• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are we trying to discourage new members?

Anyone that has time warner cable automatically gets an email account from time warner and it will work, its what I used.

Last edited:
This is common practice from any ISP, not just Time Warner.

Cox, Comcast, Verizon, etc...

Yea but for example, I have ATT internet service at home... and therefore would have a [email protected] email address which would be a non-free email address since I pay for the internet service. But anyone can go to att.net and sign up for a free email account and get a [email protected] email address for free so whats to distinguish me with my @att.net address from someone with their free, made up to scam @att.net address??

One thing that Lud didn't mention, that I think would play a role today, is registration SPAM. I started an internet-facing web site powered with forum software and within a couple years we were getting an overwhelming number of automated SPAM registrations. I think Lud and other moderators have better things to do with their time than filter through those.

If he made it easy to register, I think he would very quickly regret it.

One thing that Lud didn't mention, that I think would play a role today, is registration SPAM. I started an internet-facing web site powered with forum software and within a couple years we were getting an overwhelming number of automated SPAM registrations. I think Lud and other moderators have better things to do with their time than filter through those.

If he made it easy to register, I think he would very quickly regret it.

Yes, the registration questions drastically reduced forum spammers, as I mentioned a couple years ago. They have continued to be extremely effective on that front.

What could work is a voucher system. Another member vouches for an individual.. this will keep away scammers.

So, something like:
E-mail: [email protected]
Member referred: nsxotic911

I would get an email for that user and could vouch for them...

What could work is a voucher system. Another member vouches for an individual.. this will keep away scammers.

So, something like:
E-mail: [email protected]
Member referred: nsxotic911

I would get an email for that user and could vouch for them...

Interesting thought. But I thnk the member vouching can't be someone who just joined with 10 posts. That would defeat the purpose.

Hi - I've been a member of this site for many years. I don't post too often, but enjoy reading about everyone and checking for events locally. BUT I (UNFORTUNATELY) live in a gated community in which a handful of idiots decided to change our cable system from Comcast to some off the wall, mom & pop company out of St. Augustine, FL. I've spent literally days changing things to a gmail address. I tried to change my Comcast to Gmail on NSXPrime and it wouldn't allow me. Is there some other way that I can change this otherwise I will have to give up on any messages or anything on this site as I don't have any other way to get a "paid" email address. I sent a message through the help and never recieved a response. Now I'm just hours away from loosing my Comcast. I know it was suggested to us to use our work email address, but I work for the government and ALL emails are potentially public record and I don't think that's a good idea. Any suggestions?

I'll answer your question, but it is perhaps not the answer you were looking for.

Yes, from a big picture point of view, it is my goal to discourage folks with just a "casual" interest in the NSX from registering.

Why? The forums on this site were headed in a direction I did not like in the mid-2000s so I actively sought to change the direction. While I'm sure your friends are fine, over the years a very disproportionate number of problematic users, as well as non-owners with very high "Off Topic" to "NSX" post ratios, have been folks with only a cursory interest in the NSX.

So I decided to put up a couple fairly low barriers in an attempt to increase the percentage of new registrations that were serious NSX folks. Because the NSX is such a niche enthusiast vehicle and had recently gone out of production, I knew this would mean decreasing the total number of registrations, not increasing the number of serious NSX folks registering. And that was fine with me because growing the site to just be a huge online community around whatever people wish to discuss is not my goal. I don't want an Off Topic forum with 10 "lifestyle" sub-forums. I know other sites do because it increases traffic which drives ad revenue, and there is nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I want for this site.

My vision for the site is one tightly focused around NSX ownership, meaning this site is for NSX owners, people seriously interested in becoming owners, and dedicated enthusiasts. The more membership it is steered towards those groups, the more NSX-focused it will be, and that is my goal.

Looking back over the last 6-7 years from today's vantage point I feel these changes, while not perfect, have largely functioned as intended.

It does bother me that I know some NSX owners have been deterred from joining, but looking at all the statistics (registration rates, post rates in various forums, etc.) I believe it is a small number and the vast majority of serious NSX folks are willing to invest a few minutes to get past the small barriers I have put in place in an effort to keep the site on course.

I agree with your vision!

I hope this forum will stay active and growing with the latest information / idea / experiences available for the NSX.

Last edited:
Minimal intelligence requirement is a must on any website. The math thing is good but square root of -1 is just too hard. I have been searching for hours now but I could not find the answer.:confused:
Steve

Minimal intelligence requirement is a must on any website. The math thing is good but square root of -1 is just too hard. I have been searching for hours now but I could not find the answer.:confused:
Steve

"i" ... its an imaginary number.

I think we should INCREASE the requirements to join Prime. I propose that everyone must lap Laguna Seca in an NSX in 1:57 (I'll call it Clarkson's number) :wink: or faster to be able to join.

I think we should INCREASE the requirements to join Prime. I propose that everyone must lap Laguna Seca in an NSX in 1:57 (I'll call it Clarkson's number) :wink: or faster to be able to join.

Vega$, it is very generous of you to donate your NSX to NSX Prime so we have a consistent-specification vehicle for people to use when attempting to meet this benchmark.

Hmm I like it,,,I'll put that right up there with Avagadro:tongue:

Vega$, it is very generous of you to donate your NSX to NSX Prime so we have a consistent-specification vehicle for people to use when attempting to meet this benchmark.

The point is to make this an exclusive membership right? If we use mine EVERYONE will clear the Clarkson's Number. Yup it's that fast... :tongue:

Hmm I like it,,,I'll put that right up there with Avagadro:tongue:

I was thinking more along the line of a Reynolds :tongue:

The point is to make this an exclusive membership right? If we use mine EVERYONE will clear the Clarkson's Number. Yup it's that fast... :tongue:

You're one of those cheaters with the wide tires, eh? I think NSXPO HPDEs should adopt a rule that you can only run stock size street wheels/tires...just like me. Similar would obviously apply to this NSX Prime entry test.

Back