• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Awesome! Now to get the ideas churning...

Thanks, Prime, for creating this forum.

Here are some of my thoughts for optimizing NA performance for our beloved cars, without tearing into the bottom end of the motor:

Airbox/Intakes/Throttle Body
I am encouraged by Prospeed's recent offering of an "alternatively plumbed" intake system. It has 2 of the 3 features (3.5-inch diameter piping, longer total pipe length) I always thought should have gone into such a system (the one feature it does not have is an integrated bell-mouth/velocity stack, but unfortunately there is simply no space for one).

There is still, IMO, a lot to be gained on the throttle body side. There are a few vendors that offer a boring-out service, but that is a band-aid, at best. The factor TB has a 68 mm opening that tapers down to 64 mm at the plate. This is simply not big enough. The limiting factor here is the size of the snout on the intake manifold that the TB bolts onto. However, others that were willing to do a little welding have retrofitted larger TBs onto their manifolds.

Bottom Line: I believe there is about 15 wHP to be found a properly designed and built intake system, along with a "proper" sized throttle body.

Intake Manifold/ITBs
Rahim (96cxt) is the only member here with proof of the benefits of porting the intake manifold. I am having my intake manifold ported, and will try my best to provide documentation (flow bench #s, and dyno testing) of how much the intake manifold can be improved upon.

There is also the (long shot) possibility of having a skilled fabricator come up with a no-compromise design from scratch. Some of the features I would include on my design are:

• Long runners with individual/integrated bell-mouths
  • At least 4.0L of plenum volume
  • 2 plenums (one for each "bank"), each with a centrally-located throttle body
  • No square ("sharp") corners
  • Relocated fuel injector ports

The verdict on individual throttle bodies ("ITBs") is ambiguous at best right now. I don't have any interest in running them, nor do I have the resources ($$$) to design and test a bunch of them to find the optimal setup with respect to horn length, width, and orientation.

Bottom Line: I believe there is about 8-12 wHP to be found in a ported and gutted intake manifold, and probably much more power to be found a redesigned piece.

Camshafts/Valvetrain
I think it's an absolute shame that no one has stepped up to make an affordable (cast) camshaft set for the NSX. The factory 10.2 mm/0.401 inch (intake) and 9.0 mm/0.354 inch (exhaust) VTEC lobes on the C30/C32 are, TIMID at best, when compared to what the B-series Hondas are able to run. As a point of reference, the Civic Type R (CTR) cams feature 11.5 mm/0.453 inch lift (intake) and 10.5 mm/0.413 inch lift (exhaust).

Based on the piston speeds of a 78-mm stroked C30 motor, it should be able to rev happily to 8500+ RPM. Yet, NA NSXs typically tap out at 7200 RPM. My research suggests that this is all due to the cam profiles.

Cylinder Heads
The KEY to power in any gasoline/piston engine. Honda heads flow great, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved upon. This will be one of my next projects, and will include flow bench testing, analysis, and dyno testing.

Bottom Line: Combined, there is probably 25-40 wHP to be found in a proper camshaft/cylinder head combination.

More to come!

Last edited:
Hopefully there's more interest in NA power now that there's a forum. :)

The verdict on individual throttle bodies ("ITBs") is ambiguous at best right now. I don't have any interest in running them, nor do I have the resources ($$$) to design and test a bunch of them to find the optimal setup with respect to horn length, width, and orientation.

FWIW, performance goals will dictate the ideal setup for ITBs. i.e. intake runner length being the main thing. Width will be difficult to change as a variable unless someone wants to open them up a few mm.

VERY interesting post.

I have been looking into improving the NA output of the NSX engine for a long time. Unfortunately, I simply do no have enough knowledge nor the experience to be able to comment on your ideas.
That said, I did read a lot about the subject.
There was/used to be a very long read on the internet that was posted a long time ago about tracking the NSX using all kinds of tricks to maximize the NA output.
It did involve changing the cams, valves, valvesprings, using ajustable cam gears (good for at 10-15 HP) and stuff like that.
I just can't find it at the moment because I can't remember the name.

I know user 3.0 used to run a NA NSX with high lift camshafts and I know Greenberet has been running Comptech cams since '95 and he managed to even do a GPS measure 300 kph with a NA engine.

Looking forwared to what you come up with.

I have my eye on the Yahoo! Japan auctions...unfortunately the Toda cams haven't moved from their 365,000 Yen price. And that doesn't include the Toda valvesprings! :eek:

Maybe this will be of interest:)

Assembly12.jpg

We have been working on this for a while now. It will be for both NA and FI. CNC billet aluminum, carbon trumpets, variable runners, design aided by CFD. In the coming months we should have a 3d model printed out on our RP machine. This is just a teaser shot from our early design phase.

Assembly12.jpg

We have been working on this for a while now. It will be for both NA and FI. CNC billet aluminum, carbon trumpets, variable runners, design aided by CFD. In the coming months we should have a 3d model printed out on our RP machine. This is just a teaser shot from our early design phase.

images

Don't play games with the 90mm throttle body. If you're going to go through the trouble, go big. :)

ZR-1 throttle body adapted to the NSX intake manifold:

Monster_TB2.jpg

I'd happily donate it's use for testing purposes to someone trustworthy if the occasion arises.

Assembly12.jpg

Now you're speaking my language. Can you talk a little bit about how you're going to vary the length of the intake runners? Working variable runners are straight out of the F1 playbook and would be the pinnacle of an NA engine. Would you be placing the injectors above the trumpets?

Woot!

anyone like the 90MM throttle body idea? take a look:

nikey22: Been there, tried it. It doesn't fit...the Q45 TB is actually 83 mm at the opening, and tapers down to 80 mm at the plate. The problem is that the largest part of the NSX intake manifold snout is 74-75 mm.

We figured out that the only way GT-ROM was able to get the Q45 TB to fit was to use an adapter plate, but that it has to taper down to the OEM 68 mm size. We decided that that much of a taper is too drastic, and counterproductive.

I'd be happy to test it...though it might end up permanently "stuck" to my intake manifold. :biggrin:

Don't play games with the 90mm throttle body. If you're going to go through the trouble, go big. :)

ZR-1 throttle body adapted to the NSX intake manifold:

Monster_TB2.jpg

I'd happily donate it's use for testing purposes to someone trustworthy if the occasion arises.

Do tell & please keep us updated if/when it happens.

Although I currently run a 3.0L CTSC, my next motor will be N/A. Shad @ Driving Ambition has been discussing with me a street/track oriented N/A 4.0L which should produce 450 - 500rwhp, depending on octane. What a beast!

Awsome thread, subscribed, i have a felling this will encourage folks to start pushing na performance including manufacturers/fabricators.
Ok now who is going to be shaving theire heads to the limit?:biggrin:

I want all the above, keep it coming boys we are all interested in this

Although I currently run a 3.0L CTSC, my next motor will be N/A. Shad @ Driving Ambition has been discussing with me a street/track oriented N/A 4.0L which should produce 450 - 500rwhp, depending on octane. What a beast!

I'll let you finance the R&D so I can buy the 2nd example :wink:

RDX injectors seems like pretty good bang for N/A buck.

RDX injectors are a great bang for the buck. A lot easier than swapping to a 3.2L. :biggrin:

Bump (I also updated my original post).

Back