• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple iPad

You just named off every reason why I will likely get one of these. It probably won't be until next fall or so, but as a machine to browse the web the convenience factor is huge- just grab and go- no start up delays, and wirelessly compatable with my home network. If you just want to fire off a quick email, or kill a few minutes surfing then this is a good tool.

It's just "simple" and that is convenient. If we want to do any actual computing we would use our existing PC, or the Macbook.

Phil

These are my thoughts exactly... something extremely simple, convenient, and fast...

I told my finance how she could easily use it in the kitchen for recipes. Or quickly find phone numbers and maps to places.

However, like most apple products - wait for the 2nd generation....

Awesome devise. Any one who only uses his lap top for Internet or giant dvd players think their devise is too big... You have a solution. I'm getting one. Plus playing some of the iPhone game will be more fun and easier to work with.

Personally I'm glad they didn't do that. It would be the same as every other tablet out there but running OSX instead of Windows. Not particularly compelling. The idea is to make it an appliance... easy to use.. that anyone can pick up and use without instruction because it's intuitive.

They could have used OS-X as the backbone of a new GUI specifically made for this iPad, while still making it appear similar to the iPhone style app launcher. In order to load programs on this device, it has to be downloaded from the 3 market apps included. That greatly limits the potential of use of this device.

Although some won't admit it, on a device intended on becoming the ultimate web surfer, flash is a must. How will all those farmtown fans on facebook be able to play their games? They'll have to wait until "there's an app for that" or jump on a computer.

Not including a standard USB port was a bad decision. This makes uplading photos from cameras a pain. This means, you would have to load them onto a Mac/PC first then transfer them onto the iPad.

The last 2 paragraphs would easily be solved with the implementation of OS-X.

Not including a standard USB port was a bad decision. This makes uplading photos from cameras a pain. This means, you would have to load them onto a Mac/PC first then transfer them onto the iPad.
They've got adaptors that fit in the dock slot for cameras & cards. In 6 months there will be a hundred 3rd party stands, docks, and assorted gizmos.

No, they have an adapter.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-28 at 10.48.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-28 at 10.48.39 PM.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 53
I believe since Apple has all their products on lock-down, even with adapters ... you won't be able to upload pictures directly to the iPad...

Like the iPhone, iPods, iTouch, etc., everything is done through iTunes ... unless you use third party apps.

I believe since Apple has all their products on lock-down, even with adapters ... you won't be able to upload pictures directly to the iPad...

Like the iPhone, iPods, iTouch, etc., everything is done through iTunes ... unless you use third party apps.

Negative, you can upload pictures directly with one of those adapters that Jimbo posted.

HP Slate is due out this year.
Same thing as the apple_pad thing, except it looks like it runs a real OS instead of a telephone OS.

Huh?

iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS X.

iPad's OS is also based on Mac OS X.

Rest assured OS X is a "real OS".

They could have used OS-X as the backbone of a new GUI specifically made for this iPad...

Uhh..... They did use OS X as the backbone.

I believe since Apple has all their products on lock-down...

Lock down?

I have no idea what you're referring to. If I connect a digital camera to my Mac with a USB cable i can see the camera as a hard drive and easily transfer pictures. I can also do it thru iPhoto if desired.

There are also numerous ways to move photos and files in general from the iPhone as well.

And yes, there are scads of iPhone and Mac applications that use Apple's industry standard compliant API calls to do cool things as well.

Apple supports and uses the industry standard PTP (picture taking protocol) on all their machines.

Whew, there's a lot of F.U.D. and bogus preconceptions out there from the Apple haters.

PS: I'm glad Apple doesn't support Flash on the iPhone or iPad. Flash is a bug-ridden P.O.S. and a CPU hog. Nearly all of my browser problems and crashes are due to Flash. Apple should buy Adobe just to kill off Flash and make the move to HTML5.

Last edited:
HP Slate is due out this year.
Same thing as the apple_pad thing, except it looks like it runs a real OS instead of a telephone OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzdy6ETEmU

That looks sweet. I look forward to seeing more of that.

I think it is funny how the apple fanbois on here have to argue with everyone about the most basic things.

Seriously, you should all remove flash from your computers and see how good your web browsing experience is.

I like this one better Archos 9, but I seem to dislike everything Apple produces because it's coming from Apple which has to many fans for me. :biggrin:

archos_9pctablet.jpg

Last edited:
I think it is funny how the apple fanbois on here have to argue with everyone about the most basic things.

Let the tool fit the job- I find it funny that the PC fanbois seem to think this device needs to be a laptop without a keyboard.

As mentioned above- this thing is good to send a quick email, check out the forums, maybe do some browsing, and to run the "apps" that have become so popular in our culture. It is an intuitive device that is basically grab and go. There are already a ton of applications developed for the iPhone that will run on this thing so it's usefulness is similar to that of the iPhone. Some people (maybe not you) want something simple like that.

Through the use of intuitive controls in Apple devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad ect) Apple is spoonfeeding technology to the masses in a way that almost anyone can understand, and benefit from.

If you want to look at CNN theres an app for that. Facebook? There is an app for that. IM with friends? There is an app. Check the weather forcast? app available, Google something? No problem. Music? Got it. YouTube? No problem. Calander? got it. Time wasting games? Thousands of them.

Sure it is "locked up" as far as software, and everything is filtered through iTunes- there are benefits to that.

Viruses? Nope.

OS Crash and multiple source driver updates? Nope.

What you have here is a "dumbed down" computer- and for a lot of people that is what they want.

Also AFAIK "Flash" is responsible for the most annoying pop ups on the internet- and guess what I don't ever get on my iPhone?

Last edited:
Let the tool fit the job- I find it funny that the PC fanbois seem to think this device needs to be a laptop without a keyboard.

As mentioned above- this thing is good to send a quick email, check out the forums, maybe do some browsing, and to run the "apps" that have become so popular in our culture. It is an intuitive device that is basically grab and go. There are already a ton of applications developed for the iPhone that will run on this thing so it's usefulness is similar to that of the iPhone. Some people (maybe not you) want something simple like that.

Through the use of intuitive controls in Apple devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad ect) Apple is spoonfeeding technology to the masses in a way that almost anyone can understand, and benefit from.

If you want to look at CNN theres an app for that. Facebook there is an app for that. IM with friends there is an app. Check the weather forcast- app available, Google something? No problem, Music? Got it. YouTube? No problem. Calander- got it, time wasting games- thousands of them.

Sure it is "locked up" as far as software, and everything is filtered through iTunes- there are benefits to that.

Viruses? Nope.

OS Crash and multiple source driver updates? Nope.

What you have here is a "dumbed down" computer- and for a lot of people that is what they want.

Also AFAIK "Flash" is responsible for the most annoying pop ups on the internet- and guess what I don't ever get on my iPhone?

so disable flash on your home pc and see how good your browsing experience is.

As for viruses, I seem to recall some pretty nasty viruses going around to iphones... of course they were for jailbroken iphones.

Also, why do I need to buy a bunch of apps for stuff I can get for free on a PC all day long?

And to think, I was just pondering the other day... when will someone create a device which readily allows me to to simple functions and surf the web for short bursts of time as I poop on my toliet? I need something portable, quick to start up, easy to navigate with one hand and has enough features to keep me entertained while I'm dropping my load. Enter Ipad. This serves a very vital function for me. I will be getting one.

Last edited:
And to think, I was just pondering the other day... when will someone create a device which readily allows me to to simple functions and surf the web for short bursts of time as I poop on my toliet? I need something portable, quick to start up, easy to navigate with one hand and has enough features to keep me entertained while I'm dropping my load. Enter Ipad. This serves a very vital function for me. I will be getting one.

If only it would wipe for you. Maybe there is an app for that. :biggrin:

The only site I frequent that uses Flash is Vanguard, and there it's just for graphs. I'm going to write them today and ask about their plans to migrate away from Flash and onto an open standard.

The only site I frequent that uses Flash is Vanguard, and there it's just for graphs. I'm going to write them today and ask about their plans to migrate away from Flash and onto an open standard.

Flash works on 98% of PC's out there. I am sure they are in a rush to drop it.:rolleyes:

Why don't you write apple and ask them why they are ruining your browsing experience.

Seriously, you should all remove flash from your computers and see how good your web browsing experience is.

I did, sort of. I installed Click to Flash. It disables all Flash in my browser. Much faster browsing and I don't get annoyed by all the ads and popups, so overall a better browsing experience. Youtube has non-flash video so that is covered. I used to watch some shows on Hulu, but with them getting ridiculous with the commercials, up to 8-9 commercials on a 30-40 minute show :confused::confused:, I no longer watch Hulu, so that's a non-issue.

I like this one better Archos 9, but I seem to dislike everything Apple produces because it's coming from Apple which has to many fans for me. :biggrin:

archos_9pctablet.jpg

So if you dislike everything Apple, you're basically in here trolling.

so disable flash on your home pc and see how good your browsing experience is.

As for viruses, I seem to recall some pretty nasty viruses going around to iphones... of course they were for jailbroken iphones.

Also, why do I need to buy a bunch of apps for stuff I can get for free on a PC all day long?

You don't need to buy a bunch of apps, a lot of those are free. Just because it's free, doesn't mean it's a crappy app either.

If only it would wipe for you. Maybe there is an app for that. :biggrin:

Sounds like you're just trolling too... :rolleyes:

Flash works on 98% of PC's out there. I am sure they are in a rush to drop it.:rolleyes:

Why don't you write apple and ask them why they are ruining your browsing experience.

So you're all for Adobe's proprietary Flash over an open source platform? :confused:

Sounds like you're just trolling too... :rolleyes:

I am not quite sure how you can call people trolls on a NSX site commenting on an APPLE product. :rolleyes:

Also, I have no idea what these sites are you visit that have flash pop-ups all over the place. I am on the internet literally all day and never have that problem.

If you want to tell everyone how great APPLE is, go to an APPLE forum where millions of APPLE followers will all agree how APPLE is the greatest company in the world and nothing they do is wrong.

Here people will actually state their opinion.

So you're all for Adobe's proprietary Flash over an open source platform? :confused:

You seriously want to talk about open source platforms when you love APPLE?? Really? Seriously? Is there anyone more controlling over what software they LET you use with their OS?

Back