• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

backup camera wiring?

I like to mount the camera above the license plate and connect to the reverse light. I searched but could not find any pictures how people went through the trunk and pass the engine bay. I would prefer to not have to drill any holes. TIA

I like to mount the camera above the license plate and connect to the reverse light. I searched but could not find any pictures how people went through the trunk and pass the engine bay. I would prefer to not have to drill any holes. TIA

There are pass-thru grommets along the left side of the engine bay where the factory phone lines were (most likely).

Here is the wiring harness used by the cell phone option. Looks like it passes through the firewall and one other location.

View attachment 158377

Last edited:
There are grommets on both the top of the passenger sides. Cabin side, I poked a small hole where the main engine harness goes. Trunk side, there's a smaller grommet on the top with a single cable or something is where I ran my backup wires. Not hard at all. Just need to peel back the panels and the carpets.

I used the cable that is used for the CD Changer. I bought DIN connectors but surprisingly they were a slightly different size and didn't fit as an assembly so on the female end of the cable I just inserted individual pins that I took out of the connectors I bought (I used two wires in the CD cable for each wire I needed, just because there were enough wires to do it) and on the male end (under the console, I just used some small heat shrink tubing to connect bare wires to the pins.

Junsun-Rear-View-Camera-Intelligent-DynamicTrajectory-Tracks-Reverse-Backup-Camera-Waterproof-pa.jpg

This is the backup camera I got, I was going to attach it with the double sided sticker it came with above the licence plate and run the wire through the hole where the wires for the license plate lights are into the trunk.
The only difficult part is getting by the rubber seal into the trunk. Any other suggestions?

View attachment 158562

This is the backup camera I got, I was going to attach it with the double sided sticker it came with above the licence plate and run the wire through the hole where the wires for the license plate lights are into the trunk.
The only difficult part is getting by the rubber seal into the trunk. Any other suggestions?

Assuming the plug is too big to fit through the seal, you can probably cut the wire, stick it through the rubber seal, then reconnect the wire. I plan on doing something like this eventually so I'd like to see your results.

IMG_0902[1].jpg

IMG_0899[1].jpg

As sugguested by others, I peeled back the seals in the rear lights for the license plate light and the seal in the engine bay in the middle.
My camera came had a chip in the middle of the wires but the case comes off to make it easier to fit through the seal. The top panel in behind the seat comes off to see the seal.
My only problem is the wiring. I spliced both the red/black wire and the green/black on the reverse light but got no power to the camera when I put it in reverse. The reverse light does come on so I am splicing the wrong wire?
IMG_0900[1].jpg

From the first picture, it looks like you didn't run the wire through the grommet. You should because over time it will rub against the metal body and cause a short. The grommet protects and isolates the wire from any metal contact.

I think your problem is the splice you're using. It's not the best. Do you have a test light to verify that current is going to the camera wiring? I like to use Posi-Tap connectors. I know they're more expensive but they work much better. https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-Con...rds=posi-taps&qid=1560263537&s=gateway&sr=8-1

you can probably find them cheaper on eBay if you're willing to wait for shipping from China. Check out the link in my signature for the DIY android as I also installed a reverse camera.

It was the green/black wire however, the reverse camera would not work unless the car engine is on in reverse gear. I wasted many hours trying to figure out why it would not come on when I had the ignition in the on position in reverse gear and the backup lights came on but the camera would not come on.

The other problem I have is the camera shakes alot mounted above the license plate because my exhaust/headers makes the back bumper vibrate. So I can either accept the shaking videos which does not help when backing up or mount it somewhere else.

It was the green/black wire however, the reverse camera would not work unless the car engine is on in reverse gear. I wasted many hours trying to figure out why it would not come on when I had the ignition in the on position in reverse gear and the backup lights came on but the camera would not come on.

The other problem I have is the camera shakes alot mounted above the license plate because my exhaust/headers makes the back bumper vibrate. So I can either accept the shaking videos which does not help when backing up or mount it somewhere else.

Glad you got the wiring figured out. What was the problem?

As for the vibrations, what exhaust are you running? I have a Comptech and my setup does not have any noticeable vibration.

I had the backup lights come on while the engine was not on and tested the connection with a multimeter and got 12v but the back up camera did not come on and I did this multiple times. Then I turn the engine on and put in reverse and the camera came on. It was strange

Comptech headers and GT One 5.1, intake, k&n air filter, high flow cats. Makes the steering wheel vibrate sometimes

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Junsun-10-...547521?hash=item442a8b4981:g:HZUAAOSwZhtbwYZh

This is what I have. The point of it is having 4G connection and be able to monitor and track the car. But the bad point is the battery in the mirror last maybe half a day if not driven. This is problem when backing up because it takes 1 minute for it to boot up. Perhaps the ones without 4G the battery will last longer.

Other options are apps for your cell phone to be used as a dash cam w/ wireless back camera.

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on the wiring for the backup camera to the reverse lights? Sounds like I tap the wire from the backup camera to the green/black wire? Can anyone confirm this?

TIA

Perhaps a bit late but if not it is indeed possible to use the 8 Din cable from the old CD changer for a backup camera.

I just installed a Pioneer ND-BC010 backup camera to my Pioneer head unit using the cable last weekend.

Instead of splicing into the OEM cable, I bought a male and female 262 degree adapters as suggested in the post below and soldered wires to them.

:: 262 degree adapters

The pictures showed that I have 3 wires but I ended up using 4:
1- video
2 - ground
3 - acc power
4 - backup lamp (for automatically changing screen to backup camera view), green/black wire on backup lamp

Attachments

• IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 6
Back