• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there any interests for a NSX-specific HID kit?

iasports said:
Interested in the 5300K kit.
Hi, you have been PMing me and I replied many times but your mail box is full and my replies are not going through. I tried to send you email instead but it is not an option. Please clean up your mail box and pm me again. I am more than happy to sell you a kit. :D
Thanks,
Steve

Just got mine installed - saweet!

For anyone out there looking for some very tasteful (and functional) HID's these are it! It took me 2 hrs to do the install - but i was going very slow. Anyway, I'm pretty much mechanically/electrilcally stupid but the instructions Steve included were great! I think he said he still had a couple kits left. If you're wondering about the color. I'd compare it to Porsches Litronics. The light that it puts on the ground (almost greenish - but very white and blue at the edges) is very close to the 911 I had. If you're on the edge - go for it! You wont regret it.

Thanks Steve!

I got one of these kits from WhiteNSXs and it is excellent. His instructions are some of the best I have seen, his replacement weather caps are well done and the whole kit installs quickly, neatly and easily. The result of course is fantastic as I'm sure everyone has seen in various before/after HID pictures people have posted over the years. Overall I am very happy.

Hi Steve,

I emailed you about the HID but never got a reply. Do you still have a kit available?

Lud said:
I got one of these kits from WhiteNSXs and it is excellent. His instructions are some of the best I have seen, his replacement weather caps are well done and the whole kit installs quickly, neatly and easily. The result of course is fantastic as I'm sure everyone has seen in various before/after HID pictures people have posted over the years. Overall I am very happy.
Thank you Lud, Manny, and MLmotorsport for the nice reviews. This time around, I am getting more requests than what I have in stock. So far everyone who has bought the kit has decided to keep the stock caps instead of sending back to me for the $25 refund, I will just sell the kit assuming that you will keep the stock caps unless you SPECIFICALLY tell me that you will return them to me.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
The caps will be on their merry way this week sometime!!

Sorry Steve, but they're sitting on the bench boxed up n ready to go! I just need to get out and ship 'em. I will do my best to have them off by weeks end!
Michael

Re: The caps will be on their merry way this week sometime!!

MLmotorsport said:
Sorry Steve, but they're sitting on the bench boxed up n ready to go! I just need to get out and ship 'em. I will do my best to have them off by weeks end!
Michael
Great, this will help out my cap shortage. I will send you a $25 check when I get them. Thank you so much again.
Steve

Yes,
The 6000K is available. If you want a set, the price is $395 plus $25 refundable core charge for your stock caps and $10 shipping.
I personally think the 5300k kit is the best and it is $20 cheaper.
If you are serious about this, please send me a $100 deposit so that I will start buying the materials to build you a kit.
Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Is the kit D2S bulbs + ballasts retrofitted into the stock NSX projector? How do the cutoffs look? Cut offs are my main concern as I want to avoid HID light scatter towards oncoming traffic. Thanks.

Garrick

I finally had some time to install Steve's HID kit (5300K). I must say that this was one of the easiest DIY I have ever done. The instructions that Steve provided were excellent. The kit itself was also put together nicely, especially the modified caps. I was able to mount the ballast and igniter inside the headlight housing so no wires can be seen. The only minor issue was that one of the bulbs seemed a bit whiter than the other, however I hear that they will even out in time. If you are looking for an HID kit this is the one! Total installation time was ~ 1.5 hrs, and that's with me being really picky. Thanks again Steve!!!

What exactly do you mean by cut-off? I'll try and take a picture of the beam pattern tonight. Like I said earlier, this kit is a very clean and easy install!

Beam patterns are created by reflectors and projectors. The NSX is a projector lamp. The cut-off is where the beam patterns upper limit is which helps reduce blinding light to on-coming traffic.

This is even more important in HID applications since the light is much brighter. Drive up to about 20 feet from a wall and turn on your lights. You should see a clean cutoff in the beam pattern. This ensures that the HID won't blind on-coming traffic, etc.

I usually work with OEM Hella projectors which produce a nice pronounced cut-off and wondered if the D2S bulb behaves well.

Here is an example... notice the clean cut-off above a certain point?

1998-eclipse-with-Hella90mm-beam-onthewall.jpg

At ~ 20' distance what heigth should the cut off be? I would imagine that the distance would have no impact on a good HID setup as it should always remain below a certain level.

Hi,
Here is a quick picture I just snapped. Note that the cut off is really sharp and the left side is lower as what it should be. The beam pattern is exactly like stock thanks to the extremely well done bulbs with precisely placed Xenon ignition chamber. I have driven in front of my NSX driven by my friend. The lights are very pleasant and focus. They don't blind cars in front at all. Call me biased, but I think my kit is THE BEST out there.
Steve

Attachments

• nsxhid 020.jpg
    nsxhid 020.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,593
Update!

Well, I have been getting steady orders after my original deadline of 8/13/04. Looks like this is a sustainable hobby. So I will just stock a couple of sets at a time instead of buying big batches as previously stated. So if anyone is still interested in my kit, please feel free to contact me and I will just build a set here and there to fill the demand. Hey, I feel like an addict. I am using the few dollars that I make from this hobby HID to fuel the NSX goodies and feel mighty good about that. It just does not feel the same with the money I earn from my day job. Am I just wierd? :D
Stay tune. My brain is lighting up again for a new product. ;)
Steve

Re: Update!

whiteNSXs said:
... Hey, I feel like an addict. I am using the few dollars that I make from this hobby HID to fuel the NSX goodies and feel mighty good about that. It just does not feel the same with the money I earn from my day job. Am I just wierd? :D
Not to distract from your thread's primary topic Steve, but I empathize completely - I do exactly the same thing with my speaker plates - all the money goes back into the car! It certainly isn't a real money-making enterprise & if you costed your labour effort in hours at your day-job rate, these would be untouchable. But it's a different reward - you're giving something back that the community needs and as you say, fuels costing for other goodies - Oh, & it keeps the wife happy because there's no drain on the household fund!
Have fun with it!

Hi Steve,

Are you using a particular turn signal/parking light bulb (the white bulb of course) to try and match to the HID's? I tried using the PIAA Xtreme White bulbs, but they don't even come close. I also tried the Imported PIAA HID wedge bulbs. They come close but there is too much of a blue tint to them.

Back