• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Audi R8

Ok. Everyone knows I love the NSX but I am also critical of Honda's lack of commitment and letting the car dwindle.
I saw my first R8 running down the road in real life yesterday. All I could muttered was "WOW"!:eek:
I know a lot of people judge it by its look on paper. I also was not crazy about its photos. But in real life, it has the stance and presence that the NSX just cannot match. I am simply stating a personal opinion. When that R8 passed me, the sound, vibration, and the visual impact were just incredible. If it proofs to be a reliable car in a few years, a used one will probably be the NSX replacement for me.
Steve

I've seen a couple of R8's on the road here, and felt it looked like an Audi TT with fairy headlights. I respect it's power and ability, but it didn't blow me away.

The NSX on the other hand.... :D

I guess it just goes to show each to their own.

The NSX is still stunning in comparison to the R8. R8 looks "froggy" to me.

CARPhotoShootNovember013.jpg

Taken from this thread

steve,

an r8 and i passed one another the other day and i've gotta say i was impressed, also. i'm a honda guy but found myself thinking, "gee, that might be fun."

time will tell.

It might be fun, but it wont give that umpphh feeling that a Gallardo or Diablo will for a few thousand more.

"It might be fun, but it wont give that umpphh feeling that a Gallardo or Diablo will for a few thousand more"
I agree, that is why I bought a G. Used G's (and perhaps some Diablo's) are cheaper than a over MSRP R-8 you see these days. R-8 prices will drop fast when and if the V-10 is out, (09 from what I read) why buy an V-8 when you can have a V-10 G!

"It might be fun, but it wont give that umpphh feeling that a Gallardo or Diablo will for a few thousand more"
I agree, that is why I bought a G. Used G's (and perhaps some Diablo's) are cheaper than a over MSRP R-8 you see these days. R-8 prices will drop fast when and if the V-10 is out, (09 from what I read) why buy an V-8 when you can have a V-10 G!

Lovely,

Can't wait till I can upgrade. Gallardo's and Diablos will not really depreciate any more I am certain the R8 will dip below 85K in 1.5 years time.

The R8 was infact marketed for those who could not afford a Gallardo, hence the motor and price.

I've seen one about the island and aesthetically I'm not very impressed. From the side view it looks almost like a new Nissan (can't remember if it's the Sentra or Altima)

+2. I think a used G is the next logical step up from an NSX right now. And as long as it's got the updated sintered clutch I think they are very reliable too. Lucky. You already got yours.

There was a black one running around the track at Laguna Seca during the ALMS event held there. When I first saw it, it was out of the corner of my eye and I thought it was a 350Z and paid it no mind. On the next lap I realized it was an R8 and thought to myself... that's it? (as in, that's all there is to it?) I was not impressed. I also got to stand next to it when it was finished lapping. Again, it just doesn't do it for me. All I could think was, "eh... big deal..."

J

One of my wife's clients reportedly took delivery of the first one here on the West Coast quite a few months ago (there was even a newspaper article about him and the car in the Daily Pilot).

He's a real car guy (has several vintage F cars as well as a few vintage Aston Martins to compliment his F430 spyder, Lotus Elise, and MB SL AMG).

He was cool enough to let my wife and I have a ride and drive and while the car is extremely impressive (man does it sound good!) I couldn't see myself driving one.

I'm still not sold on the looks (the "blades" are odd to me) and I'm completely put off by the huge premium that most Audi dealers are asking and getting.

But I completely agree that the car is a huge slap in Honda's face. As several prominent mag's have pointed out the R8 is clearly the successor to the NSX as a usable, reliable, mid-engined exotic and while Honda is playing with it's ass... Audi has delivered a world class product to market.

But I completely agree that the car is a huge slap in Honda's face. As several prominent mag's have pointed out the R8 is clearly the successor to the NSX as a usable, reliable, mid-engined exotic and while Honda is playing with it's ass... Audi has delivered a world class product to market.

Its never a slap when Honda caused the automotive industry to rethink how they make cars. We are comparing an extinct car to a new car, the new car should be better, it has yet to prove itself as reliable or have longevity.

The R8 is definitely on my list as a possible purchase in a few years, once the prices drop to reasonable levels. I don't think it would replace my NSX, but I would be happy to own both.

The R8 is definitely on my list as a possible purchase in a few years, once the prices drop to reasonable levels. I don't think it would replace my NSX, but I would be happy to own both.

I wouldn't mind, I can never own an All-wheel drive car unless it is an SUV.

Its never a slap when Honda caused the automotive industry to rethink how they make cars. We are comparing an extinct car to a new car, the new car should be better, it has yet to prove itself as reliable or have longevity.

I disagree completely.

It is a slap when Honda changed the game and then sat on their laurels for 20+ years.

Honda should be embarressed... they created the Japanese luxury genre with the Acura brand and now they're really not even in the same league as Infiniti... let alone Lexus.

Moreover, they forced Porsche, Ferrari, and others to really rethink the high end sports car game with the original NSX and now the only RWD sports car they even offer for sale is the awesome but very long in the tooth S2000.

I loved my S2K's and I really loved my NSX but get real... Honda has lost its way.

I like the blades. For $1500 you can change them out and have a totally new look. I think the R8 would look so much better with some massive lipped wheels.

You can have them painted or in exposed carbon fibre. Either way the "piece" that makes up the blade doesn't change and to my eye... it's an odd styling note.

But to each their own.

I loved my S2K's and I really loved my NSX but get real... Honda has lost its way.

The Nsx has been out of action for only 3 years now, most auto makers take a 5-10 year absence before introducing their new baby. During the course of the last 10 years I have not seen anything that makes me say "wow" beside 2-3 supercars breaking the 250mph barrier.

Since I don't see myself downgrading anytime soon from an exotic Nsx to a ugly GTR, I will wait and see, there is always Lambo and Fcars to test out.

The Nsx has been out of action for only 3 years now, most auto makers take a 5-10 year absence before introducing their new baby.

Out of action for three years but only after being in production an absolute eternity of 15 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the typical "lifespan" of a Japanese car (Toyota/Honda/Nissan) is 4-6 years. 17 years (NSX) or 8 years (S2000) is an eternity.

Honda could have stayed ahead of the game and should have had a successor to the NSX waiting in the wings nearly 10-years ago. The fact that even today there is no clear cut plan for a new NSX is absurd.

I agree you need to see the R8 live to apreciate the gestalt,It is an audi,but to me the proportions are wrong,roofline too tall ,front and rear overhangs too abrupt,the blade:confused: The surfacing is also not too interesting.

Last edited:
I didn't like the looks in print, but when a white on pulled up next to me on the fwy and then passed, I had a new appreciation for the R8. Now that I've seen it on the road, I like it. It looks really good in white.

I saw one the other day, I really like it. It looks like it sits fairly low to the ground too. I think it, as other cars, make the NSX look more dated year year inmho. The lines looks very good.

I regret dogging it down. Other than price, weight, and reputation of electrical issues with Audi, I think it is a very strong contendor to the NSX for someone looking to buy a mid-engine car, and not do a Ferrari...

The Nsx has been out of action for only 3 years now, most auto makers take a 5-10 year absence before introducing their new baby. During the course of the last 10 years I have not seen anything that makes me say "wow" beside 2-3 supercars breaking the 250mph barrier.

Since I don't see myself downgrading anytime soon from an exotic Nsx to a ugly GTR, I will wait and see, there is always Lambo and Fcars to test out.

"Its never a slap when Honda caused the automotive industry to rethink how they make cars. We are comparing an extinct car to a new car, the new car should be better, it has yet to prove itself as reliable or have longevity."
I don't know of any automaker that takes 5-10 years between their flagships. Either one wants to play the game or not even bother. To say that going to an "ugly GTR" from an "exotic NSX" is a downgrade certainly is your personal opinion but I know a lot of car guys will strongly disagree. To me my NSX has nothing over the GTR except for its pretty face. And I don't even think the NSX is that pretty. The GTR spanks my "exotic" NSX from start to finish. The GTR is winning respects with its substance and the team that worked so diligently to have created such an automotive marvel. The same arrogance Ferrari had back in the 80s and early 90s is certainly shared by some current NSX owners and Honda executives. That is, the name "ferrari" was so great that they could build turds and the Ferrari slaves would slurp them up. Honda changed that attitude in 1991 and detracted many would be 348 owners to buy the NSX. Then of course, a few Ferrari snobs brushed the NSX off as some wannabe. Now I see a lot of the same snobbish attitude among a few NSX owners. Yes, the NSX is a great car and that's why I have owned a few. But in year of 2005 while NSX was still in production, a car that packs similar NSX performance is certainly respectable but nothing spectacular. To be hailed as a Honda flagships after 15 years of production and self proclaimed product of the ever dedicated car maker, the later NSXs were simply embarrassing among other business-as-usual performance car.
15 years to be relatively unchanged reflects the same Ferrari's arrogance among the Honda team. "Our NSX is so great that our shit does not stink." Now many car companies have built many wonderful cars over the past 2 decades and this "ugly" GTR came out and spanks almost everything on the road and you brushed it off as a "downgrade" from your "EXOTIC NSX".
I don't know how many people share your sentiment. But I cringed and I am sure a few fellow NSX owners would be quite embarrassed by that attitude.
I do agree with you that the GTR is ugly especially my wife pointed out that the GTR with its different colored nose looks like a smaller car covered by some test mule panels. I probably will not buy a GTR but I never know if one day I would get passed that "ugliness" and would award myself with such a marvelous machine. To me it would be an absolute upgrade.
As a car guy, I can talk all day about upgrading to a Ferrari(no, I don't mean a 308, 328, 348, or a 355), it means absolutely NOTHING when one does not have the means to do so. For me, the current Ferraris are simply not within my car budget. A used R8 would be a good target for me in a few years. Hey, if the Honda guys finally pull their heads out of their asses, maybe I have another Honda car to consider instead of the R8 someday. But for now, Honda is not a contender, not even close.
Steve

"Its never a slap when Honda caused the automotive industry to rethink how they make cars. We are comparing an extinct car to a new car, the new car should be better, it has yet to prove itself as reliable or have longevity."
I don't know of any automaker that takes 5-10 years between their flagships. Either one wants to play the game or not even bother. To say that going to an "ugly GTR" from an "exotic NSX" is a downgrade certainly is your personal opinion but I know a lot of car guys will strongly disagree. To me my NSX has nothing over the GTR except for its pretty face. And I don't even think the NSX is that pretty. The GTR spanks my "exotic" NSX from start to finish. The GTR is winning respects with its substance and the team that worked so diligently to have created such an automotive marvel. The same arrogance Ferrari had back in the 80s and early 90s is certainly shared by some current NSX owners and Honda executives. That is, the name "ferrari" was so great that they could build turds and the Ferrari slaves would slurp them up. Honda changed that attitude in 1991 and detracted many would be 348 owners to buy the NSX. Then of course, a few Ferrari snobs brushed the NSX off as some wannabe. Now I see a lot of the same snobbish attitude among a few NSX owners. Yes, the NSX is a great car and that's why I have owned a few. But in year of 2005 while NSX was still in production, a car that packs similar NSX performance is certainly respectable but nothing spectacular. To be hailed as a Honda flagships after 15 years of production and self proclaimed product of the ever dedicated car maker, the later NSXs were simply embarrassing among other business-as-usual performance car.
15 years to be relatively unchanged reflects the same Ferrari's arrogance among the Honda team. "Our NSX is so great that our shit does not stink." Now many car companies have built many wonderful cars over the past 2 decades and this "ugly" GTR came out and spanks almost everything on the road and you brushed it off as a "downgrade" from your "EXOTIC NSX".
I don't know how many people share your sentiment. But I cringed and I am sure a few fellow NSX owners would be quite embarrassed by that attitude.
I do agree with you that the GTR is ugly especially my wife pointed out that the GTR with its different colored nose looks like a smaller car covered by some test mule panels. I probably will not buy a GTR but I never know if one day I would get passed that "ugliness" and would award myself with such a marvelous machine. To me it would be an absolute upgrade.
As a car guy, I can talk all day about upgrading to a Ferrari(no, I don't mean a 308, 328, 348, or a 355), it means absolutely NOTHING when one does not have the means to do so. For me, the current Ferraris are simply not within my car budget. A used R8 would be a good target for me in a few years. Hey, if the Honda guys finally pull their heads out of their asses, maybe I have another Honda car to consider instead of the R8 someday. But for now, Honda is not a contender, not even close.
Steve

I stated the GTR is very fast and I respect your views and taste. For myself being super picky from my cloths to food to cars and some purist would agree its to heavy, maybe racers will chime in and complain about racing an an wheel drive car and how awful it feels without being to slide the rear in the turns. I like to get into a car and feel that its extraordinary and enjoy life, am I supposed to get that sensation in a saloon or a hefter front engine car with all wheel drive?

The Nsx is an "Experimental car" it was never produced as a flag ship model to make record sales but to boast Honda's Image, Honda knew it would lose money after the first two years.

Corvette is very fast now but people are not jumping like David Lee Roth over them and they are lighter than the GTR for about the same price.

All mission was accomplished by Honda/Nsx all goals meet, will nissan be able to say the same about the GTR and will people call it as special as everyone does of the NSX?

Back