• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bank of America and my nightmare

So on a side note YAY! the firewall is down and nsxprime is available at work today!

Back to topic

So I get paid on the 28th of Sept (friday) as usual, monday i get a call from visa fraud protection asking me to verify some charges. I havent made any charges yet... So they list them off and I tell them NO i didnt make those. They cancel my card numbers and freeze my accounts to stop anymore charges from being applied. I call my bank, turns out someone got ahold of my debit card/credit card info and took my account from 1700$ paycheck to -400$ in 2 days. And my credit card is maxed out... Of course this has to happen in the middle of my trying to close on my first house. So the bank freezes my cards and my accounts BUT wont do anything until all the charges actually clear! I have to actually pay for all the crap this person bought with my money before BoA will do anything about it. So then I wait the 2 weeks (BoA is very very slow..) for them to clear, then they finally send me the paperwork to sign saying yes its fraud, so i sign and turn that in. Now i get to wait up to 90 days for this investigation to go thru before They will refund the money to my account.

After all this I've decided to cancel my BoA accounts and I've opened new ones with USAA. This has been a horrible mess and I hope no one from nsxprime ever has to deal with this kind of crap. :mad:

Sorry to hear about that. Good move switching to USAA though. Haven't had anything but positive experiences with them.

So on a side note YAY! the firewall is down and nsxprime is available at work today!

Back to topic

So I get paid on the 28th of Sept (friday) as usual, monday i get a call from visa fraud protection asking me to verify some charges. I havent made any charges yet... So they list them off and I tell them NO i didnt make those. They cancel my card numbers and freeze my accounts to stop anymore charges from being applied. I call my bank, turns out someone got ahold of my debit card/credit card info and took my account from 1700$ paycheck to -400$ in 2 days. And my credit card is maxed out... Of course this has to happen in the middle of my trying to close on my first house. So the bank freezes my cards and my accounts BUT wont do anything until all the charges actually clear! I have to actually pay for all the crap this person bought with my money before BoA will do anything about it. So then I wait the 2 weeks (BoA is very very slow..) for them to clear, then they finally send me the paperwork to sign saying yes its fraud, so i sign and turn that in. Now i get to wait up to 90 days for this investigation to go thru before They will refund the money to my account.

After all this I've decided to cancel my BoA accounts and I've opened new ones with USAA. This has been a horrible mess and I hope no one from nsxprime ever has to deal with this kind of crap. :mad:

They have derivatives gone awry and Structured Investment Vehicles to worry about..

I closed an account with BofA a few years ago. When they asked why, I said "The bank made too many mistakes." The teller went off to talk with a manager, and I thought maybe the manager would come ask me what they had done wrong. But no. They just closed the account.

USAA has been good to me (military status)
I have auto and home insurance with them also.

Back to topic

Back to topic

Your hopes are shattared. On our honeymoon my wife and I had our debit card stolen, thankfully while we were on our way home. With in a few minutes the theif had charged a ton of crap on the card. It would have been even worse if the whole thing happened on the way to our destination. The whole thing took a while to resolve but we did get all the money back. Looking back on it I realized exactly how it all happened. I was in line in the store and someone in front of me dropped a 20 on the floor. I bent down to pick it up and gave it back to the person who dropped it. When I was bent down it opened the pocket on my slack type shorts for the person behind me to quickly grab the card from my front pocket. Thinking really hard I could remember the person in front of me and the person behind me in line were both together at the gas pump across from where I was pumping gas. I was totally set up and that is the part which pisses me off the most. :mad:

I have never heard one good thing said about BoA and you are about 1 of 12 people I know who also have been screwed by BoA and have never been happier since switching.

I've always had good experiences with BofA.

We had a similar issue years ago when buying a house. Before close, several thousands of dollars went missing from one of our accounts - the account we were going to use for the down. I caught it on our online banking statement. The next day I walked into my local BofA, got the branch manager and had them fix it for me. Two days later the money was back in the account. Never found out what happened. Only knew that we are in CA and someone in Louisiana stole the money.

Now that we've moved, I made a point to meet my new BofA branch manager. Now she knows who I am and if I ever have any issues, I'll go straight to her office.

Every bank is going to make mistakes...no doubt about that. What sets them apart is the manner and the speed in which they correct their errors.

BofA is bad, good, or great depending on your service level. Standard retail banking isn't especially good - but pretty much typical of retail banking. Premier Banking is much better - they send you birthday cards and Christmas presents, let you bypass lines, better rates on deposits (e.g., sweep accounts), lower rates on mortgages/credit cards, and they add a few bank locations unavailable to normal retail customers. Private banking is better still, with even more locations not open to the hoi polloi and even more lavish service, but the cost of entry is about $3M of investable funds.

Clearly it's better to be rich. For ordinary retail banking, credit unions seem to be the better way to go...

Personally, BofA has been extremely good to me. YMMV.

I have used BoA's Private banking in the past, it was great and super good service. But again you have to do millions with them to get this service and if you do that much with any bank the service will be good.

This just happened to me and I am still fighting it with my local bank. Someone got a hold of my debit card and emptied my bank account, as well as overdrawing me a couple of thousand dollars. My bank didn't catch that there were 4 charges in California all at the same Wal-Mart all within a couple of hours - totalling nearly $2000.

They gave me the money back during their investigation, but said if they find it not to be fraud that they will take all the money back out of my account again...

Sucks.

Back