• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Automatic Transmission Clutch Upgrade

was going to give an update tomorrow when I could clean it up and put a few miles on it.
major problem. drove approximately 50 miles, parked it in the driveway, went out a few hours later and it drove 1/2 mile and transmission stopped working. extremely pissed about this. doing exactly the same thing it did before I shipped it to level 10.
symptoms before it went to them was slippage and would only move in reverse. now, it won't move in any gear. dammit!!!!!!!!!!!
mechanic here in atlanta and level 10 are both closed on the weekend.

just got off the phone with Eiffel at nsx repair and pat at level 10 after sending videos of problems.
flatbedding it back to Eiffel for diagnosis. if it can't be remedied here, pat is going to have the entire car shipped to him from atlanta to nj at his expense for repairs. hope it doesn't come to this but at least have peace of mind that all parties are working to fix this!

vehicle is being picked up today or tomorrow. on its way to level 10 in nj

I wonder if it is the AT computer? The capacitors on all of the NSX circuit boards seem to be bursting around the 25-year mark (CCU, Gauge Cluster, Fan Control, etc.). Might be worth opening it up to inspect the boards. It seems really strange that a freshly rebuilt trans would simply stop selecting gears after working fine for 50 miles. The issue feels like an electric/computer one, right?

If the fluid is not burnt, then there is a high likelihood of a control issue, not a mechanical one.

It takes highly specific knowledge, abilities, time, and equipment to diagnose an AT transmission control issue.

You are probably going to have to get that knowledge, ability, equipment and put in the time yourself.

Used AT computers are at give away prices. Solenoids are easy to monitor with a salvaged T harness at connector C499.

automatic tranny problems

thanks for all the recommendations. not sure if it's electronic or mechanical in nature. Eiffel spoke to pat at level 10 and I believe tried to pull codes. I guess there weren't any and pat said the only way to fix this is for the vehicle to be at his shop. he didn't seem to think it was electronic because of the way the transmission was behaving. hopefully, pat can diagnosis it quickly. he's paying for transportation in both directions and seemed to think it can be remedied quickly. trying to remain optimistic.

you are 100% correct!
just awaiting word on when it'll be picked up.

truck showed up last night to pick up the car. open carrier and my car would be on the bottom exposed to rocks and salty snow. I refused it. called level 10 and they're lining up an enclosed carrier with a roll on ramp. agent that set up the transport but wasn't advised what type of car it was

truck showed up last night to pick up the car. open carrier and my car would be on the bottom exposed to rocks and salty snow. I refused it. called level 10 and they're lining up an enclosed carrier with a roll on ramp. agent that set up the transport but wasn't advised what type of car it was

Ugh- sorry, man. I would have flipped out when I saw the open carrier.

never even saw the carrier. out of courtesy, he phoned me and explained his truck. he even said he wouldn't transport my car on it. glad he called. that's when I refused and agreed with him.
waiting for a call from the enclosed transport co.

automatic transmission

car just picked up and enroute to level 10/nj

pat from level 10 called. car just arrived and is inside the shop. anxiously awaiting a call to give me an update.

tranny update

pat said the main drive drum that encapsulates the clutches has cracked. he said he's never seen one fail before. crack can't be seen and leaks only when under pressure.
transmission has been rebuilt again, parts replaced, tranny back in car and waiting for snow to melt so the car can be road tested. car will be loaded on an enclosed carrier and shipped out next Tuesday.
we'll see what happens.
can't wait to get it back on the road here in ga.

Thanks for the report. I can understand it’s an awful experience to go through. I appreciate that you give real reports regarding your experience. Best wishes.

tranny update

thanks!
i'll upload some pics when I figure how to download from my phone.

car left nj yesterday and on her way home. pat says it's working perfectly. we'll see!

vehicle just arrived. took her for a 20 mile shakedown cruise and it seems to be working perfectly. so excited to get it back, I forgot to video it being unloaded. what's the best way to download iPhone pics to prime?

thanks! it sure feels great to have my butt back in the seat again.

just took her for a 120 mile roundtrip. working perfectly. put new tein coilovers on while it was at eiffel's. now I see why everyone complains about these. it bounces like an old car with worn out shocks.
can't say enough about how I was treated by pat at level 10. if anyone had trepidations about dealing with him, rest assured he's 100% reliable.

just took her for a 120 mile roundtrip. working perfectly. put new tein coilovers on while it was at eiffel's. now I see why everyone complains about these. it bounces like an old car with worn out shocks.
can't say enough about how I was treated by pat at level 10. if anyone had trepidations about dealing with him, rest assured he's 100% reliable.

THANKS!!!! I have a 91 Auto also, and I know sooner of later it will need transmission work. I live in NJ, so kind of great that he is in my area just in case I need any work done. Thanks again for recommending Pat.......hope I don't need to test his expertise anytime soon. I have done a lot of work on my car doing maintenance items.....did the ABS upgrade and am having difficulties with bleeding it......enjoy your NSX!

Back