• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are you allowed to say no?

Are you allowed to say no, when someone ask or attempt to force/pressure you to allow them to test drive of your NSX?

I came across with a local NSX owner last week, who wanted to take my car out for a spin. I wasn't willing for several reasons: Rush hour, busy street, wrong place at the wrong time, his attitude, his experience, it is my car, my choice. I don't like it when someone try to "force" me. Sure it is just a car for him. Doesn't mean it is just a car for me. He got nothing to lose, liability all my, worst case scenario. He get a broken nose, 2 black eyes.

I personally have "never ever" asked someone to allow me to test drive their car, unless they actually offer it without having me to ask first. Reason is simple, I respect others, especially if I know they have put in a lot of hard work into the car, by asking, I simply put them on the spot. They might allow me to drive unwillingly. Not a nice thing to do in my opinion.

I have no problem if I actually offer someone to test drive it, which I have done in the past, both NSX and Supra. I only allow people I know well or if I think they have the experience to handle it.

Even for me I took it easy for 2 days to get used to the CTSC and not taking any chances. The power is not overwhelming once you get used to it, however for someone with no experience and jump right in, underestimate it with over confidence. That is when things usually go wrong. I can already see what might happen. If there is even 1 % chance, why risk it?

Of course you're allowed to say no. It's your car. You invested all of the time and money. I think it's very rude and forward for someone to ask you if they could drive your car (especially if you don't know him/her very well). I think it would be totally fine if he/she asked you if you could take him/her for a ride in your car.

Psychobiology said:
I think it would be totally fine if he/she asked you if you could take him/her for a ride in your car.

I agree. I have no problem giving people a ride if they ask but would NEVER let someone I didn't know EXTEMELY well drive the car. It's just plain rude for someone to ask let alone be that persistent to want to drive it. The fact that you have a CTSC should constitute the reason for you to say no. It's just not worth satisfying someone's desire to drive the car for the amount of distress it would cause you.

I don't let anybody drive my nsx; if someone were to ask, and pressed the issue after I had said no, I would be highly offended... $0.02

If someone is offering test drives, or rides, it is a different matter, but to ask someone to drive their car is a large step forward, and to force the issue after being told no... that just seems very rude to me.

Does this mean I won't be able to test drive your CTSC, Jason?:biggrin:

My typical answer is "No, HELL NO". Then I put an end to their request.

But there is a handful of folks I would let drive my car w/o me there. Well, ok maybe 2-3. Then 5 I would with me there.

F-em I have to say no, often.....Just say its too low and nobody drives but me....:wink:

Psychobiology said:
Of course you're allowed to say no. It's your car. You invested all of the time and money. I think it's very rude and forward for someone to ask you if they could drive your car (especially if you don't know him/her very well). I think it would be totally fine if he/she asked you if you could take him/her for a ride in your car.

Friends and associates are always asking to drive my NSX I always say NO ....sorry noone drives but me.....Its that easy !!!!!
I have let Hugh drive....when ever he wants ...I trust him ! and my brother....that made me very nervous....and an exgirlfriend drove it for about 2 minutes before I freaked out and took the wheel back...
It is OK to say NO !!!!!
I did get into 1 fight with a valet parker who wouldnt let me park my NSX even though I was offering him cash to enter the lot....I ended up parking about a mile away and jogging to the restaurant .....

Psychobiology said:

I think his question should be, can you say no without it being rude? Obviously he can say no, its his car.

I think he is just trying to address that while he is saying no, it should not be taken as being rude. Which I think is fair, I think most car guys, I mean car people...understand this and that some people love their cars much more than "its just a car", its your baby, your pride and joy that you have poured hard earned money and time into.

Its your right to say no, I think whether you are deemed rude is a factor of two things, one how you say no and why and how the person that hears the message interprets your "no" are you just being . Some people only hear and interpret things as being rude, this is out of your control. The only thing you have in your control is how you deliever the message "No", i.e. don't have to be harsh or yell or be condescending just explain how you feel about your car and that it is typically your policy not to let other people drive in case something happens.

clr1024 said:
I think his question should be, can you say no without it being rude? Obviously he can say no, its his car.

I think he is just trying to address that while he is saying no, it should not be taken as being rude. Which I think is fair, I think most car guys, I mean car people...understand this and that some people love their cars much more than "its just a car", its your baby, your pride and joy that you have poured hard earned money and time into.

I don't ask to drive other's cars and don't expect to be asked to let others drive mine. I have said, "No (with a chuckle), you wouldn't want to deal with my scrutiny/supervision/etc..."

TomCat said:
I don't ask to drive other's cars and don't expect to be asked to let others drive mine. I have said, "No (with a chuckle), you wouldn't want to deal with my scrutiny/supervision/etc..."

I think the question itself, without an offer from the owner, is by its very nature rude - sort of like people asking how much you paid for your nsx, as has been covered in another thread... I would be put off if someone approached me and asked to drive my car - $0.02

I only let others drive if I get to driver their car. The other person gets to experience a NSX and I get to experience some other car.

But this is just because I have a NA1 NSX... When I'm getting NA2 1997+ NSX later this year things might be different... Because it's a lot more expensive car... And specially when I will start to modify the NA2 much it will be more like "I'm sorry, but I can give you a drive in it"...

Last edited:
I agree someone being persistent is annoying, but as far as I'm concerned, its just a car..i've let pretty much anyone who asked get some wheel time...I've never undersrood making a car out to be more than it is.. the only caveat is if idont know someone real well , then I'm in the car with them...

clr1024 said:

Its your right to say no, I think whether you are deemed rude is a factor of two things, one how you say no and why and how the person that hears the message interprets your "no" are you just being . Some people only hear and interpret things as being rude, this is out of your control. The only thing you have in your control is how you deliever the message "No", i.e. don't have to be harsh or yell or be condescending just explain how you feel about your car and that it is typically your policy not to let other people drive in case something happens.

Ah. If the question is if you can say no without it coming across as rude? The answer is yes. You don't even have to tell the person who is asking to drive your car "No". All you have to do is say, "I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable letting other people drive my car." I don't see how that could be seen as rudely denying someone's request.

Psychobiology said:
Ah. If the question is if you can say no without it coming across as rude? The answer is yes. You don't even have to tell the person who is asking to drive your car "No". All you have to do is say, "I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable letting other people drive my car." I don't see how that could be seen as rudely denying someone's request.

That was my point, no matter how nicely you say no, some people are going to take it as being rude. That is out of your hands, you can only be polite and say no in a nice way

I often ask for test drives in cars but I preface it with please feel free to say no if you are uncomfortable with it. I am not offended if they say no. I almost always let people drive my car if they ask and if it’s on their insurance. And if not I will almost always offer a ride.

Regards,

Patrick

clr1024 said:
That was my point, no matter how nicely you say no, some people are going to take it as being rude. That is out of your hands, you can only be polite and say no in a nice way

I agree. It's out of your control.

I say that I am the only one who drives this car. Not my mom, not even the pope. No one can argue with that. (Even if it's not true).

If someone forces the issue, they have become disrespectful to you and your wishes and deserve no respect from you and probably isn't your real friend. Don't feel bad about making them feel bad.

Personally, I would be embarrassed to outright ask anyone except my best friends to let me drive their exotic. I might jokingly make a statement about letting me drive but wouldn't ever really expect to do so. If that person is the person who would even let you drive it at all, he'll throw the keys your way w/o asking. Him/her knowing I'd like to drive it is enough for them to make that call by themself.

I had a 308 before my NSX. I let lots of people drive it and let people drive my NSX. People I knew of course and was comfortable with. I have even let people take it alone. To me its part of the fun of owning a car like this. It totally makes someones day when you let them drive it. That said I have told people I don't know very well no and if you arent comfortable letting someone drive it tell them no. As long as you aren't rude about it then its fine. Just my two cents.

:confused:

test drive your nsx.... gota be kidding right?

usually when they ask, i perfer the straight up rejection and end all hope right there and then. "NO" it works wonders.

Honestly tho, i would only let one person drive it and he has racing expereince. Even then i get a little antsy.

would let someone test drive my woman before my nsx.:biggrin:

maye i'll do a package deal for the two:wink:

A simple no should be enough and no excuse is needed. If he keeps pursuing, he has no respect for you and your car. You can ask him what part of “No” you don’t understand. Interestingly, no one ever ask me for a NSX test drive but a lot of test ride requests. Most of them know the answer and don’t bother to ask. Anyway some them have more exciting cars than the NSX.

In fact I did offered my car to a Bridgestone test driver at Big Willow couple years ago and I had a big grin when we got back to the pit. I wouldn’t hesitate to invite him again.

that's weird.. people around me knows best not to ask me.. no one ever asked me if they can test drive mine before..

i let people drive my car, at my approval. but if that persons attitude is shitty, or i just dont feel like it, then i'll be like; ''naw meng, my car is going through some shit, clutch is slipping dude." usually when you tell them something is wrong with you car(knock on wood), you can deny them without being rude or a jerk. but if i feel like being rude,.."NAW beyotch!"

My NSX only have one driver and that's me. I don't want to risk my NSX getting damaged by somebody else. If it's broken let it be by me. It's going to be my money to fix the car. Why let others drive it? My 89 Civic hatchback got the lower body frame broke and the clutch burn. Non of my sibling admit to have damaged it. Lesson learnt.:mad:

Back