• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

As most of you know, I'm pretty fat...

I'll chime in:

Your weight (or BMI) is strictly a function of calories taken in vs. calories burned. PERIOD.

Noteworthy is that muscles continue to burn calories long after you stop exercising. Therefore more muscle burns calories, so don't ignore weights and/or lifting.
Biologically, your goal is damn near impossible in the time frame you're shooting for, but you never know.
I would recommend an hour of aerobic (running is best, walking, swimming, dancing0 and 45 mins of aerobic (weights, sprints, ?) each day, three days in a row then take one day off. Repeat.

This diet below is very low fat, and would be very difficult to stay on for 60 days, but should shed pounds.

My former room mate was a trainer and he always put ppl on this diet and his clients would lose weight like crazy...

Raw food only:

As much fruit, nuts (Unsalted) & vegetables as you want.

No sugar (cut out soft drinks and replace with water).

Nothing processed (no cheese / hot dogs etc)

Eat fish (Raw if you like sushi). This is where you'll get most of your protein (and from the nuts above)

Drink tons of water.

You will start to drop off pounds if you stick to this.

An aggresive diet like this is very hard on your body. You need to realize that losing weight is not linear. That last ten pounds lost will be much harder to lose than the first ten.

Good luck. I hope you have a "Plan B" if you don't get that Contract.

As mentioned above, developing muscle (weight training) throughout your entire body is probably going to be the best and most healthy way. Don't be like most guys and only do upper body workouts. Most upper body muscles are actually fairly small and won't burn as many calories as compared to the rest of your body. So don't forget about the core, upper back, lower back and all the muscles in your legs. As far as cardio, do whatever you can squeeze in and whatever your comfortable with. If you keep the rest times short (1-1.5 min) in between your weight lifting sets, you won't let your heart rate drop too much, so it will feel like almost like a cardio work out.

Fad diets and exercise routines tend to deplete your wallet and you might be more prone to gain the weight back, so keep it simple. I found increasing muscle mass increases your bodies metabolism, therefore, your resting metabolism throughout the day is much higher. Don't worry about how many meals to eat in the day, rather focus on reducing portion sizes and eating clean meals (no fried or processed foods). I usually keep each meal around 1.5-2 times my fist size. At my current metabolism, I am eating these small meals every 2-3 hours. For beginners, you will probably still be eating 3 meals a day, but that should naturally increase in time.

I would use simple waist measurements to judge your progress as BMI tends to be misleading at times. If your belly is getting smaller, then you are moving in the correct direction. Or as the saying goes, "the mirror never lies." If you can measure your % body fat, that would also help, but it's not as obvious as measuring your waist (belly).

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't know you, but I feel compelled to type (and I dont post often)

I used to be 215 at 5'8. (2 years ago). I am 175 now. (1 year to accomplish this, with small hiccups---> I can eat anything now, I just eat smarter)

80% Nutrition
20% Workouts

1000% Discipline.

Step:1 Accept (You have)

Step:2 Plan of Action:
a. Go see your doctor, get your blood pressure and blood works. Get a baseline of your chol/fats.
b.Trainer/Working Work

Step:3 Finances
-Proper Nutrition COSTS alot of money. (350+ a month)
-Proper Training COSTS alot of money. (I'm not talking about 24/LA fitness trainers.. those guys are put in a 2 week course and they start to train..)

Step:4 Are you mentally ready?
-If no: Don't waste your time and effort.
If yes: I can give up sodas, juices, pasta, rice, fatty meat, burgers, can foods, salty foods, I can eat 3-4 oz of lean meat 5-7 times a day, I can eat veggies as if its candy.. then you are partially ready.

Step:5 If I die today, who do I leave behind? Who will I burden?

If you are mentally ready to make a "Lifestyle" change, which means.. fitness becomes you're life, you can eat what I attached (and variations) 5-7 times a day, cut out sodas, pasta, fast food, fried food, make your own food daily, make your own protein shakes, cardio 4-5 times a week, and weight train 3 times a week then PM me.

I will refer you to my trainer who is a FORMER bodybuilder, he will train you, teach you how to eat, measure and test you every two weeks. His deal, you have to eat what he says, he will make you write down everything you eat, write down caloric intake, fat, carbs, protein. (You will lose wt. or else he will call you out, and punish you on the floors..)

Like a good mechanic, you travel to see the best. He is located in Laguna Niguel, his fees is 2,400.00 a year. (3X a week).

You will lose 1 lb-2lbs a week.

There is NO quick fix.. no diet juice, no miracle shakes that makes you lose weight. You can suppress your appetite, fool your brain, but the brain is smarter than that. It will eat more after to compensate.

If you are going to change your lifestyle (permanantly), can commit to him for 1 year and can eat what I eat for 1 year, and eat smart for the rest of your life, shoot me a PM. If you are looking for a quick fix, lose 40 lbs and stop working out, I won't refer you. You will gain all your weight back and more.

Good Luck,

Attachments

• Food.jpg
    Food.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 114
Hi,

I don't know you, but I feel compelled to type (and I dont post often)

I used to be 215 at 5'8. (2 years ago). I am 175 now. (1 year to accomplish this, with small hiccups---> I can eat anything now, I just eat smarter)

80% Nutrition
20% Workouts

1000% Discipline.

a. Go see your doctor, get your blood pressure and blood works. Get a baseline of your chol/fats.
b.Trainer/Working Work

-Proper Training COSTS alot of money. (I'm not talking about 24/LA fitness trainers.. those guys are put in a 2 week course and they start to train..)

If yes: I can give up sodas, juices, pasta, rice, fatty meat, burgers, can foods, salty foods, I can eat 3-4 oz of lean meat 5-7 times a day, I can eat veggies as if its candy.. then you are partially ready.

If you are mentally ready to make a "Lifestyle" change, which means.. fitness becomes you're life, you can eat what I attached (and variations) 5-7 times a day, cut out sodas, pasta, fast food, fried food, make your own food daily, make your own protein shakes, cardio 4-5 times a week, and weight train 3 times a week then PM me.

I will refer you to my trainer who is a FORMER bodybuilder, he will train you, teach you how to eat, measure and test you every two weeks. His deal, you have to eat what he says, he will make you write down everything you eat, write down caloric intake, fat, carbs, protein. (You will lose wt. or else he will call you out, and punish you on the floors..)

Like a good mechanic, you travel to see the best. He is located in Laguna Niguel, his fees is 2,400.00 a year. (3X a week).

There is NO quick fix.. no diet juice, no miracle shakes that makes you lose weight. You can suppress your appetite, fool your brain, but the brain is smarter than that. It will eat more after to compensate.

If you are going to change your lifestyle (permanantly), can commit to him for 1 year and can eat what I eat for 1 year, and eat smart for the rest of your life, shoot me a PM. If you are looking for a quick fix, lose 40 lbs and stop working out, I won't refer you. You will gain all your weight back and more.

Good Luck,

GREAT POST!!! Happen to have any before and after pics you'd be willing to share? $2400 for one year of training by an experienced trainer is an AMAZING deal and actually very very cheap compared to the 24/LA fitness trainers. I do know quite a few 24/LAfit trainers that are very good at what they do also though (couple of them are traveling with some of the Olympians this year) but the majority of them are certainly under-qualified. I agree completely that you must attack this with a desire to change a lifestyle and not just a quick fix to lose 40lbs and be done. Best of luck on your mission!

Its been 2 weeks. How many lbs are you down?

I am actually trying to lose a few myself. Been doing elliptical and some abs stuff, plus a cleaner diet for about 2 weeks now. I am down about 2 lbs.

attachment.php

That looks unappetizing. There's gotta be some middle ground...maybe a little Yoshida sauce on the meat and a cup of rice? Perhaps for those with a genetic predisposition to gaining weight it may take such extreme measures, but that diet seems rather harsh for the average Joe.

Lol, Cutco knives.

Last edited:
attachment.php

That looks unappetizing. There's gotta be some middle ground...maybe a little Yoshida sauce on the meat and a cup of rice? Perhaps for those with a genetic predisposition to gaining weight it may take such extreme measures, but that diet seems rather harsh for the average Joe.

Lol, Cutco knives.

Current Stats: 5' 7" @ 240 Lbs BMI of about 37.6

These statistic are extreme. He should be 160lbs at ideal weight. He is 80lbs over weight. I am 90% sure his cholesterol, blood pressure and HDL/LDL are off the charts.

I recommended him see his doctor, as he may need to use meds if he does have high blood pressure or diabetes (which will change this diet) This would be dangerous, and needs to be addressed immediately before any workouts, or diets.

Sauces are sometimes worst (ranch dressing). 4 spoons of dressing, is one hamburger patty in fat. So is a salad with ranch, really healthy? No.

In terms of the Costco Yoshida, 1 tablespoon is this:

1. 460mg of sodium ( thats high)
2. 8 grams of sugar (will spike your blood, and make you hungry in an hour)
3. 10g of carbs.

We know, noone uses 1 tablespoon of this sauce, especially on chicken. 3-4 is normal to marinate.

1. 460x3 -1380mg sodium (60 percent of daily allowance)(this is where high blood pressure kicks in)
2. 8x3- 24g sugar
3. 30g of carbs.

This is not good.

And yes cutco. In my opinion, only Kramers Shun Knives have out performed these. (honestly)

Last edited:
GREAT POST!!! Happen to have any before and after pics you'd be willing to share? $2400 for one year of training by an experienced trainer is an AMAZING deal and actually very very cheap compared to the 24/LA fitness trainers. I do know quite a few 24/LAfit trainers that are very good at what they do also though (couple of them are traveling with some of the Olympians this year) but the majority of them are certainly under-qualified. I agree completely that you must attack this with a desire to change a lifestyle and not just a quick fix to lose 40lbs and be done. Best of luck on your mission!

Here is my before picture. If you look closely, you can see me resting my right arm on my stomach. That's how fat I was. My jeans rolled outwards where the waistline was. (That is 215-220lbs, size 38)

The other picture is my after (4 weeks ago in Maui, 175lbs, size 32-33).
(Yes, I did have chips, alcohol, as seen on the picture... I do deserve a small break, but I also have my protein bars to help me eat 6 times a day to move my metabolism when I'm at the beach. Hard to eat 2-3 meals, or drink a shake at the beach)

I edited these pictures because I felt uncomfortable with my face online, especially the first picture. (I have no skills in Photo Shop as you can tell)

I'm not one to post pictures of myself online, but I hope it inspires at least 1 or 2 people.

Attachments

• Fat.jpg
    Fat.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Unfat.jpg
    Unfat.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Once upon a time when I was in great shape with no gut I was at 170 lbs so I don't think 160 it's realistic for my body type.

It's been touched on before, but you don't accidentally gain 70lbs, unless you had some kind of health issue, aside from the obesity.

Dramatic weight shifts are not good for your health; this includes gains, and losses. If you choose to ignore the underlying problem this is just going to repeat itself in a few months, or a few years.

Also, strictly-speaking, 10lbs in 2 weeks means you're behind target, since you stated you intention was to loose 46lbs in 8 weeks, and you're just going to plateau as time goes on. If you feel your goal can be assuaged by showing positive effort, why not take a serious, and prolonged approach, and actually change the habits which lead to this situation in a real way?

That looks unappetizing.

Once you make the choice to "eat healthy" your ability to detect flavor increases, and you can appreciate the actual tastes of food.

Something like plain chicken does have flavor, so purchasing a fresher-quality chicken will taste great, then adding a subtle flavor will enhance this taste, and a very healthy grilled chicken becomes excellent.

Compare this to a palate which is overrun by strong fillers and chemicals, where one eats a chicken covered in breading, cheese, and various sauces, and can't appreciate any of the flavors they're ingesting.

Once you make the choice to "eat healthy" your ability to detect flavor increases, and you can appreciate the actual tastes of food.

Something like plain chicken does have flavor, so purchasing a fresher-quality chicken will taste great, then adding a subtle flavor will enhance this taste, and a very healthy grilled chicken becomes excellent.

Compare this to a palate which is overrun by strong fillers and chemicals, where one eats a chicken covered in breading, cheese, and various sauces, and can't appreciate any of the flavors they're ingesting.

John,

I'm glad you're not part of the population who ask for A1 at fine steak houses.

80% Nutrition
20% Workouts

1000% Discipline.

b.Trainer/Working Work

Great post! I bolded the parts that personally resonate with me. Here are the main aspects of my normal routine that I've been following for nearly 15 years:

• no sodas (not even diet!) & caffeine (drink lots of water, and 100% pure juices instead)
  • no tobacco/alcohol/drugs
  • plant based diet w/whole grain rice & pasta whenever possible
  • no processed/fried foods
  • no dairy/cheese products (except for occasional ice cream)
  • cardio & weightlifting 3x a week
  • minimize sun exposure
I'm pretty lucky that I don't feel deprived in my diet--and I consider myself a foodie. There are enough diverse healthy and delicious foods if you keep an open mind (which is a huge problem for most Americans). I do have a sweet tooth though, but I don't sweat it as long as I keep things in moderation. I just turned 40 earlier this year, and here's a photo I took today:

abs02.jpg

Too bad you don't live closer, Adrian. I do wish I had a workout partner. I haven't had a steady one for over 5 years, and working out alone can be a drag sometimes. Plus I have to stick mostly to machines as I have no one to spot for me.

Congrats on the 10lbs weight loss and continued success with your journey.

Lots of great advice here but I will add one thing: you will gain everything back in time if you don't learn to like healthy foods and you don't do an exercise that you love doing. I am speaking from experience. Sugary and salty foods tend to create an addiction so even though that cookie may not have many calories on its own, it trains your brain to crave that refined sugar. Just cut that out.

For exercise, pick a sport you like. For me it's Jiujitsu. I can't not be on the matt and feel good long term. For you it might be tennis or basketball or swimming, but I love martial arts. If you like doing something, you'll continue to do it. A gym workout is not fun for everyone. I get crazy bored on a treadmill. But 2 hours of Jiujitsu? No problem.

Lots of great advice here but I will add one thing: you will gain everything back in time if you don't learn to like healthy foods and you don't do an exercise that you love doing. I am speaking from experience. Sugary and salty foods tend to create an addiction so even though that cookie may not have many calories on its own, it trains your brain to crave that refined sugar. Just cut that out.

For exercise, pick a sport you like. For me it's Jiujitsu. I can't not be on the matt and feel good long term. For you it might be tennis or basketball or swimming, but I love martial arts. If you like doing something, you'll continue to do it. A gym workout is not fun for everyone. I get crazy bored on a treadmill. But 2 hours of Jiujitsu? No problem.
how is you getting choked out and going to sleep exercise?

Working out is great and all. But losing weight is all about diet. IMO, working out just masks diet discipline as it affords you more calories.

I'm 6'0" and used to be 295lbs. With purely diet changes, I dropped to 170lbs (currently at 180lbs). Went from size 44 waist to size 32.

The two biggest things that contributed to my success: educating myself about food, and learning to cook (even very basically at first).

Going from 295 to 215 was entirely done by avoid fast foods and controlling my portion sizes.

215 to 170 was done on combination of Paleo, intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet.

To this day, I avoid wheat (bread) like the plague. I also minimize my intake of any grains and corn. I've kept the weight off for 2 years now.

your point needs to be emphasized.If you are exercising more and you are not losing weight you are most likely eating more,so keep a food diary,learn what caloric impact food has,and remember snacks and sugary beverages count:smile:

Working out is great and all. But losing weight is all about diet. IMO, working out just masks diet discipline as it affords you more calories.

I'm 6'0" and used to be 295lbs. With purely diet changes, I dropped to 170lbs (currently at 180lbs). Went from size 44 waist to size 32.

The two biggest things that contributed to my success: educating myself about food, and learning to cook (even very basically at first).

Going from 295 to 215 was entirely done by avoid fast foods and controlling my portion sizes.

215 to 170 was done on combination of Paleo, intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet.

To this day, I avoid wheat (bread) like the plague. I also minimize my intake of any grains and corn. I've kept the weight off for 2 years now.

What's wrong with wheat bread? Many cultures for many years have practically lived on whole grain bread, yes, white bread is crap but a good earthy whole grain is full of fiber and nutrients.

Back