• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ask Prime

Hi

Yes it will take off according to Mythbusters 6*15.

Regards

Confirmed as a Mythbusters viewer. Saw that episode.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KsdMuhYJPw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KsdMuhYJPw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If we evolved to the point where we don't really need body hair any more for warmth, then why do we all grow so much hair around our crotches? And why do some people grow bald on the top of their head, where they might actually need it, but not around their junk where there is no need for it at all?

If we evolved to the point where we don't really need body hair any more for warmth, then why do we all grow so much hair around our crotches? And why do some people grow bald on the top of their head, where they might actually need it, but not around their junk where there is no need for it at all?

The various places that still have hair are interesting, but to me the more interesting question is why we lost our "fur" to begin with. Head, pits, and crotch might just be the last remnants of an evolutionary march to complete hairlessness.

This NY Times article has some interesting points, including the exceedingly dubious "aquatic ape" hypothesis.

What do batteries run on?
I bought some batteries the other day but they weren't included, so I had to buy them again. :confused:

Why is it, when a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment? But when a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 a minute.

If you were traveling at the speed of light in your automobile and you turned on your headlights ........ would they do anything?

Problem is, if you are traveling at the speed of light, you ARE light, so this question doesn't really work.

My questions...

Who created what the big bang occurred in? (I'm interested in the atheist answers to this one as I am not a believer of any organized religions)

If you had a chance to experience the twin paradox, would you leave your life behind and take it?

from wikipedia on the definition of the twin paradox

Consider a space ship traveling from Earth to the nearest star system outside of our solar system: a distance d = 4.45 light years away, at a speed v = 0.866c (i.e., 86.6 percent of the speed of light). The Earth-based mission control reasons about the journey this way (for convenience in this thought experiment the ship is assumed to immediately attain its full speed upon departure): the round trip will take t = 2d / v = 10.28 years in Earth time (i.e. everybody on earth will be 10.28 years older when the ship returns). The amount of time as measured on the ship's clocks and the aging of the travelers during their trip will be reduced by the factor \epsilon = \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}, the reciprocal of the Lorentz factor. In this case \epsilon = 0.500 \, and the travelers will have aged only 0.500×10.28 = 5.14 years when they return.

The ship's crew members also calculate the particulars of their trip from their perspective. They know that the distant star system and the Earth are moving relative to the ship at speed v during the trip. In their rest frame the distance between the Earth and the star system is εd = 0.5d = 2.23 light years (length contraction), for both the outward and return journeys. Each half of the journey takes 2.23 / v = 2.57 years, and the round trip takes 2×2.57 = 5.14 years. Their calculations show that they will arrive home having aged 5.14 years. The travelers' final calculation is in complete agreement with the calculations of those on Earth, though they experience the trip quite differently.

If a pair of twins are born on the day the ship leaves, and one goes on the journey while the other stays on Earth, they will meet again when the traveler is 5.14 years old and the stay-at-home twin is 10.28 years old. The calculation illustrates the usage of the phenomenon of length contraction and the experimentally verified phenomenon of time dilation to describe and calculate consequences and predictions of Einstein's special theory of relativity.

It's one of my favorite natural phenomenons as it just doesn't seem right but it actually would occur.

Even crazier, consider this situation:

You have a child that is 5 years old, you make the same style of trip as described above but travel much closer to the speed of light, so much closer that the time dilation is actually much greater. You could actually return from the trip "younger" than your own child.

Seems far fetched but that is how our universe works, and this has been proven just as thoroughly as many of the technologies that we use on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Hi

There is a thin line between being a neigbourhoodwatch and becoming a vigilante.

It's a line you cross when you buy a cape.

Why does not anyone that has a optischen store have the firm logo in a blurry font? That would increase sales.

Do you think that when a stripper gets home from a hard day undressing says "ahh more work"?

When you have a out of body expirence you are beside youself.

Regards

If it's zero degrees outside today and it's supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is it going to be? :confused:

Kind of like this genie who came along and offered me anything I wanted but my enemy would get twice what I received. I asked for a billion dollars and to be beaten half to death.

You're smarter than I am. I asked the genie to make me blind in one eye.

Back