it doesn't.

Sometimes it's annoying to go to a website that's 100% Flash (say, when trying to check a restaurant's website) when on my iPhone - but I'm mostly annoyed with the website, not the iPhone. I don't even like visiting 100% Flash sites on my laptop computer at home - I have the FlashBlock add-on installed for FireFox. Viewing YouTube movies on the iPhone is no problem - there's a built-in YouTube app supplied with the OS.

Camera would be great for those vid conference uses, yes. Perhaps it was a cost-savings measure - reportedly Apple was very keen to keep price down. Some spy photos claim to show the iPad bezel having a space for a camera identical to the one used in MacBooks, so perhaps it'll be there in time for release in 60 days, or for version 2.

Perhaps Apple simply didn't envision people having the iPad dock set up near their TV - it's meant as a mobile media device, not an AppleTV replacement. Note there's no mention of compatibility with the Apple Remote, so every time you'd want to pause/rewind/etc you'll have to get off your couch. So no HDMI saves a tad on weight, volume and form factor. At least VGA connectivity is there, to connect to projectors for those business presentations. (Although increasingly, projectors accept HDMI these days so perhaps that is indeed an oversight on Apple's part in the business realm. But how many iPhones are used in business compared to consumer?)

Apple's "Camera Connection Kit" (no idea on the price) includes both a USB and SD adapter that plugs into the 30-pin dock port. Not as elegant as a built-in USB port and/or SD reader, but again it saves on weight/volume/form factor for a function that'll likely be done less than 1% of the device's usage time. (Apple doesn't talk about importing and editing video, but that's just software - perhaps iMovie later on, perhaps some 3rd party will step in assuming the API allows access to the Connection Kit.)

Funny story. I am doing a site for a guy and he wants flash on it. So we start talking about mac and I said I don't like apple and he went on about how great they are and how he wants the ipad. I said it looks cool, but you realize you won't be able to see your new site on it. He said, oh... I wish the ipad had flash. :biggrin:

Here is another perspective from a die-hard PC fan. Keep in mind that some products are limited to a certain number of functions and do them well. And for some, that is absolutely perfect for their needs. Rather than looking at the iPad for all its deficiencies, look at what functions it does have, and more importantly, how well it does them. If you took the rationale you have been using, in theory there would absolutely be no need for wrist watches. After all your cel phone gives more accurate time and has way more functions than a watch. But people buy watches all the time. Why? Because it serves a simple function. It tells time and it does it well and in a very quick and simple manner. You don't need to fumble with your phone or pull it out of your pocket. Just look at your wrist and BAM, there's the time. Also, the watch has a certain aesthetic that some people are looking for. Some watches cost thousands of dollars and yet all they can do is tell time. Is it worth it? Well yes, for some.

So that brings me to the iPad and the PC. Will the PC have more functionality? Sure. Is the iPad expensive for what functions you get? Sure. But does the iPad fill a certain need for some like a premium wrist watch? Sure. What it does, it does well. And, it has an aesthetic that some people are looking for and are willing to pay a premium for as well.

We've already been integrating IPhones into all our Automation systems last year using the manufacturer's app giving them full control of their entire home. Problem is, it's only good for basic functions because using the small IPhone as a remote is too cumbersome. It's great for turning on the AC an hour before you get home so your house is cooled off when you walk through the door, but sucks for trying to control a TV, so it always had useful but limited use.

This could be the killer product for us in the next year. The screen is now large enough to use as a full automation remote and for $400-$600 per unit, even though it sounds like a lot, is far less expensive than the $2500+ per touchpanel customers used to pay us to put them around the house. I can see one of these ending up in every single room of our future projects, depending on how reliable it proves to be. Manufacturers of large, expensive touchpanels take note. Those days are nearing an end.

Funny story. I am doing a site for a guy and he wants flash on it. So we start talking about mac and I said I don't like apple and he went on about how great they are and how he wants the ipad. I said it looks cool, but you realize you won't be able to see your new site on it. He said, oh... I wish the ipad had flash. :biggrin:

Yes, but did you did tell him, or did he realize, that the millions of iPhone and iPad users won't be able to see his new site?

Or that all the people who have a "Flash" blocker installed won't either?

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=flash+bl&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=flash+block

Yes, but did you did tell him, or did he realize, that the millions of iPhone and iPad users won't be able to see his new site?

Or that all the people who have a "Flash" blocker installed won't either?

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=flash+bl&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=flash+block

That doesn't seem to stop AT&T from using flash and they sell the things.

If you don't want to use flash on your PC that then is your problem. You are missing out on a lot of great content. But don't try and tell everyone else to ruin their browsing experience because you don't like something. You are in a VERY small percentage of people who disable flash.

Last edited:
This could be the killer product for us in the next year. The screen is now large enough to use as a full automation remote and for $400-$600 per unit, even though it sounds like a lot, is far less expensive than the $2500+ per touchpanel customers used to pay us to put them around the house. I can see one of these ending up in every single room of our future projects, depending on how reliable it proves to be. Manufacturers of large, expensive touchpanels take note. Those days are nearing an end.

Very interesting idea for Home Theater and Home Automation usage. I would be interested in that.

It's not that I (and millions of others too) don't like Flash. Flash doesn't like me. I could care less what tool someone uses to create content for the web. It's not a religious thing.

It's because Flash causes problems. And for whatever reason, Adobe can't or is unwilling to fix these bugs.

Here's one example...

http://flashcrash.dempsky.org/

Here's a reported bug that Adobe has ignored for nearly 2 years.

If Adobe would just fix their code this whole thing would be a non-issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#Criticism

Here's an interesting video on the iPad from Charlie Rose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysq7mmGaWoU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
iPad? People in Boston are gonna have a tough time differentiating it from the iPod.

lol, I'm surprised that no body caught this or that no body else found it funny. :shrug:

Here is another perspective from a die-hard PC fan. Keep in mind that some products are limited to a certain number of functions and do them well. And for some, that is absolutely perfect for their needs. Rather than looking at the iPad for all its deficiencies, look at what functions it does have, and more importantly, how well it does them. If you took the rationale you have been using, in theory there would absolutely be no need for wrist watches. After all your cel phone gives more accurate time and has way more functions than a watch. But people buy watches all the time. Why? Because it serves a simple function. It tells time and it does it well and in a very quick and simple manner. You don't need to fumble with your phone or pull it out of your pocket. Just look at your wrist and BAM, there's the time. Also, the watch has a certain aesthetic that some people are looking for. Some watches cost thousands of dollars and yet all they can do is tell time. Is it worth it? Well yes, for some.

So that brings me to the iPad and the PC. Will the PC have more functionality? Sure. Is the iPad expensive for what functions you get? Sure. But does the iPad fill a certain need for some like a premium wrist watch? Sure. What it does, it does well. And, it has an aesthetic that some people are looking for and are willing to pay a premium for as well.

Exactly.

P

Rather than looking at the iPad for all its deficiencies, look at what functions it does have, and more importantly, how well it does them.

I agree. And in fact, this is pretty much what Jobs said during the keynote presentation. That basically, that if they were going to introduce another category of device between a smartphone and a laptop, that it would have to do certain things a LOT better than either (i.e. sharing and showing photos with others, browsing the web).

How well the iPad ultimately does will be tied to what functions it can do better than a smartphone or a laptop.

For those who want to watch a fascinating exhibition of Jobs' presentation skills (unmatched IMHO) and how he sets the stage for the iPad go to Apple's site and watch the keynote. Even if you think the iPad is bunk, I think you'll still admire and enjoy Jobs' talk.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/specialevent0110/

Maybe that's my problem. I don't wear a watch...

Sure, but you can acknowledge that they do exisit and that all people who buy them aren't all idiots and that they do serve a viable and justifiable function for those that do, right?

BTW, I don't wear a watch either, but I do own two fairly expensive Breitlings.

Back