• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ask Prime

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

Why is zero pluralized when it is not more than one? eg zero dollars, or zero bucks.

- Are human beings innately good?

- Do ghosts really exist?

If you were traveling at the speed of light in your automobile and you turned on your headlights ........ would they do anything?

Thinking caps time, now. I’ve thought of writing Ask Marilyn with this one.
Have you ever noticed what happens when there is a puddle of water or spot of grease lying in a one-way lane? Cars will roll over the spot and pick up some of it, carry it around on the tire, and then “print” another spot about 6 ft away.
Or, at least, that’s what should happen. What actually does happen is that the spot gets printed, after many cars have passed, about one foot away. And then, after another foot, another print. And so on. I don’t have any pictures of this phenomenon but I see it all the time.
Next time you cross the road, look at the tar spots that have been picked up, and you’ll see. Note the distance from the first print to the source.
The obvious answer is that smaller tires will do that. But one-foot-in-circumference tires? How many tiny-tired things are rolling down the street?
There could be some sort of sophisticated transference between vehicles of varying tire sizes, picking up transferred spots and then laying them down in odd patterns. But it doesn’t explain how the initial print gets made a foot (or so) away.
Think I’m kidding? Check for yourself. You’ll never look at an expansion joint or a road kill the same way again.

You and I will get along just fine. Your post is the exact type of things I ponder often. Things that seem to make no sense but are in fact real. You know...send that to myth busters or that super slow-mo tv show.

Thinking caps time, now. I’ve thought of writing Ask Marilyn with this one.
Have you ever noticed what happens when there is a puddle of water or spot of grease lying in a one-way lane? Cars will roll over the spot and pick up some of it, carry it around on the tire, and then “print” another spot about 6 ft away.
Or, at least, that’s what should happen. What actually does happen is that the spot gets printed, after many cars have passed, about one foot away. And then, after another foot, another print. And so on. I don’t have any pictures of this phenomenon but I see it all the time.
Next time you cross the road, look at the tar spots that have been picked up, and you’ll see. Note the distance from the first print to the source.
The obvious answer is that smaller tires will do that. But one-foot-in-circumference tires? How many tiny-tired things are rolling down the street?
There could be some sort of sophisticated transference between vehicles of varying tire sizes, picking up transferred spots and then laying them down in odd patterns. But it doesn’t explain how the initial print gets made a foot (or so) away.
Think I’m kidding? Check for yourself. You’ll never look at an expansion joint or a road kill the same way again.

Here is what is probably happening. If the car tire is accelerating hard, the tire is most likely slipping during and/or after it has made contact with the puddle, tar, paint, road kill etc. That tire will then slip (rotate yet not travel very far along the road) to where the tire has rotated fully in a much shorter distance than the circumference of the tire. Tires slip all the time but they so gradual, you hardly notice them. Example, when you go around a turn, the inside tires travel much less than the outside tires yet travel at the same speed (on many cars). How can that inside tire spin at the same speed but travel less distance? Heck just take one fat tire on a fixed axel and bend it around a turn, the inside part of that tire is moving less than the outside part of that tire yet it is rotating at the same speed. It's slip. The wheel or the part of the wheel on the inside part of the curve is slipping much more than the outside part, however, you don't actually feel the slippage.

Well the same can occur on a straight line as well, the tire can actually slip considerably and gradually so that it will actually spin a full rotation in less than the circumference of the wheel. That would explain why this phenomenon occurs on things like puddles, tar, paint, road kill etc. things that would probably cause your tire to slip every so little as you pass over them and the traction control system and/or tires catch up. This would probably be exaggerated on the tire that is under acceleration (i.e. FWD, RWD) so then the tires would be out of sequence. Then as the sets of tires rotate out of sequence a set of close together patterns could appear. Or the wheels could be a staggered sized setup (like the NSX) and it would be a function of the stagger and distance between the wheel that would set the distance between the front and rear tire marks.

If you have the time and space, give it a shot. Put some slippery stuff on the road, and while travelling 40 mph accelerate hard over that spot. Then go back and drive over that spot at a 10 mph coast. I bet that the spot of the residual tire mark will be different between the two passes.

Why is there not another word for Thesauraus?

Hi

What happens if you spill carpet cleaner?

If a amnesiac got alzheimer would they forget they couldn't remember anything?

If you grandmother falls when she is alone does she make a sound?

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Regards

Last edited:
Back