• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are you runnning Ball bearing turbo?

Hey guys,

For those running ball bearing turbos, Where are you guys feeding and returning water from and to?

How are you running your lines? pics would be awesome.

Thanks,

-MSR

Most people use the cooling lines that go to your throttle body. Where is comes out of your throttle body send it to your turbo then back to the engine.

Last edited:
I have not checked the throttle body at all, would it take fittings so I can run braided lines? or would I have to take it off and weld fittings to it?

I am not comfortble* with running rubber lines... Bad experiences.

-MSR

Last edited:
Or maybe I can settle for this hoses, Does anyone know where to to this exact same hoses?
PB282981.JPG

nothing wrong with rubber coolant lines. not sure what exact brand that it but i use JEGS pushloc hose for most of the setups ive ran, and never had any issues. you can use their barbed an fittings whenever possible it is always a secure connection. heat wrap as necessary when running over any exhaust components.

Are you using An fittings too? Like this?
555-blackhose.jpg

Or just pushed and clamped?

Does anyone has a pic of to run the lines AT the throttle body?

-MSR

those look like an fittings and attached to an threads but they are barbed pushloc fittings similar to the braided steel an line fittings. the red piece that wraps around the black hose is just a cosmetic casing and doenst hold the line in like the braided line AN fittings. clamps are not needed for these lines, trust me once you see how tight they fit is you'll see why.

Ok, I don't now how those lines work on nsx's , but on my other car those lines would carry coolant to the TB to help start up.
The coolant would run through the TB and the computer then reads the temperature and settles the idle once is at operating temperature.

Did you notice erratic idle after taking those lines of the TB? May the lines could just be T'd?

-MSR

Last edited:
assuming the nsx TB is like any other honda TB there really isnt a huge effect. there is a fast idle control which is what the coolant lines go to which is not controlled by the ECU, and then there is the idle air control valve which is controlled by the ECU which stays in place. i had the fast idle valve removed and blocked on all my turbo honda b series setups and never had a problem with idle or cold start even well below freezing temps.

Last edited:
Generally in every car I've seen with coolant lines running to the TB, it is used to keep the TB from freezing in the open position during cold/wintery operation. I would guess that not many here, if any would be driving the car in the winter anyway.

With that said, I have had a buddy have his TB freeze open while he was at a light. He had to turn the car off for a few minutes to allow the heat from the engine to melt the ice.

I have bypassed mine on my non-winter cars.

It'll be ok. no need to T anything. Think of it as a circuit. keep one coolant line to the throttle body, then take the other hose on the TB off and put to the turbo put the line out of the turbo back to the TB.

I might be wrong but I would think you would want to know the direction the coolant was going to make sure the heated coolant from the turbo did not go back to the TB, this is assuming the coolant after it leaves the turbo would be hotter than before it went to the turbo.

If it was me I would bypass the TB and use the lines for the turbo as stated above, as warm as the engine compartment is on a mid-engine turbo car I cannot see a TB freezing and the less heat near the charge air the better unless you intercooler is after the TB then it really would not matter.

Dave

Hey guys,
I took a couple pics of the throttle body, to see if you can help me to figure out which are the lines I need to use for the turbo.

Trying to see which one is feed and which one is return, also they seem of a pretty small diameter, -4 maybe?

The outlets on the turbo are pretty large, seems like -6 should the smaller I should go.

Maybe there is another way I can feed water from?, the head?

Pics of your set up will
Greatly help.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644287.977553.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644287.977553.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644414.162068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644414.162068.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644473.295524.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644473.295524.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 74
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644553.694359.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1299644553.694359.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 72
1991-94 with IAC - use the outlet port on the IAC, and return the coolant to the thermostat water passage.

1995-05 w/o IAC - use the rear port on the thermostat water passage and return the coolant to the thermostat water passage.

The fittings are 8mm (5/16). The banjo fittings used with turbos are -6 or 3/8, however, with silicone hose, there is enough compliance from the hose to fit over the barbs. Secure the silicone hose with smooth worm clamps to prevent damage to the silicone hose.

-- Chris

In your first pic the hose ABOVE the one you point at comes from the IAC. That hose connects through the pipe above to the IAC. The hose you point at sends coolant FROM the throttle body INTO the thermostat housing. The end by your arrow is the connection to the thermostat housing.

With that said, I think Chris is suggesting you tap this coolant circuit at the IAC end of the pipe above, not at the throttle body.

I have not done this, so I cannot speak from experience, but with this arrangement the coolant would hit the turbo first, then go through the throttle body. I know many bypass the throttle body, but if not I would think you would want to hit the turbo last in the loop. As many have said the throttle body "warming" system does not really seem to have much practical effect on things, just a thought.....

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Back